our family trip to Disneyworld

Mar 25th, 2003, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

our family trip to Disneyworld

Hi
Our family is visiting disneyworld the first week of Nov and we would appreciate any advice. 2 adults and 2 teenagers 13 and 17
we have never been to florida and will be there for 7 -10 days any tips will be appreciated.
thanks
The Whitlows
Mar 26th, 2003, 04:18 AM

You can get tons of info on www.wdwig.com. I would also recommend purchasing Birnbaum's Guide to Walt Disney World. I've been to WDW the first week of November and the weather at that time is sublime.
Mar 26th, 2003, 04:56 AM

The teens may also enjoy Universal Studios.
Mar 26th, 2003, 05:26 AM

You have chosen a great time to go; the crowds will not be at peak, yet it should be warm enough for water fun.
Be sure to buy a Park-Hopper pass for the best value; they are slightly discounted at AAA if you are a member. These allow you a certain number of days at the whole park complex - but unlimited entry to any of the parks during that day, so you can go back and forth between the parks. (For example, you could go to MGM in the early morning to get on the Tower of Terror and Rockin Roller Coaster, go to the Animal Kingdom zoos during the afternoon, and end up at Epcot for dinner. That counts as a one-day ticket, not three parks.) Remember the lines are the shortest at opening times, dinner time, and just before closing. Use the Fast Pass ride reservation system when lines start getting long.
If there is any restaurant (at Epcot or at one of the nice hotels) that you definitely want to eat at, make your reservation a couple weeks ahead of time. There are many fun dinner shows in Orlando. The one I would recommend is Murder Watch Mystery Theatre at the Grosvenor Hotel on Saturday nights. It's a musical comedy mystery that has audience interaction, and includes a great buffet dinner.
Bring sunscreen and two pairs of very comfortable walking shoes/sneakers. It's also convenient for each person to have their own filtering water bottle that can periodically be filled with ice.
Let us know when you have more specific questions. Have a great trip!

Mar 26th, 2003, 06:58 AM

I highly recommend reading "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" before you go. I've used different (yearly) versions of this book for 3 different trips to WDW and it's a big help. You're given lots of hints and tips about visiting the parks, hotels (both on-property and off-property), and restaurants. The book also gives ideas of how to best see each park so that you can use your time wisely. Since you're goign in Nov. you will probably not have a big problem with crowds, but books tips will still be helpful. This book, to me, is much better than the "official" Disney book b/c that book only tells you about things directly on the WDW property. The unofficial guide will give you great ways to save money and still have a great time. It also provides some information on other Orlando area attractions, such as Sea World and Universal Studios.

You should also visit the websites www.mousesavers.com and www.mouseplanet.com. These give excellent information on WDW and mousesavers always has the lastest information on discounts going on at both on-property and off-property hotels. Mousesavers also gives up to date info on any possible ticket discounts in the area.

WDW is a lot of fun, but it's also a big place. So you're wise to get all the information you can before you.
Mar 26th, 2003, 07:03 AM

this is a great website for Disney travel plans-www.mousesavers.com. great tips, ideas, etc.
Mar 26th, 2003, 07:25 AM

If you have a car take a ride up to the Kennedy Space Center (only about an hour). Our son thoroughly enjoyed both visits at age 13 and 15. Favorite restaurant at Epcot was the Teppanyaki Steakhouse at Japan. Enjoy!
Mar 26th, 2003, 10:29 AM

We were at WDW the first week of Nov this past year and it is a great time to go except it's the infamous NJ week (public school teachers there have a convention in Atlantic City most this week so school is closed those days and most of the state makes a bee line for Disney!). THat said, crowds were still low. We rented a house through www.vrbo.com and were thrilled to have our own pool/jacuzzi, be able to eat breakfast, dinner etc at home and we were only 5-10 minutes from all the parks. I think the most comprehensive website for Disney is www.disboards.com. They have numerous forums where people answer with knowledage and without sarcasm or obnoxiousness! Also, the suggestion to get "The Unoffical Guide..." is a great one. Hope this helps.
Mar 26th, 2003, 04:37 PM

I raised two kids in Orlando, and when they were teenagers, they and all their friends preferred Universal's Islands of Adventure to ANYTHING Disney offered. So I strongly suggest at least one day there!
Apr 19th, 2003, 06:02 PM

www.wdwig.com is a great site for info on Disney
Apr 20th, 2003, 04:38 AM

For up to date info on ALL things Disney go to www.disboards.com
I agree with the posters who are recommending a day at Universal's Islands of Adventure. Your teens will absolutely love it.
Apr 20th, 2003, 07:19 PM

I attended the University of Central Florida in Orlando so I have been around young people in this area. I have to agree with MFNYC and Postal, Islands of Adventure is more appropriate for teens. Although Disney is still a great experience, IOA caters to the older families. There are some great and fun restaurants in Orlando that shouldn't be missed for an entertaining night out. Cafe Tu Tu Tango on I Drive is a restaurant that combines art and dance with a Tapas menu. The food is okay but the uniqueness makes up for it. The dinner shows in town are also fun. I am not sure where you will be staying but all the hotels have restaurants so its a great excuse to go check some of them out. Gaylord Palms is quite an experience. There really is so much to do here, and the malls of course are awesome (ie. Mall at Millenia!) Good Luck with the planning
Apr 20th, 2003, 11:10 PM

I do agree with the others who stated that teens would probably enjoy Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure more.

I have been to all of the Orlando Disney parks. The only one I would recommend for teens would be MGM--and Universal Studios is better than MGM for teens.

Magic Kingdom (with the exception of a couple of "scary" rides) is really geared to younger kids. Animal Kingdom is OK for a wider range of kids due to the "It's a Bug's Life" show, but it really is the "thinnest" of the parks insofar as attractions are concerned.

Epcot has some attractions that would interest teens, but is really geared more to adults who want to eat in a fancy restaurant, etc.

If you really are set on doing the Disney thing, I would stay in the resort for your Disney time because getting in and out of the parks can be a pain (although not as many crowds the first week of Nov.). If you stay in the resort, you just take the resort transport.