Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Out-of-state senior traveler wants to ride the BART

Oct 12th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

I'll be coming in to SFO on a Sunday early afternoon. I want to travel by BART to Oakland for a flight out. Much cheaper. I've navigated the Washington DC subway well enough, so I understand I'll need a magnetic ticket and retained value vs the turnstile eating the ticket. One website said senior-price tickets weren't sold in the stations, so how can I get my senior discount ticket from out-of-state? About how long on a Sunday afternoon would this trip from SFO to OAK take by BART and how long on a mid-day Monday?
Oct 12th, 2012, 11:00 AM

The time is the same whether on a Sunday afternoon or a Monday afternoon - the actual BART trip is about 45 minutes. However, there's also 1) getting to BART from your terminal at SFO, 2) waiting for the train (there will be fewer during non-rush hours than during rush hour), 3) the train trip, and 4) shuttle (bus) to Oakland airport (BART does not go all the way to the airport).

The BART tickets/ticket machines are the same as the ones in Washington, DC, so at least you'll understand them (they are very confusing).

Sorry, I don't know anything about senior fares.
Oct 12th, 2012, 11:12 AM

Here's the URL you want to check out:

http://www.bart.gov/tickets/sales/retailsales.aspx

where it states "To find a BART Ticket Vendor near you, please select a City, Zip Code, or both"
and
"You can also purchase discount tickets at these BART stations"
Oct 12th, 2012, 11:42 AM

I hope there's many, many hours between the two flights. I'm almost always delayed going to San Francisco.
Oct 12th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for these three fast replies... much appreciated.

Whoa! Wish I could say that I understood the ticket machines in DC . Usually, I just kinda do my best. And I'm probably going to have an overnight stay before flying out, so any delay will work out ok.

Paul's link was helpful except that I'm out of state and starting at SFO, so can't get to a local retail or bigger station. Since I first wrote, tho, I discovered that I can get $9 increment senior tickets by US Mail, so that's my best answer so far.

Now I need a bit more info about the shuttle from Oakland BART station to the Oakland Airport -- is it included in my BART fare or a shuttle bus that is paid separately?

Thanks to all!
Oct 12th, 2012, 12:51 PM

The shuttle is a separate charge.

"AirBART fare is payable in cash (exact change only) or a $3.00 BART ticket from a regular BART ticket machine (bus fare boxes will not return BART tickets with more than $3.00 in value).

AirBART schedule:

Monday - Saturday
5:00 am to 6:00 am every 20 minutes
6:00 am to 12:00 midnight every 10 minutes

Sunday
8:00 am to 12:00 midnight every 10 minutes

The AirBART shuttle trip takes approximately 15 minutes. It stops in front of the Coliseum/Oakland Airport BART Station on San Leandro Blvd. and in front of Terminal 1 and 2 (Southwest Airlines)."
Oct 12th, 2012, 01:34 PM

We had a lot of posting/commenta about the Oakland Colesium Bart station earlier. Suffice to say - it's not a place where I would hang around at night!
Oct 12th, 2012, 02:08 PM

<<>>

Me either, but it's fine during daylight hours.
Oct 12th, 2012, 02:27 PM

I don't think it is worth the hassle to save 6.25%
You have to buy a Clipper card in person.
http://www.ci.orinda.ca.us/index.asp?Type=B_PR&SEC={BCDE76A8-78B5-439C-A09B-CFC1CA05676F}&DE={446EA909-C45C-4BD7-9D98-19D4453421FD}
Oct 19th, 2012, 03:29 PM

Bart shuttle in Oakland is $1 for seniours, and you can pay cash - put in the box as you enter the bus.

tomfuller on Oct 12, 12 at 2:27pm
I don't think it is worth the hassle to save 6.25%

Savings on BART for seniours are more like 60%, where did you see 6%?

I don't know if it's possible to buy a discounted fare on-line, this is the website:
https://www.clippercard.com/ClipperWeb/index.doc
Oct 19th, 2012, 07:49 PM

Are you only using BART to OAK from SFO? If so, then you will be spending $9 to get a fare that is only $8.35 regular fare.
Oct 23rd, 2012, 04:32 PM

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing as mztery did.

I'm a little confused about your plan. Are you saying that you plan to fly into SFO, but NOT stay in San Francisco and instead just get out of the airport at SFO, then go directly to OAK?

Keep in mind that IF you are heading to OAK on BART on a Sunday during football season, if the Raiders are in town, BART really piles up on game day AND you will be getting off BART at the exact same station (Coliseum)as the Raiders fans.

That can be a real pain in the neck. We experienced it first-hand this past Sunday on our way to OAK on BART/Air Bart from downtown Berkeley at Noon. The line gets really packed with people changing over from the lines from San Francisco, Walnut Creek and everywhere else in the bay area, so BE PREPARED. And remember that you WILL have to change trains and will be going up and down stairs or escalators (the elevators are often out of service).

The process is pretty simple however.

And once you get off at Coliseum, go down the escalator (located on the platform near the BACK of the train), then go out to the right and you will will the Orange colored Air Bart. Get on with your luggage; have your exact change and put it in the machine; then push on back, putting your luggage in the luggage rack about 1/2 back and sit.

The trip takes, according to the auto-message you hear on board, approximately 12 minutes to the airport. The bus stops midway between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. Terminal 2 is the Southwest terminal. All others are terminal 1.
Oct 31st, 2012, 06:47 PM

Hello ... If we are coming to Oakland airport from S.F. on a sunday when the Raider game is on,
how much time should we allow to get to the airport from S.F. on Bart ? We have a 1:00 P.M. flight.

Thanks
Nov 3rd, 2012, 07:00 AM

The BART fares changed on July 1. The current fare between SFO and Coliseum stations is $8.95.

You'll have to change trains from SFO to Coliseum. Change to the Dublin/Pleasanton train at any stop between the Daly City and the Embarcadero stations. Balboa Park is better because most of the platform is under the station and the train will have more open seats. When you change trains in Daly City through Embarcadero, you just stay on the same platform; no stairs are involved in this transfer.

BART's schedule on Sundays is every 20 minutes. The time between the Pittsburg/Bay Point (SFO) train and the next Dublin/Pleasanton train is 7 minutes. IF BART stays on schedule, your total travel time between the BART stations is about 40 minutes. You'll run into congestion leaving the Coliseum station. Follow Surfergirl's directions to AirBart.

The Oakland Raiders home schedule is:
11/4 1:05pm
11/18 1:05pm
12/2 1:25pm
12/6 (Thursday) 5:30pm
12/16 1:25pm

Note: The BART ticket machine accept cash, and debit and credit cards. It will make change up to $4.95, but there will be another machine that makes change for $10 and $20 bills. If you put in a $10 bill in the ticket vending machine, use the subtract button to bring the ticket value down to $8.95.
Nov 3rd, 2012, 07:47 AM

Correction--SFO to Coliseum is a 60-minute trip (not 40 minutes).