Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Orlando with 3 kids and 1 mom (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/orlando-with-3-kids-and-1-mom-111982/)

dee Mar 13th, 2001 10:10 AM

Orlando with 3 kids and 1 mom

I am traveling to Orlando for 4 days with the kids (ages, 4, 8 and 13) and am looking for suggestions. We would like to go to the Magic Kingdom, Orlando Science Museum and the largest McDonal's. Are the museum and McDonald's worth our time. Is there something else that should be on our "Must See" list. Thanks.

cinna mon Mar 13th, 2001 12:10 PM

3 kids solo?! you nuts?! i tend to like burger king better.

jen Mar 13th, 2001 12:53 PM

ignore the last message. enjoy yourself. i've traveled alone with my kids and had a wonderful time. and we have memories together we will never forget. sea world was great. your 13 y.o may like epcot the younger ones too but esp. for a 13 y.o. don't know about the museums or mcdonalds. i've found renting a house or a condo to be cheaper if you have your own car. you can make quick meals yourself then and save some money, not to mention its nice to be off disney property, it gives you time to relax between attractions esp. for younger kids that may need cooling down time. get the kissimmee and orlando vacation guides. free by calling the visitor center and ask for the magic card. It has discounts on certain attractions. relax and enjoy your time together every thing will work out fine.

Amy Mar 13th, 2001 12:56 PM

There is much more to WDW than just the Magic Kingdom and my kids enjoy it all. If it were me, I would set aside 1 day each for Magic Kingdon and Epcot. Then I would visit either MGM or Univeral Studios (I prefer Univerasal) for another day. the Animal Kingdom is also a must but doesn't take quite an entire day. I would forget the Orlando Science Museum and get a good WDW guide. there is much more than 4 days worth of things to do and somehting for all ages too. Try the character meals, you and your kids will love it. i do feel for you traveling alone with 3 young ones, hope you have lots of energy!

Amy Mar 13th, 2001 01:02 PM

One other thing, I disagree with the previous poster about staying off property. Don't stay at a deluxe resort but a budget Disney property like All-Stars is recommended. Staying on property allows you to come and go as you please. If morning is crazy you can pop back to motel, little one can take a nap, older ones can enjoy pool for an hour or so and then go back to amusement park with no charge to come and go. Sometimes a a full day is grueling and torture for young ones (even mom) Also you have benefit of monorail transportation, no paying for parking at WDW and searching for spot each day. I think this option is betterIMHO

Sal Mar 13th, 2001 03:50 PM

I frequently take my three children over to Orlando on my own. I don't know what you're budget is, but when I do these trips without my husband, I stay on the property in one of Disney's "deluxe" hotels. They are more service oriented. I especially like the Boardwalk Villas. The Yacht and Beach Club is also nice (great pool). I think staying on the property is much easier if you're spending at least half your time at Disney. The Science Museum is definitely worth a visit. It underwent a major renovation a few years ago and kids (all ages)love it. It has a couple of theaters (including an IMAX), a planetarium and excellent exhibits. It's a nice change of pace from the theme parks. My kids HAD to go the McDonald's. I didn't like it at all, but it doesn't take up much time. Disney Quest would be a lot of fun for your older two. I'm sure there is plenty to do for your four-year-old but I can't give yo any specifics since my youngest is 8. Cirque de Soleil is great for all ages. Discovery Cove is wonderful also. You'll need to pick and choose carefully with only four days. Have fun!