Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Overnights in either Bryce Canyon or Zion National Parks, NV?

Aug 27th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

In May we look forward to our first time visit to AZ and NV. Our plans include flying into Phoenix and spend 2 nights in Sedona, drive to Grand Canyon Village area for an overnight , to Lake Powell area for an overnight, to Bryce Canyon or Zion NP areas for an overnight, and final 3 nights in Las Vegas. Any suggstions about staying either in Bryce Canyon versus Zion NP areas. We're in our early 60s and the stretch from Sedona to Las Vegas may deserve 2 nights somewhere in between. THANKS,
Aug 27th, 2009, 10:21 AM

To aid you in your planning, Zion and Bryce Canyon are both in Utah, not Nevada.

I hate Vegas, so I wouldn't spend any time there, but you probably have a reason for wanting to go.

We spent a night in Page, went to Antelope Canyon (amazing slot canyon), then drove to Bryce Canyon that afternoon. We spent the night at the Bryce View Lodge so we could be in the park for sunrise, which was incredible.

I would take a night or two away from Vegas and spend a night in Zion as well.

Lee Ann
Aug 27th, 2009, 11:23 AM

Bryce is just incredible. I would spend the night there. Make sure to look at the stars when it's dark at Bryce and then as previously posted, get up early for the sunrise at Bryce.
I also agree the a visit to Antelope Canyon while at Lake Powell is worth it. It is different from anything else you'll see.
Aug 27th, 2009, 12:30 PM

Both Bryce and Zion are amazing. Bryce is at a higher altitude and much cooler, it's also a little like the Grand canyon, but much smaller and with more unusual rock formations. Zion is big and majestic, a great place to relax. I personally did a night in each, and 2 nights in Vegas (which is more than enough). If I had to choose, I'd probably do Zion, but it's a tough call.
Aug 30th, 2009, 04:27 PM

From reading your post I get the feeling your interests are in Sedona and Las Vegas and Bryce & Zion are just places to break up the drive.

Big Mistake.

In my opinion Bryce & Zion are the attractions and the Grand Canyon is way below them.

Las Vegas is in a different category.
Sep 2nd, 2009, 01:03 AM

I have to agree that you are short changing yourself by deciding between Zion and Bryce for one day but spending three in Vegas. But hey, it's your trip. I will answer your question.

You mention being worried about the long drive between Sedona and Vegas. With this in mind, if you are wanting to decrease you time in the car, you are better off going from the Lake Powell area to Zion then back to Vegas. It is the shortest route. I live 20 minutes from Zion and absolutely love both parks. If I had to choose between them, I would choose Zion myself.
Sep 2nd, 2009, 04:37 AM

Agreee with all the folks who say stay in Bryce and Zion. Go to www.nps.gov and click on the parks. You can make reservations on line and should do it soon. If they say they are full when you try, take their phone number and call and keep calling as people cancel frequently.
Sep 2nd, 2009, 05:26 AM

If the lodge inside Zion is full, there are nice lodgings in Springdale UT just adjacent to Zion NP, many with red rock views.

We did Best Western which was reasonably priced for a view room but there are others.
Sep 2nd, 2009, 07:52 AM

I agree with all those who are encouraging you to spend at least a night in both Zion and Bryce if possible. In May it should be cool enough to enjoy. You are very fortunate to be making this trip !
Sep 2nd, 2009, 08:44 AM

I would second the suggestion to spend at least one night at Bryce and at Zion. The Desert Pearl Inn in Springdale, just outside the Zion entrance, is a wonderful place to stay.
Sep 2nd, 2009, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for correction of Zion & Bryce in Utah, not NV!!! We prefer seeing the NPs and other of nature's outside wonders rather than Vegas, but the 3 nights there allows a day trip to Hoover Dam and a last night's rest before flying back home to Norfolk, VA. It sounds like we need to schedule more time for Bryce and Zion NPs and try to see sun ups and sun downs in both. Thanks for all of your current help, we'll be back for more suggestions before our May trip. I retire December 31, and this will be our first retirment trip following the winter months. TripPointer.
Sep 2nd, 2009, 04:38 PM

I would spend as much time possible at Bryce and Zion. Unless you are hiking or rafting there isn't that much to do at GC. The dam is nice to see. The more I visit Vegas the less I like it. One nice meal is enough for me. You'll see far better shows with in the parks than with any show. Have Fun.
Sep 9th, 2009, 04:05 PM

Just got back three weeks ago from a National Park tour from Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, then Vegas. Great itenerary. We stayed at the Zion Mountain Ranch (google it). Absolutley perfect cabins in a great setting. Very reasonably priced and best of all, it is about a 10 minute drive from the East entrance of Zion and an hour drive to Bryce. Both are beautiful parks. I would highly recommend the El Tovar Hotel in the Grand Canyon. I would also definitely stay in Vegas. Sounds like a great trip