Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Outer Banks question (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/outer-banks-question-671517/)

cfrieday Jan 18th, 2007 01:40 PM

Outer Banks question

When visiting the Outer Banks this summer I am wondering 2 things. What is the main difference between the Sound and the Ocean. The 2nd is Weather in mid August. Is that Hurricane Season or would we still be safe 8/11-8/18? Thanks Cheryl

clueless Jan 18th, 2007 01:51 PM

The sound is the bay and is can be, depending on the which area, a along walk across the highway to the beach.

Mid August may or may not have a hurricane. Strongly suggest you get hurricane insurance.

HKP Jan 18th, 2007 01:52 PM

I assume you aren't just asking what "sound" and "ocean" mean..... if you haven't yet, look carefully at a map before you start renting things.

Remember that the Outer Banks are a string of islands that curve out rather far into the ocean and then in again, creating 2 sounds (more or less), Pamlico and Albemarle. If you rent on an island, there are houses on the sound side and houses on the ocean side.

The sound is calmer, sometimes warmer, shallower and more protected but won't have the commanding ocean view, obviously -- best for boaters. Oceanside is less protected and if the surf's up, you'll see and hear it. Best for true beachcombers.

Hurricane season is, technically, June to end of November but the most frequent hurricanes come between Aug. 1 and Sept. 15. So you won't be "safe," but on any given day or week, your odds are reasonably good and you'll always have a lot of notice. If you look at your particular week over history, you won't find a cluster of hurricanes, even if it's hurricane season. Common wisdom (which is worth about 3 cents) says that early hurricanes go to/through the Gulf while later in the season they come up the Atlantic Coast -- LOTS of exceptions to that rule.

Just see about trip insurance and pay attention to weather reports and evacuation order. (If you're truly worried about getting off the banks, notice where the bridges are and where the evacuation routes go and plan accordingly.)

HKP Jan 18th, 2007 01:53 PM

Clueless, you and I must be following each other around these NC posts! ;-)

clueless Jan 18th, 2007 01:55 PM

HKP,

Lol. Yours are alot better.

I've been going done there since 1966.

beentheretwice Jan 18th, 2007 01:59 PM

Just making clear about the sound vs. beach: there really wasn't any beach on the sound side. It goes right from sea grass to shallow tidewaters on the sound side. The traditional sandy beach is only found the beach side.

Different strokes for different folks.

cfrieday Jan 18th, 2007 02:53 PM

Thanks for the input. We are true beach goers, love the surf and noise that comes with it. Originally we were thinking we would go in July, however some great rates from 8/11 on. That brought about my hurricane question. Do either of yu have any suggestions as to best area to rent. I am hoping for Ocean front. Even consider going down as far as Topsail beach. Just depends on distance we will be driving from Buffalo, NY area. Anyother feedback would be great. Again thanks.

clueless Jan 18th, 2007 02:55 PM

See the other Outers Banks post to narrow it down.

Judy Jan 18th, 2007 02:59 PM

Good choice. We find the sound hotter and more humid and buggy than the Ocean side.
We've rented in the Duck/Corolla area several times and were happy with our choice.

HKP Jan 18th, 2007 03:22 PM

If you're driving from Buffalo, suggest looking for far-north accommodations (Corolla - pronounced Krawlah-- or Whalehead or Duke) -- then maybe make a loop through Ocracoke on your way back. Closer to the time, come back and ask routing and timing. There are tricks (like spending night before arrival in a motel on mainland, e.g., Elizabethtown or Manteo, and then cross the bridge in the morning to avoid the crowds -- you can't move in before 3 but you can putter around once you're in the neighborhood).

cfrieday Jan 18th, 2007 04:09 PM

Thanks for the help. I just did another posting trying to find approximately Carova is located. Do you know?

Judy Jan 18th, 2007 04:14 PM

Carova is north of Corolla and accessible by 4 WD vehicle.....no road, just sand. It used to be accessible from Virginia Beach in the north but now one has to take the route across the bridge at Southern Shores. Rentals may be more reasonable as not everyone can get there.

Jill2 Jan 18th, 2007 06:02 PM

Hi -

Every year for the past 14 years,we have rented a cottage for a week at the Outer Banks. We usually go in late August because the rates go down and our kids don't start school until after Labor Day. We've never had any close calls with hurricanes and don't buy insurance for it. But over the years, I have known folks who were evacuated due to hurricanes, usually in late September or October.

All we need is the great prognosticator, Pat Robertson, to predict another tsunami/major hurricane hitting the East Coast this year so we can be SURE there won't be any problems!
Have a great trip.

FlyingMaltese Jan 21st, 2007 09:10 AM

You might want to consider semi-oceanfront as an option. A lot of semi-oceanfronts have nice water views without the extra expense that is charged for oceanfront.

danielb661 Jan 22nd, 2007 11:15 AM

If you wanted to go Aug 18 - 25, here is a great house that's available at that time. Most of the houses are rented for August at this point.

http://www.surforsound.com/properties/406.html

OBXBarb Jan 23rd, 2007 06:46 PM

A good website to access the many rental agencies in the outer banks is www.obxconnection.com. I think you will still find many oceanfront choices. Sun Realty and Prudential have the largest number of homes. Semi-oceanfront or even oceanside can have really great ocean views and excellent access. Many of the websites have how many feet the house is from the ocean in each house description. I agree you should get hurricane insurance...many people I know have been evacuated, although the last few years have been quiet. The last big hurricane was Isabel 3 years ago. The sound has beautiful sunsets, but tough in August and lots of mosquitos.

FlyingMaltese Feb 2nd, 2007 05:14 AM

Just a quick response. Since you will be going in August, try to stay closer to the ocean. I think that the Sound side usually sustains more damage than the ocean side during the storms.

carolyna Feb 2nd, 2007 06:26 AM

We have been going to the village of Buxton on Hatteras Island for 30 + years. We have rented most of the houses on the ocean side there. Hatteras Realty and Midgett Realty are the two I recommend the most. Ocean, Cottage, North Tower, and South Tower are the streets that have the most "beach-accessible" houses. August is a crap shoot--we have gone a couple times in August, but only had to evacuate once.

We like Buxton because it is more of a family beach--not a lot of stores, the beach isn't as crowded as in Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, etc.

dgg Feb 2nd, 2007 06:55 AM

To answer your two questions...the sound faces the mainland and the water is murky. It's a good place to rent jet-skis, etc. It's not really for swimming. I personally don't care for the sound side, but some people prefer its calmness. The weather should be very warm in early August and I don't think you should worry about hurricanes too much. We always go the first week in July and it's fab!

If you've never been, the farther north you go (from Duck to Corolla (or Carova), the less kitschy. It's also easier to cross from the sound side if you want to hit the beaches. Rental prices are cheaper on the sound. Toward Kitty Hawk, it's really not as nice and you must cross a multi-lane highway to get to the ocean from the sound.

We do a week with extended family at Corolla Light. There are usually 12 of us and the kids range in age from 4 to 18. Everyone is happy. We rent a house on the ocean side with a private pool which comes in handy in the evening or after swimming in the salt water all day.

I haven't been to the very southern parts of the OBX for a while. I understand that Hatteras etc., haven't been ruined by overdevelopment too much yet. I remember it being very relaxing and rustic, a good place for fishermen. I don't know if that's changed in recent years.

The beaches are wide and great Atlantic waves if you like body surfing!

rhrd Feb 2nd, 2007 11:32 AM

Any thoughts on the ocean at the Outer Banks as compared to the ocean at the Jersey Shore? Other than being warmer, is it about the same?