Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Outstate Nevada: Should I even visit these places?

Nov 19th, 2002, 03:00 PM
Jersey Guy

I'll be going Las Vegas next year-most likely in the spring- for work related conference. I have been to Vegas before and after a couple days it becomes the same old same old.

I was thinking about exploring some outstate areas and maybe even spending the night. There is very little usable info that I can find so I have brought it here to this forum. I am a single guy that likes to golf, sight see and enjoys good food.

I'll name them and you tell me if it is worth going (even spending the night) or to skip it. Thanks in advance.

Laughlin-Do you have to be a grandparent or a biker to go there and have fun?

Carson City-What is there to do?

Parumph-ditto

Incline Village-?

Any other place?

Nov 19th, 2002, 03:14 PM
kkj

Depending on your interests and your willingness to travel distances would dictate what you could do. Incline Village, Lake Tahoe and Carson City are pretty far away for a quick overnight trip. There is a ton of stuff to do in the Lake Tahoe area.

Skip Laughlin. You don't have to be a biker or Grandparent to have a good time there, but it is basically a Vegas wanna be. If you are already in Vegas why go to Laughlin.

You might want to consider Mesquite and then head over to do Zion and parts of Utah.

Nov 19th, 2002, 03:41 PM
daytripper

You might want to consider booking a Southwest flight out of Vegas to one of many numerous destinations which are only about an hour or less by plane for your overnight visit. For example, Reno (Lake Tahoe), Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Diego, Salt Lake City, Albuqurque (sp) for Sante Fe. If you book early enough, you can usuall get these flights for less than $100 RT and they are all non stop. Have fun.

Nov 19th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Jersey Guy

Thanks for your input. I guess the closest place I mentioned is Pahrumph (sp?). It seems like it is only about an hour or two away--something more manageable than Reno area. I read that there is a csino there and a restaurant? Is it worth going? Anythig else there? Golf?? tHANKS!

Nov 19th, 2002, 08:52 PM
Randy

You like golf try St. George,Utah. SW Utah nature and golf.

Nov 20th, 2002, 06:38 AM
cowpoke

You may want to look at a visit to the Mustang Ranch or one of the other Nevada legal brothels. I believe one or two even provide limo service from Vegas. (It is NOT legal in Clark County where Vegas is located, though that does not prevent). Of course you want need your golf clubs, but then again, you might want to take a wood.

Nov 20th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Brothel

The Chicken Ranch and Sheri's Ranch are located in Pahrump. They bith provide complimentary Limo servive to and from hotels in Las Vegas. They are the closest brothels about 60 miles from Las Vegas.

Nov 20th, 2002, 12:31 PM
vegaslocal

Depending upon how early in the spring you are coming, you might want to consider an overnight trip to Death Valley. Temperatures there are downright balmy through the beginning of April. They have a lovely golf course there that is relatively inexpensive (less than $50) for this area. Also there is a historic hotel called the Furnace Creek Inn with a sring-fed swimming pool. If I remember correctly, it takes about 1 hour and 45 minutes to drive there. For more information go to www.furnacecreekranch.com.

I can't recommend visiting Pahrump or Laughlin, although you will drive through Pahrump to get to Death Valley, should you go.

Later in the spring, Zion National Park or Bryce Canyon would be a good overnight trip. Driving time is about 3 hours.

Have a great time here in Las Vegas!