Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Our Town Broadway Play New York City (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/our-town-broadway-play-new-york-city-277998/)

dana Dec 6th, 2002 09:52 AM

Our Town Broadway Play New York City

Has anyone seen the new production of<BR>Our Town with Paul Newman at the Booth Theater in New York City?

xxxx Dec 6th, 2002 09:58 AM

Yawn!!!

lovethem Dec 6th, 2002 09:59 AM

No, but going in January

Stacy Dec 6th, 2002 10:10 AM

Well, the New York Times didn't like it much; and a theatre friend of mine called it too sentimental. Sounds like they missed Thornton Wilder's point.

Ellen Dec 6th, 2002 10:37 AM

I saw it when it was up in Westbury CT at Newman's Theater. The only reason to go is to see Paul on stage. Otherwise, Our Town is Our Town. A sleeping vehicle.

Theatre Nut Dec 6th, 2002 10:46 AM

Oh Ellen, you have obviously never seen a production of Our Town done exactly as Wilder requested it be done. It is a magnificent, timeless piece--when properly done!!! Otherwise, it is, as you said, a boring sleepy vehicle.

Patrick Dec 6th, 2002 10:52 AM

I agree that Our Town is one of the great plays of the world. But the article I read in the NY Times on Sunday, really about Paul Newman, also mentioned the detailed &quot;intrepretative set&quot; of an empty theatre -- artificially painted fixtures and tons of sandbags. Why? I realize that is a minor point, but certainly doesn't sound like Thornton Wilder's intention.<BR><BR>I'm sure that mainly people will go just to see Paul Newman, but hopefully they will come away touched by this simple, but very moving play.<BR><BR>Of course there are no chorus lines, flying helicopters, falling chandeliers, or other exciting gimmicks here, but if you like pure theatre it can be magical.

Ellen Dec 6th, 2002 10:59 AM

Dunno. I have seen the play 3 times, with 3 different interpretations. Never liked it. Never will. Sorry. I am usually more forgiving, but I will never see another production of this play as long as I live. My husband has a set for a production at another theater in May. I hope he gives them away.

Ellen Dec 6th, 2002 11:02 AM

Sorry. Meant to say my husband has another set 'of tickets'. By the way, I do like theater that is interpretive. This story just doesn't interest me in the slightest. And lord knows, I've tried. I even worked on the set of Our Town in my High School production.

Howard Dec 6th, 2002 01:35 PM

We got tickets to see the show on Sunday for just one reason: a rare opportunity to see one of the great actors of our lifetime making his first NY stage appearance in at least 30 years, probably more. And based on the New York Times review, Paul Newman will not disappoint!<BR>Stacy, calling Our Town too sentimental should not be considered a criticism of that play!

Dan Dec 6th, 2002 02:57 PM

Ellen, Patrick &amp; Howard: I value your opinion on NYC theater and I was very interested in your views on &quot;Our Town&quot; - thanks for posting. I probably should start a new thread for this, but I wanted to ask you if you have seen &quot;Dance of the Vampires&quot; I realize that it doesn't officially open for a more few days, but I was interested in your &quot;take&quot; on the production. Thanks in advance!

Howard Dec 6th, 2002 03:49 PM

Sorry, Dan, but I can't be of too much help on Dance of the Vampires. The second-hand reports I hear seem to be that the show is good, not great. Also, fans of Michael Crawford will be satisfied.

Woody Dec 7th, 2002 06:24 AM

I saw Our Town earlier this week, largely to see Paul Newman's return to Broadway after some 40 years. His performance alone is reason enough to see it. This Thornton Wilder play takes place in Grover's Corners, New Hampshire in the early 1900's, and was originally produced in 1938. It uses minimalist staging, which -- if you read the play -- Thornton Wilder intended so that each viewer will see much of his or her own routine daily life and local community in the story. Jane Curtin also stars.

Emily Dec 7th, 2002 07:04 AM

To see such fine actors perform on Broadway would be a wonderful treat - any idea how long the play will run with THIS cast?

