one restaurants not to miss nyc

Old Jan 25th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one restaurants not to miss nyc

Going to New york and would like some feed back on one restaurant not to miss in NYC. Price is not important. Are looking for one good restaurant to have a really good meal in.
We are staying at the Cassablanc hotel which is on 43 just off times square and would prefer one close by, We enjoy all kinds of food and really enjoy good bottles of wine.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 09:19 PM

When are you going to NYC??
Will
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 04:47 AM

There are many, many, many restaurants "not to miss" in New York. Thus, I suggest you refine your "price is not important" and "enjoy all kinds of food" comments so we can narrow the recommended list!
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

We are going to new york in april. Types of food we like seafood and Steak house.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

One other consideration do restaurants have any problem with sharing the main course. We are not big eaters and may wish to split entree.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 09:07 AM

OK - if you want to focus on seafood or steak house that lets out about 2/3 of restaurants.

For GREAT seafood the best in the city is Le Bernardine. The Prix Fixe dinner is $107 and the Chef's Tasting Menu with wine pairings is $320 per person. They also have other options (check menupaages.com).

If you want something excellent but a little more touristy go for the Sea Grille at Rock Center - which you can watch while you eat.

We're not big meat eaters - but when we do need steak for a client we usually go to BLT Streak.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 09:13 AM

Obviously if you go for any sort of tasting menu you can't split courses.

If you go a la carte you can ask - but there will definitely be a plate fee.'

Also - don;t understand looking for a really good place and then just ordering just one main course - really limiting what you're able to try. No one says you have to clean your plate - and if you're looking to try great food I would want to try a couple of different main courses.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 09:15 AM

For very good seafood at reasonable prices try Mermaid Inn.

I am in the minority but I do not think that Le Bernandin is the temple for seafood. We have eaten there twice and don't get it.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 09:56 AM

AquaGrill at Spring and 6th has very good seafood and a raw bar. I love their salmon and pan-seared scallops. This restaurant is expensive.

www.aquagrill.com

My favourite restaurant in Manhattan is Chanterelle, but it is NOT a seafood or steak kind of place.

Thingorjus
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 12:33 PM
mdn

If you like simply whole grilled fish, try Milos, a Greek seafood restaurant. Another reason I like Milos is because you'll get more variety than your run of the mill tuna, salmon, mahi mahi, shrimp, crab cakes & scallops.
Esca is a wonderful Italian seafood place (part of Mario Batali's holdings) which offers a wide variety of seafood along with a wonderful selection of wines.
I'll second Bernardin and Mermaid Inn... Mermaid is a lot more casual and cheaper than any of the places mentioned so far, but is still very good.
For a New England feel & things like lobster roll, try Mary's Fish Camp but be prepared for a long wait.
Of course there are plenty of Japanese places and Chinese etc that also have excellent seafood, but that's a different style. Don't think you're looking for that.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 12:39 PM

Definitely Le Bernardine for seafood.
As for a steakhouse, asking about sharing main courses is the opposite sort of "attitude" one should have when going to a steakhouse! Any steakhouse worth its reputation does not serve mini-meals. Having offered that "warning," you can do no better than Peter Luger's for steak. But be forewarned, the portions are hearty!
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 03:06 PM

for meat.....Grey's Papaya, 72nd and Broadway

Old Jan 26th, 2008, 04:17 PM

for meat.....Grey's Papaya, 72nd and Broadway

I guess the Recession Special is back.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 04:24 PM

For Le Bernardin and Peter Lugars ....make your reservation well in advance. I think L.B is 30 days and Lugars is 60 days. Both are well worth it.
Aqua grill was another great suggestion.
Spring is a great time to be in the city.
Will
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Have checked out the menus and want to thank all for the suggestions.

Have a hard choice ahead, we are there for six nights so maybe will be able to give a few of them a go.

Lots to think about.

Old Jan 26th, 2008, 05:30 PM

Here's another vote for Le Bernadin. easily one of the best seafood restaurants anywhere.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 05:39 PM

Also note that Peter Luger takes only cash, or you have to enroll in the Peter Luger credit card.

I just had a very nice dinner at Gotham Bar and Grill. Not sure how other posters here feel about it, but we enjoyed it immensely all around.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 05:43 PM

Il Mulino!
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 06:18 PM

I'm often not too big on the really formal or really fancy restaurants these days, but Le Bernardin remains a favorite. I'm always amazed at how "comfortable" and non snobby it is. And I've never had a bite of food that wasnt' extraordinary there.

Finally did Peter Luger's on the way to JFK one day -- they held our luggage while we had a big late lunch before flying out to Spain in the evening. Glad I want. Was it good? Yes, very. Best steak ever? No. Best side dishes ever? No. Best steakhouse ever? No. It's really as much about the mystique as anything -- hard to get in, the supposed surly waiters (but ours was pleasant as could be -- kind of a disappointment, actually).

Love Gotham Bar and Grill. Always top notch.

Had the worst meal ever one Sunday night at Il Mulino. Virtually inedible soupy floury pasta. The waiter took it away uneaten and said, "oh, that even looks strange". A special "baby rack of lamb" that looked like a Fred Flintstone serving and the ribs were gigantic -- no baby lamb that. A veal chop stuffed with mushrooms and cheese that tasted like liver. I asked. They said the chef had added foie gras. I love foie gras, but it didn't work with the cheese at all! A tiramisu that could feed an army, but was fluffy and tasteless, not a hint of espresso, more like chocolate covered cool whip. We got the impression a couple of the chefs didn't show up that night. It was unforgiveable! People around us, mainly large businessmen groups were oohing and ahhing about the gigantic portions. There was nothing else to ooh and ahh about!

Old Jan 27th, 2008, 03:18 AM

NeoPatrick: I've had four meals at Luger. Three times, several years ago, the steak was the best I've had; the fourth time (last year), the drop-off in quality was significant. And for the first time, we had a friendly server. (I'm glad you were disappointed in that.) So I'm thinking things have changed there, which is unfortunate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -