Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Out of town wedding and need a good hairstylist in Scranton, PA - HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 11:28 AM
JTA

I have to go to a wedding this weekend in Scranton, PA and will not have time to get my hair cut and highlighted before I leave. Can anyone recommend a GOOD salon in the Scranton, PA area??? Would the most expensive salon in town be the best? I know Scranton is not exactly New York or LA, so I'm worried about what my hair could end up looking like. I know I should have planned ahead, but I didn't so no lectures please!

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Dan

Have you been to Scranton? I wouldn't have it done there for anything. When you see the people there you'll know what I mean.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 12:24 PM
x

Unless you want you hair to look like your grandmother's did in 1952 I'd make other plans.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Me

I would NOT get highlights. A haircut is one thing....but I wouldn't trust getting highlights done there.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 12:55 PM
xxx

When is the wedding? There is no where in your home tome that can squeeze you in at the last minute before you leave?

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 01:14 PM
MPK

JTA: You poor thing. You are going to look like one of the bridesmaids in the "Deer Hunter", if you get your hair styled there. Honey, forget the highlights and bring along a jar of good gel.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Ben Derrski

JTA - Try calling:

Christopher West Salon
Phone: 570-343-3073
Address: 117 Wyoming Av Scranton 18503

and plead your case. Chris is a local favorite among the younger crowd with a large clientele, so it may take some begging and pleading to get an appointment, but probably worth it! If he can't squeeze you in, just go with a tasteful babushka. (And if you don't know what that is, you have NO business going to Scranton!)
Enjoy a pierogi or six for me!

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Earnest

Did you know that a columnist in the Washington Post recently wrote a piece on what city in the US should be entitled the "Armpit of America"? And that Scranton, PA, came in second? And the people in Scranton are pissed that it lost.

E

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 03:11 PM
natalieL

Christopher West - ask for Chris or Alyson.

if you can't get in there try "Looking Good All Over"

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Steve

I'll bet Utica, NY was rated first, as Armpit of America, haha. GOOD LUCK stay out of pictures!

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Dottie

Postpone your highlights until you get home. Buy a good clarifying shampoo to clean your hair of any product or minerial build up. Use an acid rinse. (lemon water for example) This will lighten and brighten the highlights you currently have and make your hair shine.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 05:27 AM
MPK

Earnest: O.K. - so what city WAS named armpit of America?
Dottie: Could you please give me the names for good clarifying shampoos?

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Earnest

MPK,

I don't recall which city won. I believe it was a small town in the Midwest. And I have heard since that they are milking the new title for all it's worth.

E

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 08:23 AM
njgirl

Maybe a great big hat like the Four Weddings and a Funeral would help?

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Dottie

Re: Clarifying Shampoos. I like Paul Mitchell products. There is also a product called "Ion" purchased in Beauty Suppy houses that is good to strip the hair of minerials and product build-up. ( Be sure to read the directions) Some beauty supplies houses permit the public to purchase from them. They just have to pay a little more than a Stylist.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Sinead O'Connor

Hello Lassie, why don't ye shave yer head like me?

By the way, sorry I ripped up that picture of the Pope a few years ago. I just wasn't myself that day.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 04:47 PM
DebiDooDoo

I wouldn't get anything done to my hair in Scranton PA, you'll see why when you get there.

Buy some upscale gel and a pretty clip and wear your hair up.
save the cut and highlights for when you get home.
Otherwise you may wind up on Judge judy suing because some Bozo ruined your hair.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 07:56 PM
me

Have to agree with the negative comments here, JTA. Spent a lot of time in the Scranton area growing up (grandparents lived there!). Styles in clothes and hair have not changed much since the 1950's. Seems like most of the hairdressers went to the Helen Keller School of Cosmetology.

By the way, Ben, just where does one find a "tasteful" babushka??? lol... How a good pierogi, that you CAN find!!!

JTA, hope you really enjoy the wedding...

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 07:59 PM
Ben Derrski

Well, me, tasteful babushkas just happen to be the special of the week at Boscov's - this week and every week - except for the week in July when they have the novena at the shrine of St. Ann. (Supply and demand, ya know - econmics, haina?)

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 08:31 PM
John G

Im dying over this thread. My family has a ski cottage near Elk Ski Resort in the Poconos. We always go into Scranton to go to the Wegman's Supermarket in Dickson City. Just remember to use the following "translations" and you will fit right in:

Salit=salad
couple two tree=a few
Hainna=isn't it?
We're goin' up the mall=We are going to the mall.
Genny=beer
Stoddle a bobba=grandmother in a babushka
How 'bout dem Dawgs?= area football team. Don't ask.
Chuchi=aunt
DeNaple's Junk Yard=Scenic Area

See yous later!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -