Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   outer banks vs. ocean city, md? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/outer-banks-vs-ocean-city-md-698769/)

momto5plus Apr 21st, 2007 05:33 AM

outer banks vs. ocean city, md?

Hi,

Our family usually vacations in Ocean City, MD every summer. We have five young children and live a simple lifestyle, don't smoke, drink, etc. In general, we enjoy O.C. but have noticed that it has gotten more crowded every year, and the traffic is awful. I'm also tiring of sitting next to smoking, drinking, sometimes tacky or rowdy types on the beach, especially considering my children are with me. I have heard a lot about the Outer Banks but after some research realized that it is not just one place but a string of places along the coast, each with their own style. We have heard that the Outer Banks are quiet, nice, and good for families. We're considering trying a vacation there, but don't know which location to choose. We just usually stay on the beach during the day, maybe take the kids to the boardwalk once or twice during our stay, ride the rides once or twice, eat breakfast at the condo, lunch on the beach (sandwiches we bring), and dinner is either in the condo or at a family restaurant, about a 50/50 split. We tend to like restaurants in O.C. such as Phillips 142nd st., Dumsers, Warrens in D.E. (no.#1 choice), etc., to give you an idea. That's about all we do,no night life, no dancing, bars, etc. We also tend to stay in very small, very affordable one bedroom condos that are "oceanside", only a block or two from the beach. We don't like to cross a major road to get to the beach, like Coastal Highway. Our taste in accomodations is very, very simple, with the 7 of us in a one bedroom condo. Sounds tight but isn't. The older ones sleep in sleeping bags, the little one is in a porta crib, etc., and it works out fine. We take care of the condo where we stay and have never had a problem.

So, I hope this gives you an idea of what we are looking for. Would folks recommend we try the Outer Banks and, if so, which location in specific (Duck, Kitty Hawk, etc.), especially considering the type of lifestyle we lead and the accomodations we are looking for. We are open to any type of accomodation as long as it is clean and budget friendly, probably not more than about $700 per week or so. We usually stay for two weeks. Is this possible?

I'd appreciate any comments from folks. Thanks!

nycgirl1 Apr 21st, 2007 06:44 AM

My family has often vacationed in Nags Head and love going there. It's never insanely crowded, the beaches are pleasant, easy acommodations, and a few good restaurants for those nights we don't cook in.

I think you'll love the Outer Banks! Take some time to visit the Wright Brothers memorial, which is really interesting, and go to some of the lighthouses.

I will say that the Banks take awhile to get to because they're so remote, but it's worth it in the end. :)

cd Apr 21st, 2007 06:51 AM

The further sounth you go on the Outer Banks the less crowded it will be. I would say Nags Head is probably the most crowded but even at that I've never noticed the beach being crowded. I don't think you would go wrong no matter what area you choose. I love the Outer banks. Try vrbo.com and get a house for your family. You will love it!

KathyK Apr 21st, 2007 02:47 PM

I don't know much about the Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills areas, but have been to Duck and Corolla. I don't know if you'll find a one bedroom place in Duck or Corolla, as most accomodations are multiple bedroom houses, usually 4 or more. And if you're going in the summer, $700 is not possible. I would suggest finding a realtor in the area to see if they can find what you're looking for, I'm sure it exists somewhere along the Outer Banks. We have used Twiddy and Carolina Designs. You'll find the Outer Banks to be very family oriented.