boarder crossing tips?

Search

boarder crossing tips?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boarder crossing tips?

so finally my northwest trip is only 4 weeks away! and I wanted to ask for boarder crossing tips. I've read online to have passports ready and held by driver, windows down, no music, no sunglasses, and cell phones off. we won't be bringing any liquor or food, much less produce, pets, or firearms.

are there any other tips one may miss or forget? I've never driven through the boarders, so any tips would be greatly appreciated
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 12:38 PM

Border crossings...the agent will may wave you through after a passport check but may also check inside your car, trunk,place a mirror under your car, will probably ask you where you're going, and upon return, where you've been.
Just smile and be polite, similar to going through a TSA line.
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 12:42 PM

Although the Blaine Peace Arch crossing on I-5 is the prettiest, we leave the freeway at exit 255 and take State Route 539 up to the Lynden crossing. Much less hassle, and you approach Vancouver from the east on the Trans-Canada highway #1.

Enjoy your visit to BC...fabulous place!
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 01:38 PM

There is nothing to it unless you get into the occasional traffic snag or they randomly decide to really do serious search.
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 02:39 PM

One tip to avoid possible trouble -- just answer the questions you are asked, as you are asked them. Border security guards get suspicious when someone makes TOO much of an effort to appear innocent. If you're asked, "How long do you intend to stay?", just give an answer to THAT question -- don't add "Oh, and we don't have any drugs or guns."

And I hope I don't have to add this, but answer every question TRUTHFULLY. If you're asked, during your return, "Did you make any purchases?", just give a truthful answer. No guard is going to be impressed if you answer, "No, we didn't buy anything during the whole week we were in Canada."

One MINOR thing, which I'll mention even though I seriously doubt it will be a problem upon your return: cigars manufactured in Cuba are legal to purchase in Canada, but illegal to possess in the USA.

We have crossed the border many times, and have experienced everything from missing the guard station and driving a mile past the border before turning back (no problem, the guy just thanked us for coming back) to a five minute visual search of the back of our wagon (which was embarrassing only because there was so much junk there). By just answering every question truthfully, we've never had a problem.
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 04:03 PM

Be prepared for a long wait. Go to the toilet beforehand. Bring food and reading material.

A few weeks ago, returning to the US at a fairly remote crossing, it took us nearly an hour though there were only about 10 cars ahead of us. Each of us were treated to a through quizzing and our trunks were searched.

It was extremely annoying. We decided to not travel to Canada angain any time soon.

HTtY
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 04:24 PM

Make sure you have your car registration and insurance card handy in case they ask fo rit.
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 04:33 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
The border guard turned to my grandchildren in the back seat and asked them who I was..I guess he was wondering if we were bringing children out of the country illegally even though we had documentation for the kids.The border guards are doing thier jobs.
If you think Canadian border crossings take time, you should see the long lines at the US/Mexico crossings.
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 05:06 PM

PaulRabe - very sensible advice. HappyTrvlr - yes, another reminder that these individuals are trying to protect children.

I have found that the atmosphere is very different between US/Mexico and US/Canada crossings.

One thing - coming back from Canada via Peace Arch - the duty-free shop is worth a stop. Huge, good values, friendly folks. They'll get your license and register it so that the border guards have the information about your purchases (which you should declare). Good opportunity to get rid of any remaining Canadian money, and you can just as easily use US $$.