Patrick Dec 7th, 2002 06:25 PM

It is a limited run show and closes January 26.

Emily Dec 7th, 2002 06:55 PM

Thanks for the info Patrick - looks like I will miss this one as I won't be back in NYC until February. Oh well , , , I'll check into some other shows. Thanks!

Bryan Dec 7th, 2002 07:59 PM

Last week I saw 2 shows while in NYC. I enjoyed Our Town, for the sake of Paul Newman...not really much more,. I'm in the 50 age range so have fond memories of Paul Newman for sure and this is why I chose this play. It was good in it's own rite, but perhaps difficult to recommend . It was a bit on the slow side, although Newman was good. I also saw Man of La Mancha (again because I'm a fan of Brian Stokes Mitchell). To me, this was FAR superior and much easier to highly recommend than Our Town. Given the choice between the two, there is no choice.

Sarah Dec 8th, 2002 06:23 AM

I saw it Friday night I was just going to make a post to tell people to try to see it when I saw this thread. I got my single ticket Friday afternoon by calling telecharge, someone cancelled . This is a very inspiring production, certainly a story that stays with you for days. So surprised to see people here saying that it is only worth it if you are watching Newman. Perhaps the people that made these comments don't really enjoy plays? That is my message to people reading the thread making judgments on those statements.<BR><BR>I could care less that Paul Newman was in it. This is a great play. I am not in the theatre but I have read this play and watched it a number of times on film since I was a child. Perhaps the best production I have seen in NYC. I don't care for musicals though so that will separate me somewhat from the typical Broadway crowd. Our Town in my view is the type of theatre that is missing in NYC. The type of theatre you do find plenty of in London.<BR><BR>The most compelling performances come from Maggie Lacey as Emily Webb and Jane Atkinson as Mrs. Gibb. Jane Curtin was ok but I was surprised not to hear a thicker New England accent from her. In the first act everyone else sounded like they were from N.H and she seemed like she was from Wisconsin. Most other cast members including Newman were sensitive enough to attempt a country N.E accent. When you looked at the bios though you could also see that they did more theatre and less television than Curtin so I suspect this was part of it.<BR><BR>I can't understand how anyone would be less than moved by this play. Had to say this again. It is about life and appreciating the moment. Touches you by using the themes of love, Family and coming of age. But saying that gives a simpler picture than I intend it is also about loss and dissappointment. In short the things that make life life. The entire orchestra area seating was crying at different points, you could hear it and see this. Paul Newman was as good as any of his cast members. His role is kind of flat though so there was not a lot of opportunity to show a range. <BR><BR>The characters I mention though are full of personality. A very touching play. I highly recommend seeing this.<BR>

Sarah Dec 8th, 2002 06:31 AM

PS sounds like this is a good reason to avoid NY Times reviewer.<BR><BR>At our performance people cheered and yelled and then stood up. I don't think that happens when people decide they will never see a play again. It also happened before Newman came out.

Patrick Dec 8th, 2002 07:44 AM

I may be old fashioned, but I can remember the days when people went to Broadway to actually see plays. So many people today actually say, &quot;I went to see Paul Newman (or Brian Stokes Mitchell, or Bernadette Peters or whomever) on Broadway!&quot;, not &quot;I saw Our Town or Man of LaMancha&quot;.<BR><BR>I don't want to complain about it, because to be perfectly honest it is really the big names that sell the tickets today which enables live theatre to still survive.<BR><BR>Our Town is really kind of a good example, because to be really good in it, Paul Newman is required to do almost nothing. The stage manager is a great role mainly because he is so characterless and is supposed to register no real emotion. So it seems almost funny that people would go mainly to see Paul Newman act. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he's great in the role, but I'm sure the vast majority love him because he IS Paul Newman, not because of anything in particular he does with this role. But the important thing is that people are going and in doing so they happen to see one of the great plays of our time.