Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Outlet mall within easy reach of New York?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2003, 01:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

Can anyone recommend an outlet mall within 2 hours drive of New York please? Am looking to visit from the UK in October.
Thanks a lot

Cathy
Old May 30th, 2003, 02:57 AM
gc

There's an outlet mall in Lenox, MA near the Mass/NY border.

I don't know of anything closer.
Old May 30th, 2003, 03:22 AM
mj

Cathy,
On Long Island, Tanger outlets in Riverhead are ~1.5hr by car. Website: http://www.tangeroutlet.com/

New Jersey has a group of outlets about the same or less distance from NYC.

NYC downtown areas also have some great shopping areas depending on what you're looking for - denizens of the City will hopefully respond as it's been a while since I've been down there.
Old May 30th, 2003, 03:26 AM

There is Jersey Gardens Mall in Elizabeth, NJ, off Exit 13A on the NJ Turnpike. About 30 minutes outside of NYC.
Old May 30th, 2003, 03:32 AM
AC

Hi:
Woodbury Commons is about 60 miles from NYC at Exit 16 of the NYS Thruway. There are buses leaving from the Port Authority to Harriman. Shortline is one of the Carriers.
Old May 30th, 2003, 03:52 AM

A second for Woodbury Commons---you can shop for days!
Old May 30th, 2003, 04:33 AM

Woodbury Commons, NY
Secaucus Outlet Mall, Secaucus NJ
Jersey Gardens, NJ
Old May 30th, 2003, 04:46 AM

Woodbury Common is definitely the #1 outlet mall on the East Coast, with nearly 250 stores. As previously mentioned, there is regular bus service from the Port Authority in NYC.
Old May 30th, 2003, 05:00 AM

Woodbury Commons is your best bet, in terms of proximity and selection. Seacaucus, while closer, doesn't have as many stores and they are spread out, which means you'll need to park multiple times. (Woodbury will also provide some nice fall scenary on the drive up. If you want to take the scenic route, take the George Washington Bridge to the Palisades Parkway thru Bear Mountain State Park.)

Tanger in Riverhead is comparable to Woodbury Common. However, it is a longer drive and traffic on LI can be a nightmare.
Old May 30th, 2003, 05:07 AM
caribtraveler

When you say NY, I presume you mean New York City right?
Anyway, yes Woodbury Common is the best one...just so many many many stores (heaven for the shopper in me)..if you go on a weekend, be prepared for awful traffic though and a bit of a drive from NYC.
The closest one to NYC is in Secaucus, NJ about 15 minutes from the Lincoln Tunnel...it's not a mall though, but stores spread in an area of Secaucus.
The outlets there are:
Clothes: Tommy Hilfinger, Nautica, Calvin Klein, Anne Klein, DKNY, Dana Buchman
Shoes: Kenneth Cole, Nine West, Cole Haan
Housewares: Mikasa, Lenox
Kids clothes: Carter's, the Children's Place, Oshkosh
There are other stores too but those are the ones that come to mind (cause I shop there too much!)

Old Jul 17th, 2003, 02:23 AM

topping.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 03:36 AM

Here is a website for Woodbury Commons www.premiumoutlets.com or try www.nyctourist.com/info_woodburycommon.htm

If you can't access the websites, here is the basic information from the site:
Woodbury Commons
498 Red Apple Court
Central Valley, New York (state, not city)
(845) 928-4000
Mon-Sat 10am to 9pm; Sun 10am to 8pm

by bus from New York City:
take the Gray Line bus from the Port Authority Bus Terminal (42nd Street & 8th Avenue). The bus leaves at 8:30am, 9:45am, 11:15am, noon every day. The trip takes about an hour each way. It's about $34 round trip. Website for Gray Line is graylinenewyork.com

The website for Jersey Gardens is www.jerseygardens.com
651 Kapkowsi Road (Exit 13A NJ Turnpike)
Elizabeth, New Jersey
Tel: 908-354-5900
Mall Hours: Monday to Saturday 10am - 9 pm
Sunday 11am-7pm

Jersey Gardens is located at Exit 13A of the New Jersey Turnpike. Jersey Gardens is accessible from the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan via New Jersey Transit Bus #111. Takes about 45 minutes and costs $4.35. For times and other information go to the New Jersey transit website at www.njtransit.com

