Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Outer Banks in June (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/outer-banks-in-june-763297/)

okoshi2002 Jan 24th, 2009 08:53 AM

Outer Banks in June

Hi

We are contemplating combining a visit to my sister who lives in Winston-Salem, NC with a trip to Washington DC and NYC. We are coming from Hawaii with a teen son who has never been to the South nor the East coast, and yes, maybe look at colleges- no specific campuses as of yet. My husband wants to see the Atlantic coast- I'd like to see the Outer Banks.
Is there a way to do all this in 2 weeks or so and not be exhausted ?
Thanks for your help.

wliwl Jan 24th, 2009 11:07 AM

There aren't a million hotels in the Outer Banks. Most of the accommodations are rental homes, and they rent for a full week at a time.

I'm just telling you that so that if you try to do the trip in 2 weeks, you'll make a hotel reservation SOON.

I think you could do DC, NYC and the OBX in 2 weeks, but how you would fit in college tours is a mystery to me. (Personally I'd skip DC and just do NYC. Way more fun!)

okoshi2002 Jan 25th, 2009 03:14 PM

Can you give me some advice about where it would be best to base in the Outer Banks for 3-4 days ?

HKP Jan 25th, 2009 05:57 PM

If you look at a map, http://www.outerbanks.org/location_m...tive/index.asp
you'll see there are two bridges from the mainland over to the OBX - at the end of Rt. 148 near Southern Shores or the end of Rt 64 at Manteo. (Or the long way is to come up from the south combining ferries with Rte. 12).

Most of the places you'd be likely to stay for less than a week would be between those two bridges (Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, Nags Head). Be prepared for rather dense/congested typical resort town stuff in that stretch, but the pretty drive through the National Seashore is south of Nags Head - so it might make sense to stay slightly southward in Nags Head - although I don't know about motels there that would consider short stays.

Two howevers: 1. timing is everything in getting to and from the OBX - distances from the interstates are much further than you'd expect and the traffic TO the OBX on Fri. and Sat. and FROM the OBX on Sunday will be frightful. (Also, traffic on I-95 between Richmond and DC on summer weekends is horrific and slow - triple your normal travel time - be advised).

2. You might want to consider staying at The Sanderling well north of Southern Shores and north of Duck - pricey but possible to get a room for less than a week and a spectacular setting - on the beach with more space than most of the "between the bridges" places.

HKP Jan 25th, 2009 06:03 PM

About motels in Nags Head - I just googled "Nags Head" with "motel" and there were 6 or 7 listed. FYI addresses there are milepost numbers - and the higher the number the further south the address. "Milepost 7" would be closer to Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills; "Milespost 19" is closer to the beginning of the Nat'l Seashore.

okoshi2002 Jan 25th, 2009 06:57 PM

HKP

Thanks for your input.

I should mention that we will be coming from Winston-Salem where my sister lives. We plan to drive to OBX together after we fly in from Honolulu.

She is not native to NC and not too familiar with the OBX either.

After our stay she will return to Winston while my family plan to continue up to DC and NYC from where we will return home.

It would be wonderful to be near the National Seashore. We would love to see several lighthouses.

I do appreciate your advice about the traffic- will try to steer clear of weekend traffic.

I am hoping to find lodging in a fairly quiet area with reasonable access to sites, with less than a week minimum stay.

wliwl Jan 26th, 2009 01:45 PM

I too would heartily recommend Sanderling Inn.

Another option (although I HATE the idea that they built this hotel in this location because it is obnoxious) is the newish Hampton Inn in Corolla.

Other than those tow places, the advice of "between the bridges" is an excellent way of looking it at.

okoshi2002 Jan 27th, 2009 06:12 AM

Thank you both. You are giving me such helpful information.

The Sandling does look beautiful.

I found a modest site called JP's Cottages in south Nags Head near the fishing pier. Would this put us within striking distance for day trips to Hatterras and Ocracoke, as well as the eateries/sites further north ?

HKP Jan 27th, 2009 09:41 AM

Location is fine. You'll enjoy Ocracoke - be sure to see the British cemetary.

okoshi2002 Jan 28th, 2009 06:38 AM

Thanks for the re-affirmation regarding south Nags Head.

Does one need a 4-wheel drive to get to most places on the beach or can we walk the dunes ?

HKP Jan 28th, 2009 07:12 AM

You walk to the beach - in some cases it comes right up to the road. Please don't use 4W drive vehicle (unless you are visiting someone up toward VA border beyond end of paved roads). And some dunes are protected from any travel - foot or vehicle.

okoshi2002 Jan 28th, 2009 08:17 AM

That makes sense.

We don't like to see dirt bikes and big wheels on our beaches either.

Thanks.

mark99 Jan 29th, 2009 07:57 PM

My preference is Nags Head and south.

There are tons of hotels from Kitty Hawk on...of varying quality and style. When I was first familiarizing myself of the area, I would make a reservation and then scope out the area and cancel if I found another I liked better.

Just a note, in the summer and especially long weekends, the travel to the outer banks is HORRIBLE and backed up for miles upon miles upon miles.

Having been caught once in this, if I were to be going there on a long weekend I would guarantee my reservation, and drive late at night to the outer banks, or leave very very early in the day.

okoshi2002 Jan 29th, 2009 10:30 PM

Thanks.

Do you think early summer ie the second week of June will see big crowds in OBX ? Hoping it is early enough to not be peak season yet.

obxgirl Jan 30th, 2009 03:48 AM

The first two weeks in June isn't peak season but it's not offseason either. Let's just say you won't be alone!

Your location is fine though most prefer the northern or southern beaches which tend to be less congested and commercial. South Nags Head is a residential enclave of new and old places.

Your accommodations look fine, pretty modest. They will almost certainly have unit a/c.

As you're coming from Winston Salem, if you happen to be arriving on a Saturday you'll be spared the miserable traffic travelling from the north. It looks like you're headed in that direction when you leave so hopefully it will be on a non weekend day.

HKP Jan 30th, 2009 04:55 AM

Saturday is a check-in day for many rentals, and June is the upswing month for the season (schools are out in May and it doesn't get quite as sizzling hot as it will be in July and August).

I repeat: avoid Fri, Sat., Sun. if you can.

okoshi2002 Jan 30th, 2009 05:56 AM

Thanks for your advice. Sounds like you're serious about the traffic.

What areas do you mean when you say northern and southern beaches are the nicest ?

HKP Jan 30th, 2009 07:16 AM

obxgirl can answer for herself, but I interpreted what she meant as beaches north of the northern bridge (to Southern Shores) and south of the southern bridge (Manteo) - e.g, beaches from Duck north and from Rodanthe south. And I would agree, but they're less accessible - it's kind of circular - nicer because less accessible.

obxgirl Jan 30th, 2009 07:31 AM

I agree with HKP.

okoshi2002 Jan 30th, 2009 08:31 AM

Would Ocracoke be too "remote" for a 3 day 4 night stay ?