Orlandovic and others familiar with Orlando

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to book a hotel for a few nights when we take our son down to college in August. I can get great rates at Rosen Center, Rosen Plaza and Rosen Shingle Creek (a little more expensive than the other Rosen Hotels) and also Hyatt Place near the convention center. Any recomendations for one over another? Any problems with any of them? Thanking everyone in advance.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 01:53 PM

Rachel-
I'm not as fully informed about area hotels since I live here. However, if your son is attending college here, may I inquire about why you want a hotel in the I-Drive area (AKA Tourist Central) and not closer to the campus where he will be attending?
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 03:50 PM

A comment about Shingle Creek. A super large hotel with a golf course on property. The hotel is just about a year old. About a mile from the convention center. Accordingly, you want to know what's going on at the convention center while you are there. Some of the events fill everything for miles around and traffic is impossible.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

My son goes to UCF Rosen College of Hospitality, right next to Shingle Creek. Rosen hotels gives a substantial discount to students families when visiting so that's why we're trying to stay at one of the Rosen hotels in that vicinity.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 06:53 AM

Hi Rachel!

Good luck to your son! My oldest DS graduated from the same program in December '06. He is now using his degree to do contract work as he explores the country. Tell your DS to take advantage of every internship opportunity he can get his hands on; the contacts he makes will be invaluable, and many students start their careers with one of the companies in which they interned. Also, experience is considered just as (or more) important than education in the field, so having some on the resume at graduation helps a lot!

Are you driving to Orlando or flying? If your goal is to focus on orientation, setting up housing for son, etc., I'd probably go with Shingle Creek as it is so close to the campus (which is beautiful, by the way). If you just want to be handy in case he needs you, and plan to do some of the attractions also, I'd stay in one of the other hotels. Shingle Creek is a bit isolated right now, so it isn't as convenient to the I-Drive area.

Has your son arranged housing yet. There are some nice apartment and condo complexes close to the campus, but they run kind of high. Rent are lower if you go a few miles out, but there are some areas I'd avoid.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Rascat. Great to hear the success your son is having from this program. This is our son's second year there. He transfered there last year as a junior and has about a year or more to go. He was at the campus apts last year and is sticking with that. My DH and son will be driving down (its a long trip from Buffalo) and son #2 and I will fly down to meet them. Our son is currently doing an intership at a golf course for the summer. (Great plan-we pay tuition for the internshhip and he gets paid!!)
We're making this a mini vacation as it shouldnt take him too long to get his apartment set up. Maybe just a little shopping since its easier to buy some stuff there than schlep it so far-there's only so much room in the car, and only so many bags you can take on the plane now.
Which of the other Rosen hotels has the nicest pool and recreational facilities. I think that's what we're going to be into more than anything, althought I want to convince my family of sports nuts to take a drive to Winter Park. It sounds like a neat town.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 12:23 PM

I think I'd lean towards the Rosen Centre, unless there is a huge event going on at the Convention Center during your stay. Some of the bigger conventions (like PGA, and International Home Show) can really impact the traffic in that area.

My DH and sons would drive me nuts if I tried to take them browsing in Winter Park! I'd try to strike a compromise. Find some place you can drop them off so you can mosey around in peace. Maybe one of the other posters can help you with that, as I'm not up on local sports.

Head out to the IKEA store next to the Mall at Millenia for some good buys on dorm supplies. I just picked up a bar-height square table for $27.50 in their scratch & dent area. DS's picked up closet organizers and pillows for prices less than WalMart.

Oldest DS worked for all of the major theme parks, a Disney hotel, and the Peabody while he was a student. Of all the positions, his time at Disney and the Peabody get brought up the most during interviews. I think because they are the most recognized.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips rascats. I didnt know there was an IKEA in the area and I love that store. The nearest to my home is an hour away and in Canada. Next step is plane reservations and hotel. I'll try the Rosen Centre as you suggested. I did look into the Peabody but I can't pass up the rates at the Rosen hotels. Maybe when my kids are out of college and supporting me!!!