Outer Banks or Kiawah Island?

Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outer Banks or Kiawah Island?

If you have been to both of these locations, I would be very interested to hear your opinion. This part of the United States is new to us and I am trying to make a decision for September of this year.
Thanks, Maggi
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 04:54 AM

It very much depends on what you are looking for. Kiawah is more an upscale/golf resort type setting. I actually prefer Seabrook (adjacent to Kiawah) + you are in close proximity to Charleston, some Plantations, etc. Although the Outer Banks has certain areas that would qualify (resorts & such), on the whole it is much more relaxed & laid back. What type of setting are you looking for & what do you like to do (or not do)while in a beach area ?
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 05:56 AM

Maggi- these two sites are apples and oranges! OBX encompasses over 100 miles of coastline resorts, rental homes and several towns large and small. Kiawah is one island/one resort.

First: where are you traveling from? There is no 'direct' way to the Outer Banks, either by air or car. Kiawah is about 45 min from the Charleston airport (CHS), and about 90 min from Savannah.

What do you like to do for vacation? OBX mostly has the beach, a few sights (an aquarium, Kitty Hawk monument), and - the beach. Kiawah has your typical golf/tennis, beach, and is a 45 min drive to historic downtown Charleston (aquarium, carriage tours) with southern plantations scattered around.

Accomodations? Most of my friends who go to OBX rent big houses. Kiawah has all types.

If you want a more sedate resort, I agree with "sanparis"- Seabrook is one island down from Kiawah, only less crowded and developed.

When I go to Kiawah/Seabrook, I feel like I'm transported to another region of the country (ex: mossy oaks), when I go to OBX, I feel like I'm at the beach. Make sense?

Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 06:49 AM
GoTravel

Kiawah Island. Also look at Wild Dunes.

They are both close to Charleston which is a Do Not Miss city.

Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 07:09 AM

I've visited both (in September, as well as other times of year), and they are both great destinations, but very different indeed. September is a glorious time to visit, but it's also hurricane season, so be prepared for that. Both spots seem to wear a bullseye on them that time of year.

You can pretty much find every sort of beach-oriented activity at both locations, but aside from the fact that Kiawah has close by one of the most interesting and attractive of American cities, the two locales have distinctly different "feels."

Kiawah feels very exclusive and faraway. You enter through a gate and are transported to an exquisitely groomed lowcountry paradise. Guests are expected to comply with the covenants (e.g. no beach towels hanging off your balcony railing). Some people feel stifled by this sort of conformity, while others are quite comfortable with it. (Seabrook is similar, though on a smaller scale.)

The Outer Banks, on the other hand, are more laid-back and free-wheeling. Highway 158 is a giant strip mall that zoning seemingly forgot. Diary Queens, putt-putt golf emporia, and Brew-Thrus are part of the landscape. This disappears the deeper yet get into the Hatteras National Seashore, however; here, the coast is wild and sparsely inhabited.

Either place has it's time and place. I personally prefer the feeling of escape that Kiawah offers -- a sort of genteel, deep Southern enclave quite unlike home. The Outer Banks, on the other hand, feel quite familiar.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 08:06 AM

Kiaweh is definitely nicer and less crowded.Both can be difficult to leave in the event of a hurricane so keep a plan B in mind.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

What initially appealed to me was the 10 Mile Beach on Kiawah and the fact you could ride your bike everywhere. We are driving in from a Labor Day weekend wedding in Atlanta to spend 5 days in a relaxed setting. (Flying into ATL and out of CHS). We don't plan to do any sightseeing except one day in Charleston. I checked out Seabrook and Wild Dunes, but Kiawah spoke to me. Faraway, genteel, escape, different world, all sound good to me Callaloo. Perhaps we should save OBX for a different trip.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 04:12 PM

Maggi,
I don't know if you have children with you, but the OBX surf is notorious for its undertow. I never felt like I could totally relax with mine when we were there. In contrast, although we never vacationed at Kiawah, we spent many summers at Hilton Head Island (which is a bit further north) and the undertow (and waves actually) are virtually non-existant. IMHO I would definitely opt for Kiawah.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 04:23 PM

Maggi,

Sounds like Kiawah is the right choice for you (I haven't been).

Just wanted to let you know that my sister and I had a great trip to Okracoke (sp?)--we didn't like "the looks" (too built up) of the rest of OBX, except for parts of Hatteras. But we really liked the laid-back, faux-piratey vibe of Ocracoke.

By the way, we are from California and haven't spent much time down south. But we sure liked Ocracoke.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 06:09 AM

Hi Maggi!

Well just to make things more interesting (and because I've met you) I'm going to recommend the Outer Banks. Ocracoke is a great idea if you want remote. Miles of beaches to walk (or jeep) on, camping or I believe there's a nice inn. You would drive all through the OBX to Cape Hatteras, great sightseeing, then take the ferry to Ocracoke. I've only camped there, but have rented the big mansions in Nags Head for family reunions. We love OBX, the setting is very beautiful, lots of kites and dunes like you've never seen. If you could find an oceanfront house, perhaps in Duck or Corolla, which I understand are a little less built up than Nags Head, I know you'd enjoy it.

Although I haven't been to Kiawah, I've been to Hilton Head and, just my opinion, I don't like my seashore gated and manicured. I like it wild and accessible.

Is is just two of you?
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 06:40 AM

If you're flying out of Charleston, find something near there. The Outer Banks of NC is a long drive away. If you want to come to NC, maybe one of the beaches between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach, SC.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 07:59 AM

Well, you really don't even have the OBX on your radar with your arrival and departure cities unless you want to spend HOURS driving to the OBX. It is a LONG way!!
There are many lovely beaches in SC near Charleston. Someone mentioned Wild Dunes. There is Pawley's Island up the coast a bit and Litchfield.
I agree about Hilton Head, but the other beaches are lovely.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Gretchen and ncgrrl, I checked out Mapquest and alas, it seems that OBX indeed is too far for us this trip. Thanks for the suggestions, my well-traveled friend, Joan, long time no see! We are going with a group of friends to a wedding and renting a condo together for the week. Hope all is well with you and yours.
Cheers, Maggi