Outer Banks - Romantic Easter Weekend

Mar 1st, 2005, 12:09 PM
Original Poster
Outer Banks - Romantic Easter Weekend

I am planning a weekend trip to the Outer Banks for the last weekend in March. Based on reviews I've read here, I'm considering staying at the First Colony Inn in Nags Head or Sanderling in Duck. Looking forward to relaxed walks on the beach, lighthouse exploration and good meals.

I would appreciate any infomation, tips or "must see/do's" for the trip. Any recommendations for a bed & breakfast or restaurants? Thanks for your help!
Mar 14th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Original Poster
Mar 14th, 2005, 09:05 AM
we have been to the Sanderling and loved it. Don't know anything about the other. Many of my frieds go there too.
Mar 14th, 2005, 09:24 AM
The First Colony Inn is a lovely place but I'd opt for the Sanderling in a heartbeat.

I think you've outlined the must do's nicely, beach walks, good food and lighthouses.

The Currituck Beach and Bodie Island lighthouses will be closest to you (regardless of which place you stay). Hatteras Island and Ocracoke lighthouses are doable in a day but I probably wouldn't make the trek if you're only there for the weekend.

If you're a nature fan, the Pea Island Wildlife Refuge offers some great opportunities to see birds which migrate through the area. Last year we were able to spy on a nest of baby osprey from a telescope Park Rangers had set up in the visitor center.

A visit to the town of Manteo on Roanoke Island is a fun way to spend an afternoon. Nice shops and galleries. Manteo Booksellers is a very pleasant independent bookshop.

The food at the Sanderling is quite good. Some of my other favorite restaurants include:

Blue Point Grille -(moderate). Great food. soundside in Duck

Flying Fish- Casual setting but sophisticated food. MP 10 Business Rd

Carolina Blue (upscale) Southern Shores Business Rd.

Ocean Blvd (upscale) same owner/chef as 1587. MP 2 Beach Rd. Kitty Hawk

1587 (upscale) located at the Tranquil House Inn on the waterfront.

Awful Arthur's Oyster Bar - casual seafood MP 6 Beach Rd Kill Devil Hills

Colington Cafe (moderate) wonderful seafood. On Colington Rd (soundside) in Kill Devil Hills

Hope you have a fantastic weekend!

Search this Thread