Reload this Page >

Outstanding travel sites in Montana

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 1998, 07:39 AM
JLS

Will be touring Montana in late summer and I am interested in famous locations to tour and view other then the Glacier Park. Would love first hand information on motels in the Glacier Park area and also other places as a tour the state. I would appreciate talking to anyone who has toured this beautiful state.
Thank you for any information you can provide.

Old Apr 22nd, 1998, 07:41 PM
gloria

jls -- montana is a HUGE state -- even glacier park, if done right could take a good week all by itself -- once your finished touring glacier, head south along the east side of flathead lake to missoula -- st ignatious has a mission to visit -- missoula's a fun city -- head south out of there up the beautiful bitterroot valley through hamilton and darby and drop east into the amazing big hole valley -- if you enjoy native american history, don't miss the big hole battle field, and the hot springs in wisdom -- from wisdom head for virgina city through dillon -- bannock is an old ghost town, which was the first state capital, and worth touring -- check out bozeman and head for red lodge, the north side of yellowstone -- don't miss the cooke city highway (highway 212), it is one of the 10 most beautiful highways in all of america -- yellowstone is worth touring of course, but don't just go to old faithful -- the other parts of the park are more spectacular -- also, the trip along the yellowstone river to billings is very nice as well -- i've left out areas -- like i said montana is huge -- if you have additional questions, don't hesitate to email -- i'll respond.......

Old Jun 1st, 2005, 06:38 PM
B2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gloria=wondering if you have reccomendations on where to stay in the Bitterroot. Thanks.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 05:20 AM

You might want to visit the National Bison Range just outside Moiese which is not too far from St Ignatius Mission located in St. Ignatius. You might like the Garnet ghost town near Greenough or the Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman. Great Falls which is part of Lewis and Clark lore is outside town of same name. Part of the Beartooth Hwy is closed due to landside.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Let's have a seance to contact gloria from seven years ago . . .

GLORRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 05:28 AM

From the mountains of East Tennessee, our family has used five major vacations for Montana and Wyoming and we are planning our nest adventure.
Based upon our experiences, I recommend time in each of the following sites in Montana;
1) Helena- a great Capitol City- my personal favorite of all capitols. Visit the Capitol, the "gulch" of downtown, the State Historical Museum. Clse by are the Gates of the Mountains on the Missouri River. Great little town that reminds me of my home here in Tennessee.
2) Great Falls- This is a good stop for the Charles Russell Museum, Giant Springs, The Great Falls, and the Lewis and Clark Museum. Great things to do!
3) Swan River Valley/ Seely Lake- Good base camp for outdoor activities. Reasonably close to Missoula for day trips.
4) Glacier park area- you will find plenty of info about Glacier in the forum. Need at least four days. Recommend Polebridge for a day visit, outdoor activities, etc.
When in the area, visit Bigfork- a great little town or a comfortable base camp.
5) Missoula- Good place to visit but I do not recommend staying there as there are way too may better places in the area. Campus nice, hike the mountain, but no need to stay long. Missoula remains our least favorite place in Montana.
6) Deerlodge and nearby Ghost Towns- Good day visit. We liked the Grant-Kohors Ranch, the Garnet ghost-town, the old state prison. Good day to take them all in.
7) Bozeman- Really good town with lots to do in and around the area. Great airport for getting into Montana.
8) Southwestern Montana- Bannick, Jackson, Wisdom, Hamilton, Virgina City, etc- We had much fun and enjoyment in these areas. The Big Hole Battlefield, the Lewis and Clark trail areas, the hot springs, etc. Several days needed for all things.
8) Misc- The Bison Range, the Mission in St. Ignatius, Yellowstone
If you are going in the winter, go to Big Mountain and enjoy the Whitefish?Columbia Falls area.
Have fun and here is for planning our next trip out.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 06:38 AM

I would like to kow the # this thread was when the person who found in recently replied?
I was awestruck at Little Big Horn battlefield. For the determination of both the cavalry and the indians.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 09:46 AM

WARNING: Original Post dated 1998!

ARKANSASNURSE,

If you click on Montana up there on the left little window next to search, you only have to go to the 400's to find messages that date back to 1998.

Utahtea