Our BIG day in New York City

Old Oct 13th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our BIG day in New York City

Well my girlfriend and I have been dating for almost two years now. It will be two years on December 4th. We are still a young couple at the ripe age of 23 but have a great deal of love for each other. I am currently in Afghanistan (Only as a contractor) and she is at home in the states. I have R&R in December and we are planning a trip to New York for some time together while I’m home for the few days. We have talked about getting engaged and a wedding in the near future so she knows a proposal is coming so I really want for an amazing day as well as a surprise for her. They’re so many options for proposals in New York City so I have my hands full there.

A carriage ride in the park sounds awesome; a company will take hidden video and have a sax player for you at one of the stops which would be cool. Maybe the weather would be a factor for this type since it is December.

I have seen there is a sculpture of the word love somewhere in the city. This would be another awesome spot since my last name and soon to be hers is Love.

There are multiple locations for a rooftop proposal and this would be a great idea as well considering I’m a bit shy and if we could have a bit of privacy it would go much smoother.

I’ve bought her Tiffany’s jewelry before that she still wears to this day so even in front or inside the Tiffany’s store would be another optional.

Any other options or past proposals with reviews on how they went would be great. Along with this proposal I’m planning a trip to a couple’s spa for a bit of pampering as I know I will need this just as much as she will. The plan I have in my head is to arrive in the city get settled into the hotel, head over for some time at a spa (which hasn’t been chosen yet, still looking at reviews), head out for the proposal then dinner or dinner and the proposal all in one.

Any and all opinions are appreciated, lots of information I have gathered is either outdated of out of season. Thanks in advance
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 03:06 AM

I definitely wouldn't plan for an outdoor proposal in December. It might be 40 or it might be 20's and snowing. Also - those carriages are not very romantic - the poor horse is miserable and the blankets throws are usually smelly and/or musty.

If it were me I definitely would NOT want a public proposal (would hate it in fact). She might feel differently - but you would know better. I would find a place where you could do it relatively privately (some very upscale bar with a view where you could arrange in advance for a private table and some good champagne), then head out to dinner.
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 03:26 AM

There's a neat building in Central Park called Belvedere Castle. We climbed up to the top, and it had beautiful views. We were the only people up there when we went. Here's a pic if you want to check it out.

http://www.centralpark.com/pages/att...re-castle.html

You could always do the top of the Empire State Building as well. It's not as private, but everyone is kind of doing their own thing and enjoying the view.
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 04:41 AM

I suspect that if whatever you were using to propose with came from Tiffanys and if you notified them in advance in the middle of the Christmas shopping season, they would help you make a big deal out of it but honestly, I don't know. Relatively speaking, the LOVE statue is only a few blocks away.

For high places, I would do Top of the Rock or perhaps Robert above the Museum of Art and Design at Columbus Circle. It has a great view of the Park.
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 08:18 AM

In the middle of Christmas shopping seson Tiffany's will be mobbed - as will the street outside the store - unless you go after midnight or very earlyin the am.

I think it really depends on if you want this to be a public event or not. I know a lot of peole do that. I persoanlly would be mortified - but we all have diffeent POVs. (I have received 3 proposals - and finally agreed to one. All have been completely private. The last one was on the balcony of our suite overlooking the sea - and accompanied by a bottle of Crystal.)
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 08:35 AM

I like the idea of the Love statue as well as the carriage ride but since it seems to be a private moment ... how about first thing in the morning after breakfast in bed. You'll have the whole day and future ahead of you. Then get pictures in various places you like. Have pictures made into a nice keepsake album. If you aren't crafty/artistic, just find a good scrapbooking shop. Many will make the album for you.
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 11:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Well, you did ask for any and all opinions, so here goes!

This might not be your style, but you could go into a New York Deli or a pizza joint, something like that. Have a pastrami sandwich, a knish, an egg cream, or a slice of genuine New York pizza. Pop the question then when she least expects it. Indoors, semi-private, unique.

