Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Overwhelmed choosing Lodging in Destin (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/overwhelmed-choosing-lodging-in-destin-529252/)

ls2005 May 15th, 2005 12:24 PM

Overwhelmed choosing Lodging in Destin

Hi!

I've done a search (twice!) but I still can't figure out where to stay in Destin. I have a reservation for June at the Bayside Inn (Sandestin) but I don't think I'm getting a good deal at $200 a night if I can have a condo gulf front at $200 a night as I've seen on some sites. I'm nervous about booking a condo though.. any recommendations?

I've also been looking at Grayton Beach as an alternative, but I think we're priced out of the lodging there.

thank you for your time!

Fairhope May 15th, 2005 03:36 PM

I have stayed twice at Bayside for conferences and for this it is ok----but not for a beach vacation UNLESS you intend to be pool bound which was fine for me. You could end up with a parking lot view at BSide!!
Why are you nervous about a condo?
Go to GB to eat at Red Bar (early) anyway. (If it's the right night you can get crabcakes to die for)

mermaid_ May 15th, 2005 04:07 PM

There's no reason whatsoever to be nervous about renting a condo in Destin or anywhere else on the Florida panhandle. We've been doing it for nearly 20 years and have yet to be disappointed in our beachside vacations! Get back on the internet and plug in "Destin condo rentals" and you will come up with many rental agencies. We've used Abbott, which is has been bought out by ResortQuest. Another popular, dependable agency is Newman-Dailey. Destin is a lot more built up than Grayton Beach. In fact, we've long since started staying down at that end of the beach because there are hardly any high rises. Grayton Beach does not have many condo units--it's mostly houses. Seagrove Beach, the next town over, and Santa Rosa beach, have the condos. Not high rise, though, like Destin. Try Rivard or Garrett, which are good agencies.

bamakelly May 15th, 2005 04:37 PM

Mermaid has given you excellent advice. The standard of accomodations in that area is the condo. it's really the best way to go, IMO. Anywhere else, I look for a hotel, but not in the panhandle. The agencies listed above are a great place to start.

bamakelly May 15th, 2005 04:39 PM

Sorry--forgot toa dd--www.vrbo.com is also a good aplce. I get really overwhelmed there, but you can take a virtual tour of the specific unit you want to reant there. Could be very helpful in making your decision.

bamakelly May 15th, 2005 04:40 PM

Sorry--forgot to add--www.vrbo.com is also a good place. I get really overwhelmed there, but you can take a virtual tour of the specific unit you want to rent there. Could be very helpful in making your decision.

ls2005 May 17th, 2005 07:03 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions.. I'm back today with another question, but I'm going to put it in a separate post (hope no one minds..)

atlswan May 17th, 2005 07:25 AM

The suggestion for www.vrbo.com is a good one. I've used them four times with no worries. I stay at Gulf Place in Santa Rosa, which is across a not busy street with direct private access to the beach. They are incredibly nice condos, in my opinion, with all the comforts of home. The ones I have stayed in are decorated very nicely and are up to date.

Gulf Place also has some small shops and restaurants. It's about 10-15 minutes east of Destin.

tuckerdc May 18th, 2005 08:09 AM

We also had very good luck with a condo we found at VRBO - in Seagrove, right on the beach. Good value; great location; great getaway. We only drove near Destin once on that visit and I was turned off by the volume of traffic. Loved the more laid-back (and low-rise) ambience of Seagrove area. (B/t/w, we've rented condos on the Gulf Coast in Texas and Alabama, and along with our Seagrove experience, all have been positive.)

ellen_griswold May 18th, 2005 08:40 AM

We also used VRBO.com for our condo during spring break '04 and it worked out great. The condo was right in destin near restaurants etc, and just across the street from the gulf, had a balcony with view and also a private beach access. I think the actual name was 'Gulfview', also.