Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Orlando Trip - Family of 6 (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/orlando-trip-family-of-6-a-98897/)

Didi Jan 6th, 2001 07:43 PM

Orlando Trip - Family of 6

Planning a late April vacation to DisneyWorld. We have three teenagers and a four-year-old. Would like advice on where to stay. Currently interested in Holiday Inn Family Suites, Lake Buena Vista, and the Summerfield Suites at LBV. Would we fit in a kid's suite at the Holiday Inn? Any advice would be appreciated about these spots or any others. Thank you.

Nancy Jan 6th, 2001 10:24 PM

Days Inn,about 4 miles from the Disney gate has suites.It has 2 double beds, and a hide a bed sofa. The suite has a full kitchen. Pots and pans are avaiable at a samll additional cost. Laundry, pool, game room and restraunt are on site. I stayed there about 10 years ago, with 4 teenagers. We were pleased. Check out Days Inn 800 number, or thier web site, for price and availability. At that time It was a moderate price. They also had Disney tickets for sale, so it was unnecessary to stand in line to obtain them at Disney

Helpful Jan 7th, 2001 02:54 AM

Just did a quick check on Summerfield Suites at LBV, starting April 20 for 7 nights and got back a price estimate of $319 for a king bed, 2 doubles, kitchen, "free" continental breakfast, pool, etc. Maybe I did something wrong but that price seems extremely high even with the amenities of a pool, a canteen which sells sandwiches, etc. <BR>If that's the price range you are considering, I'd suggest you consider a vacation home rental. Prices range from $500 to $900 for the week. Yes, you'll have to rent a car but Orlando has some of the cheapest car rentals in the country. You rent an entire house (from 2 bedrooms to 7 bedrooms), fully equipped kitchen, washer & dryer, and many have private pools. Mom and Dad can have their very own private bedroom and you can choose how many other bedrooms you want. Naturally, linens are included; all you have to do is stock the kitchen with drinks and food. It's a very good alternative to hotels when you are seeking accommodations for 6 people. <BR>One such website is: <BR> <BR>http://www.vrbo.com <BR> <BR>Others may be found using your favorite Search Engine. Use a phrase or words such as: orlando vacation rentals.

annemarie Jan 7th, 2001 05:04 AM

Some of these properties may have entertainment rates so be sure to ask as this would cut the rate down 50%. The Vistana resort also often has a stay for 3, get a night free.

Daisy Jan 7th, 2001 11:01 AM

We were there two weeks ago. Don't ruin your trip by staying at Days Suites. The place was filthy and smelly. We had booked it through Hotel Reservation Network and had to call them to get another hotel. (I still had to pay for one night) We ended up staying at the Hyatt Orlando, which was very nice, and had shuttles to all the theme parks. Have Fun!

David Jan 7th, 2001 12:32 PM

If you're all planning on staying in one room, I'd recommend the Embassy Suites(free shuttle like most hotels but also has that extra room). However, I would encourage you to look into staying on WDW property. You get in early to a park each day and it's very convenient to shuttle back for R&R before heading back to the parks in the afternoon/evening. However, the rooms at most (if not all) the WDW properties are on the small side.

Ann Jan 8th, 2001 07:46 AM

I would agree with David. Look into options on WDW property (they have non-hotel options). With the age range of your family, staying on property would allow you to take the four year old back for a nap while leaving the teens on thier own at the park, as the bus system is excellent.

Mary Mar 13th, 2001 07:27 PM

Hi, <BR>I would highly recommend The Summerfield Suites especially with teenagers. We stayed there about 2 years ago. It had 2 bedrooms each with their own bathrooms, and each had a t.v. also pullout sofa with another t.v. in the livingroom area. A full kitchen with dishwasher, refrigerator. I know we didn't pay over $300.00. I think it was about $170.00 a night. I thought it was well worth it considering you get the breakfast also. Try calling them direct. Good Luck!