Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Orlando Vacation (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/orlando-vacation-342370/)

cwandrey Jul 29th, 2003 10:51 AM

Orlando Vacation

I have three boys age 2,4,5. Is Disney World and Epcot to much for this age? What are the great sites in Orlando?

GoTravel Jul 29th, 2003 10:58 AM

It really depends upon your children. While I've seen parents dragging their crying kids commando through Disney determined to have them enjoy the experience (some children are afraid of the characters), I've seen kids the same age just love the experience.

How do you feel about your children? Do you think some of the characters may be too much? If you think they would enjoy it, there is nothing as sweet as seeing a child loving Disney.

I would think about skipping Epcot as it is geared more for older children and adults. How about Animal Kingdom?

sludick Jul 29th, 2003 11:30 AM

Agree about Epcot at those ages. Magic Kingdom (not all of it, though) would be good. BUT...try not to pack in too much in a day, plan to get them away from the park for an afternoon nap, use sunscreen on 'em, and bring water and little snacks. They'll enjoy it more if you don't try to do it all, at that age. Have fun!
(signed) Live Here But Still Enjoy the Parks

Merilee_Tucker Jul 29th, 2003 11:54 AM

Sludick is right about not trying to see and do everything because you will all be exhausted and cranky. Afternoon breaks for a change of pace and or a nap are also important. I feel that 2, 4, and 5 aren't the perfect ages for a first trip to Disneyworld for many reasons, but of course then again I don't know your children. My 2 children are grown up now but we used to go to Disney twice a year because we had a condo in the area that we used for vacations. I heard that the Tiki Bird attraction is open again. I'm sure it's still a cute show and it's a great place to sit and escape the heat if you are there during the summer months. Mickey's Toontown will probably appeal to your kids because some of the attractions are built to their level, and they can visit Mickey's house and Minnie's house while there. Fantasyland is also geared toward children and most of them don't have a problem with It's a Small World or the carousel. I have seen kids scream on some of the other rides though. I think most of the attractions at MGM are too intense or loud for small children although Voyage of the Little Mermaid and Muppets in 3-D are fun. Epcot used to have arts and crafts tables set up at various spots to allow for kids and parents to take a break, but most people don't bring their kids to Disney to watch them cut, glue, and paste! Bring a camera to get every photo op because they probably won't remember much if at all especially the 2 year old. Definitely pack water, juice, and snacks to have on hand while you're walking through the parks. You will save lots of money this way. Try going to one of the character meals in one of the parks. Some of the theme restaurants are fun too.

sludick Jul 29th, 2003 04:19 PM

Great suggestions, Merilee. The Tiki Hut was always one of my favorites, when I needed a break. And if you stay close enough to leave for awhile in the afternoon, it's fun to go back when it is cooling off (you might also miss the afternoon thunderstorms) and see the fireworks at night (just get your hands stamped). The kids would be toooooo tired to stay all day. If you can miss an afternoon parade, that is when you can go on the busiest rides without the crowds, also.

micheleh Jul 29th, 2003 04:28 PM

My cousin and her husband just took their kids and her mother. They planned ahead of time to go back to the hotel in the afternoons and swim , relax etc... then they would go back at night. They took it all slow and had a great time.
They did research first and decided what they really didn't want to miss and made sure they hit those spots but didn't over do and made it a fun trip.

Dreamer2 Jul 29th, 2003 05:35 PM

The Tiki Birds are open again? Ya-hoo! Yes, that's a perfect chill-out spot. Short line, longer show, a/c, mellow break - perfect for the little ones. Country Bear Jamboree, too, and the Carousel of Progress do the same trick. I agree they'll like Mickey's Toon Town, Carousel, and Small World. I'd also add the Train that circles around the park, Buzz Lightyear's arcade ride, and Tom Sawyer's Island if it's not too hot. You can a PBJ picnic at Aunt Polly's out there for a pretty good "Disney" price! Stay out of very dark (Haunted House) or very loud (Pirates) rides. I'd skip Epcot with the little ones, but I think they'd like Animal Kingdom. Especially the dino-bones play park, Bug's World 3D show, and of course, all the zoo-like things. Also, take afternoon breaks. And carry water bottles and sunscreen always!

RitaK Jul 29th, 2003 05:42 PM

We brought our 2 kids, ages 4 and 1 to Disneyworld in early February (least crowded and least expensive time of year to go). We also brought my mother-in-law, which was very helpful. This trip was really for my 4-year old, who absolutely LOVED it! I was worried he'd be afraid of the characters but he wasn't at all - walked right up to them for pictures every time. We spent very little time in Epcot - not the greatest for small kids (but we did love the Buzz Lightyear ride!). Fantasyland in the Magic Kingdom was the biggest hit with my 4-year old. We stayed at the Boardwalk Inn at Disney in a 1 bedroom villa (which was basically a suite with a bedroom, living room with pull out sofa, full kitchen (important for us with small kids), washer and dryer. I will definitely stay there next time as well. I recommend taking it easy - don't try to cram everything in - you'll enjoy it much more that way. If you wear yourselves out everyone will be cranky and that's no fun! Good luck!