Another option would be by the Christmas Tree at Rockefeller Center.
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 12:03 PM

I think the Love statue idea is pretty cool given your last name. Could you somehow sneak flowers and champagne there to make it romantic?
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 12:48 PM

If it were me...(I'm a young married woman) I wouldn't just focus on it being about NY sites. It needs to be about the two of you, or at least about her. What are her interests/hobbies/passions? If she likes nature, do it in the park, if she likes the buzz of the city or musicals, do it in Times Square. If she's an academic, do it at the main library. If she LOVES food, take her to the best restaurant with the best view and do it there, etc. The love statue is sweet, but also a little hokey.

If you think she wants the spectacle, there are plenty of people that will help you make a spectacle (Naked Cowboy, for one). Otherwise, I would keep it private-ish.

Zero in first, then we can all help with more specific suggestions!

Good luck!!
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 01:30 PM

Spa: Spa at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel

Proposal site/dinner: River Cafe, Eleven Madison, Barbetta Restaurant

Proposal site w/o dinner: Rockefeller Xmas tree, Lincoln center fountain, Empire state building (they'd probably help arrange something for you), Ice rink at Rock. Ctr, Hayden Planetarium, on a city Cruise as you pass under the BK bridge, Plaza Hotel,Frick Museum,
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 03:57 PM

>>Pop the question then when she least expects it.

I vote for this!

Don't do the standard thing... I also vote against the carriages in Central Park - make it about "you" as a couple... and for that reason, the Love statue might be fun. Be creative!
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

I believe I would like to keep it a bit private and about the two of us. Are there any overlook places across from the city that the City at night time can be a back drop. Possibly on the water as well.

If not this it will happen at a nice dinner.

I do know we want to make a scrap book with lots of pictures from around the City and our engagement vacation.

Thanks everyone it is very much appreciated.
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 08:42 PM

Brooklyn Bridge
Staten Island Ferry

both weather dependent
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 01:53 AM

I haven't been to NYC yet (next May!!), but is there a venue where you could have a cocktail, preferably somewhere with fabulous views? nytraveler do you know if there is?

Here in Sydney some of our big hotels have cocktail bars on the higher floors with views of the harbour, and that's the sort of thing I was thinking of. YOu can propose semi privately at your little table/booth but have a really memorable occasion to remember.
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 06:02 AM

Asiate, the restaurant in the Mandarin Oriental Hotel, located on the 35th floor of the Time Warner Center on Columbus Circle, meets the "view" criterion. Their lounge is usually reserved mostly for hotel patrons, but the restaurant is open to anyone with a reservation. Considering the special occasion you're planning, they should be able to accommodate you with a window table overlooking Central Park.

As far as views of Manhattan from outside of Manhattan, one of he best from a restaurant is River Cafe, on the East River at the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge in Brooklyn. Try to go at twilight, when the city lights are coming on and the buildings are silhouetted by the setting sun behind them.
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 07:16 AM

>

We have had drinks many times in the "lounge" of the Mandarin Oriental Hotel, and have never been shunned for not being guests of the hotel.

If you would like a seat right next to the window you do need to call in a reservation. Wonderful views.
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 07:50 AM

Perhaps, then, only for the times of day we happened to have been there. Lunch and dinner, by the way, are excellent, view or not.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 09:58 AM

Great views as suggested at practically any of the restaurants in the Time Warner Center as well as the Museum of Arts & Design. River Cafe is famous for proposals. And there's always the esplanade in Weekhawken, NJ, with the city behind you...

Given that the weather could be lovely or terrible, you could maybe have two options for outdoors and inside!

As for the Love sculpture by Robert Indiana, I really like the idea but it's probably best for *after* she has the ring on her finger. It's on a busy, nondescript street corner in midtown, a few blocks south of Central Park (54th or 55th Street, I can't remember offhand). There are always people posing in front of it, so you could do so too with the huge grins on your faces I'm sure you'll have! Also, across the street is a fountain with Jim Dine's Venus statues in it - the goddess of love.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 04:05 PM

Brooklyn Heights Promenade has a a great view of the Manhattan skyline.

http://www.infobarrel.com/Media/Brooklyn_Heights
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 04:10 PM

Agree the Promanade is gorgeous - but if it's cold this will be windy and bitterly so.