Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Outrigger Reef or Outrigger Waikiki?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/outrigger-reef-or-outrigger-waikiki-247525/)

Rachel Aug 9th, 2002 08:15 AM

Outrigger Reef or Outrigger Waikiki??

Hello,<BR>I saw these two hotels on the map. Which one would you recommend. Both are ocean view rooms. Hoever the Outrigger Waikiki is about $200 than Outrigger Reef for 5 nights.<BR>

nita Aug 9th, 2002 09:11 AM

Check Expedia and Orbitz for more info on hotel, and for possible better pricing.

Rachel Aug 9th, 2002 10:02 AM

From one Rachel to another:<BR>First, try doing a search on here for the Outrigger Reef...this question has been asked/answered much before.<BR><BR>We stayed at the Reef in June and it was "okay." The major difference between the two is that the Reef is on the beach and the Waikiki is in the center of the main drag where all the nice shops and action are. Didn't see the rooms there but our rooms were decent...nothing fancy mind you but generally clean if not a little outdated. The Reef was pretty much a lot of families and tons of kids but we were there during summer so who knows? I don't know if the Waikiki is $200 more or less according to your post but I will tell you we paid app. $145 a night and that was about all it was worth at the Reef. Anything more isn't really worth it and you could find the same amentities at another high rise in the area.<BR><BR>Hope this helps!

lori Aug 9th, 2002 03:29 PM

Rachel,<BR>If Oahu is the only island you're going to I would stay at the Outrigger Waikiki which is also on the beach. If you are traveling on to another island I would save the money by staying at the Reef and then spend the money on a nicer at your next hotel. There is so much to do on Oahu that we were hardly ever in our room.

mary Aug 11th, 2002 10:31 PM

I have stayed at both hotels. One of the worst rooms I ever had was a standard room at the Reef. Good grief, it was like a tiny, dark cell. During that trip some friends had an oceanfront room on the Voyagers Club floor---drop dead view, large lanai, but the bathroom was so miniscule that it was hard to even turn around in it. (Our room was $99 a night with car, theirs was about $350 a night, no car.) I like the lobby area at the Reef better than the Outrigger Waikiki and there is great entertainment. The pool is large but has no ocean view. The resaturant area has just been remodeled and is lovely. <BR><BR>The Outrigger Waikiki is ground zero Waikiki, right in the thick of things. We had a "partial ocean view", it wasn't spectacular but better than the standard at the Reef. Duke's is located here, lots of fun at night if you like rowdy bands. <BR><BR>I heartily recommend using the valet at both hotels as their parking garages are really tough to navigate.