Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   orlando to naples (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/orlando-to-naples-592942/)

cooperfamily Feb 21st, 2006 01:53 AM

orlando to naples

hi we are staying in naples for 2 days in april on the way to the keys after 2 hectic weeks in orlando. any one any ideas where we could stop about half way on the way to naples. my map shows venice is about half way ? would like to stop at a beach for picnic and maybe a quick swim.needs to be kid friendly as we have 2 sons aged 6 and 7 years who will be bored by then. many thanks

cooperfamily Feb 22nd, 2006 03:03 AM

oh deer no one has answered ?? may be i didnt explain myself enough we are looking for somewhere to stop just for a few hours to have a swim and lunch on the way to naples from orlando about half way down (venice)if possible any one any ideas ? thanks again

LilMsFoodie Feb 22nd, 2006 03:40 AM

Great beach at Siesta Key. The exit is marked on I-75. Lots of casual restaurants. The beach has amazingly clear water with white sugar sand. Be prepared for monumental traffic. MP

SiestaLinda Feb 22nd, 2006 04:34 AM

Sorry missed this post--yes Siesta Key Beach in Sarsota is about halfway. We are about hmmm 7 or 8 miles West of I-75. The public beach is very kid friendly--however what day of the week will you be traveling? If it is a week-end the traffic to the key and beach in April will be quite busy--

SiestaLinda Feb 22nd, 2006 04:35 AM

Sorry--Sarasota--guess it is too early to be typing

cooperfamily Feb 22nd, 2006 07:32 AM

do you mind me asking is it a safe area where you park at siesta key ? as we will have all our luggage with us we will obviously carry our passports etc with us thanks again

cooperfamily Feb 22nd, 2006 07:32 AM

and we are travelling on a tuesday

SiestaLinda Feb 22nd, 2006 08:35 AM

jeez hope it is safe--I do not even lock our front door and I am like half a mile away--well cannot guarantee safety--you know some teen age kids might get a bit weird but for the most part you should be ok--If you take exit 207 off of I-75 brings you thru the village of Siesta, there is a subway there where you can get sandwiches for a picnic, if you do not want to pack stuff--anyway Siesta is great and I think you will enjoy--especially on a Tuesday Do not know if you know it has been voted one of the top 10 beaches in the world like 15 years in a row

cooperfamily Feb 22nd, 2006 12:50 PM

Thanks so much for that information . No I did not realise that area had won that award thats great.It sounds lovely we are all getting really excited now as its out first trip to Florida and we wanted to see some of the real Florida rather than just Orlando.Hope Naples and the keys are as nice .Thanks again

Tandoori_Girl Feb 22nd, 2006 02:56 PM

cooperfamily, you should stop at wonderful Ft. Desoto Park in ST. Petersburg. It just got the VERY TOP honor of best beaches in the US, as it too frequently gets. This is going to be a very easy stop for you from the interstate, just exit "Gulf Beaches" and it's another 10 minutes, and there will not be any traffic to speak of. There is also an old Fort there that the kids can run all over in wild abandon. The only problem is that there are only snacks there so you will have to bring your own food. But they have showers and bathrooms, it is quite nice.

And perhaps they will get a little sun-whipped and sleep all the rest of the way.

Postal Feb 22nd, 2006 05:55 PM

Ft. DeSoto is great, but they'll be going out of their way to get there as it would be easier to take I-4 to I-75 than to go across to St. Pete and then the Skyway. Also, they won't be even halfway into their trip. Personally, I agree with the Siesta Key idea.

Tandoori_Girl Feb 22nd, 2006 07:34 PM

Oh. I did not know their itinerary.

joan Feb 23rd, 2006 11:04 AM

Just my opinion, but after two hectic weeks, I'd just want to get there. Drive straight to Naples and throw those kids in the water!

If you do stop at Siesta, do not be tempted to continue to Naples along US41. It is a nightmare of traffic and lights, best to go back to I75.

Have fun!

cooperfamily Feb 24th, 2006 08:49 AM

thamks for that advice about what road not go on after stopping. we would like to drive straight to naples but having 2 little boys i doubt if they would get that far wiithout a toilet stop !! nor will i though lol thanks again everyone for your help .

Carib_Ruby Feb 24th, 2006 01:05 PM

Honestly, I would drive straight to Naples. No need to get off of I-75 if you don't have to. The trip will take ~3 hours,depending on where in Naples you are going and when you are traveling. (get there the earlier the better)

Kings Lake Blvd Exit in Pt Charlotte is about 75 minutes north of Naples and has a fairly big area if you want to stop for a quick bite to eat or a bathroom break... you can get off and be right on I-75 in a minute

Feel free to email me if you have any questions

(I grew up in Naples and my family is still there :)

[email protected]

SiestaLinda Feb 24th, 2006 04:48 PM

Carib Ruby--I hate disagreeing with anyone on this board but if you can go from Orlando to Naples in 3 hours I would love to know how you do that? Are you taking the back roads?

Carib_Ruby Feb 24th, 2006 05:53 PM

Siesta Linda,

You are correct...when I typed ~3 hour I must have typed too fast....what I meant was 3 hours PLUS

It is probably closer to 4 hours if you take into consideration traffic , the time of day one travels, and if you make any stops ;)

I still stay make it a straight shot from orlando to Naples.... you will be thankful once you are at your final destination

Happy and Safe travels!!!

Thanks for the clarification

LilMsFoodie Feb 25th, 2006 03:43 AM

Orlando to Naples can take up to 6 hrs in high season. Roads are clogged. It took me 90 min to go from Fort Myers to Naples the past two weeks. Less if I get off 75 and take 41 which is under heavy construction. The beaches around Sarasota are worth the detour. Water is much nicer than Naples.

Carib_Ruby Feb 25th, 2006 04:58 AM

Wow! 6 hours?

There must have been an accident. I honestly have never had it take more than 3 1/2 hours, I live in North Naples.

I agree with you about the water :)

Tandoori_Girl Feb 25th, 2006 10:30 AM

LilMsFoodie is spot on about the horrible traffic this time of year. It should be cutting back by April but don't expect it to get back to normal until May. I had an absolutely horrendous time going from Tampa to Naples one year. Everything was flying along until I got about an hour north of Naples and I-75 began to crawl. No accidents -- just snowbirds all clogging the roads.