Outrigger waikiki or Royal Hawaiian hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2008, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be visiting Maui the 9th of May-14th.Both hotels sounded lovely. But, has anyone visited either and what are your thought? thanks
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 04:50 AM

8833 ... both of those hotels are in Waikiki on the island of Oahu, not Maui.
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 05:01 AM

Oh, go to the Royal Hawaiian so you can report on the big renovation project presently in progress. The hotel is closed now, but due to reopen in January. They are upgrading all the rooms and public areas plus adding 3 new pools. I have stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki. It has a great location and is nice enough, but just a big concrete box on the outside. The Royal Hawaiian has such a rich history and beautiful facade. I've only been there for drinks, but hope to stay in the future.
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I really meant to say O'ahu not Maui. But, I will also be in Maui the week before. Any good hotel ideas?
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 07:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you're interested in Royal Hawaiian you can check the construction progress to see if it'll be done before next May. It's a much more unusual hotel (old and stylish). Outrigger is a more typical standard place. Both are right on the beach.

Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 07:03 PM

We are just back from a few weeks in Hawaii. We stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach (deluxe oceanfront) and also at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Despite the crowds at both places, The Hilton was much nicer. The rooms were cheaper, larger, had better ocean front views, and it is located on a much wider section of beach than the Outrigger. If you can, I'd try to book rooms in the Ali Tower, which is a step up or two from the other towers. It has it's own check-in desk, so you can avoid the potential crowds, as well as its own pool and health club. We thought it was worth the extra money, but even so, it was still cheaper than The Outrigger!

Also, if it matters, we ate at the famous DUKES restaurant in The Outrigger, and thought it was nearly inedible. COuldn't understand why, other than the history of the place, anyone suggests eating there!

In Maui, we had a wonderful stay in Kaanapali at The Sheraton. We lucked out and got rooms in Bldg. 6, overlooking the famous Black Rock and snorkeling area. Our rooms were truly luxurious, and with my AAA card, I nabbed them for $280/night! Loved the grounds there, gorgeous beach, the only negative thing I can think to say is that the food was not good. But the hotel offers shuttle service into Lahaina, where there are some really excellent restaurants ( LONGHI'S is absolutely amazing!!).

By the way, The Sheraton is often considerably cheaper than its neighbor, The Westin, which apparently has smaller rooms, but a very nice pool. We visited the spa there, and it was so crowded, that we couldn't wait to get back to the more relaxed feel of The Sheraton.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 08:45 PM

I'm with you weadles! I have eaten at Duke's many times, always with out of town guests who just HAVE to go there. I've never been the least bit impressed with my meal, I just don't get it!
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 10:06 PM

I like Duke's especially for breakfast & their lunch buffet.

Lots of Oahu info:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34812564
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 12:28 PM
dmlove

The food at Duke's - meh!, but the setting is gorgeous (we only eat at the bar)

Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 01:41 PM

Agree with Weadles on the Ali'i Tower at HHV. We stayed there last year and liked our ocean view room very much. The resort is a bit of a zoo, but with the private facilities of the Ali'i tower you feel a little isolated and insulated from the goings on outside the tower. We liked being a bit removed from the cheek-to-cheek beach scene down by the Outrigger, the RH and Moana.

If I were going again, I'd go for the Royal Hawaiian.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 02:11 PM

We had a fine stay at the Outrigger, but the Royal Hawaiian looks beautiful. Dukes had a good breakfast buffet ( which, I believe, was included with our room), but our dinner there was just ok. However, having a Lava Flow at that setting is spectacular.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 04:46 PM

The Royal Hawaiian DOES look beautiful, but unless they've reconfigured the rooms, you should be aware that many of them are tiny and, as you know, very expensive.
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 05:31 AM
aj

We have decided to skip Italy this year and go back to Hawaii after 25 years. I have booked a week in the Royal Hawaiian aka Pink Palace. I am so excited because all the photos of the hotel update look wonderful! I love that the designers kept the old world style. Hopefully the "star ghosts" from the 20's and 30's will still be there... I will report back in several weeks.
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 07:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The original post here is from 2008. I mention it only because I was reading above about the "remodel" of RH going on, which is now well completed, right?
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 10:12 AM

Yes, the RH had a nice grand re-opening ceremony recently & is lovelier than ever! Have only heard great things about it!
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:49 PM

royal hawaiian!! i just like the waikiki beaches and have stayed at hilton ha village lovely but i like to be where the action is. outrigger on the beach is better if you have kids, much more relaxed.