FYI, the State of New York imposes a sales tax of 4.5% on virtually all purchases, including electronics, cameras, clothing and shoes. (There used to be an exemption for clothing, but as of June 1 2003 that exemption will no longer exist for at least one year.) The county and city in which the shop is located may also impose ADDITONAL taxes pf between 3-4.5%, making for an effect tax of between 7.5% - 8.5%. The price marked on an item does NOT include sales tax. You should keep this in mind when making purchases to make sure they are still a good buy. It used to be that you could avoid paying this if you did not take the items with you but shipped them out of the state. I don't know if that is the rule; also to ship them to the UK would probably cost more than the money you are saving buying in the US. You might pose a question on this thread about New York State sales tax; as I haven't shopped there in a while. FYI the sales tax in New York City is 8.5%, definitely keep this in mind when buying items there.

The State of New Jersey does not impose any sales tax on clothing or shoes. They do impose a 6% sales tax on most other items like handbags. I believe the Jersey Gardens Mall mentioned above has an exemption and only charges 3% tax. (This is an attempt to revitalize an older industrial city). This can make a big difference if you are buying a big-ticket item like jewellery, electronics, camera, etc.

Old Jul 17th, 2003, 05:32 AM

You've gotten great information here Cathy. But Tanger Mall in Riverhead (mentioned early in the thread) is more than a 1 1/2 hr drive-probably 2-2 1/2 hrs depending on traffic.

But don't underestimate the discounts to be found right in the city. Century 21 downtown is great. Daffy's, with several locations is very good for clothes. Bed, Bath & Beyond has wonderful housewares. Their location on 6th Ave (Ave of the Americas) & 17th St has many other discount/low price shops nearby. It's not as convenient to shop in the city without a car to hold your purchases, but you also save the expense of renting a car.

I had occassion to look at the Zagat Shopping Guide for NY yesterday for the first time. It was very thorough & lists everything you can imagine.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 07:53 AM

How is Tanger, by the way? I've been meaning to get over there. How does it compare to Woodbury?
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 08:22 AM

In order to avoid sales tax on clothing, I would suggest going to the Franklin Mills Mall in Philadelphia. There's no sales tax on clothes in Pennsylvania. Philadelphia is about a 1.5 hr drive from New York City.

Take the New Jersey Turnpike (95 south) take Exit #6 for the Pennsylvania Turnpike (276 west).

From the PA Turnpike take Exit #351 for US 1 toward Philadelphia/Trenton.

Exit onto Street Road/132 east, turn right on Knights Road, left on Mechanicsville, and left on Franklin Mills Drive.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 08:23 AM

Here's the website for Franklin Mills.

http://www.franklin-mills-mall.com/index2.html
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 08:28 AM

I just discovered that you can take Academy Bus Lines from The City down to Franklin Mills in Philadelphia.

Academy Bus Lines: (800) 557-8155 or (212) 971-9054

Round trip from the NY Port Authority to Franklin Mills. Tickets available at Academy windows 27 & 28 & Adirondack Trailways Ticket Plaza. Board bus on Lower Level Gate 5. $25 per person round trip. Complimentary shopping bag and coupon book with over $600 in savngs
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 09:17 AM
GoTravel

I agree with mclaurie about shopping in Manhattan. Great places that have either discounts/unique/inexpensive clothes are Daffys, H&M, Bolton's, Century 21, Strawberry, and sales at Macys and Bloomingdales. While I have no problem with outlet malls (my mother forced me out to Woodbury Commons), you can get Tommy Hilfiger, Liz, and Nine West anywhere.

Old Jul 17th, 2003, 10:36 AM

No sales tax on clothing in NJ either. Unfortunately sales tax has returned to NYC.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 10:39 AM

Michelle, I can't compare Tanger to Woodbury Commons because I haven't been to Woodbury (friends have & RAVE). My perception is Woodbury may be a bit more upscale. Tanger does have Off Fifth (Saks), Neimans, Escada, ABC Carpet but I haven't seen great bargains. I think Tanger's best buys are for casual clothes, particularly kids' things, and middle of the road stuff like Liz Claiborne, Tommy Hillfiger, Polo, Gap, Old Navy etc. I do like the Pottery Barn outlet there which also has stuff from Chambers & the other places owned by Pottery Barn. When family comes from England, they usually spend 2 days there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -