Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Orlando - Restaurnats Recommendations near International Dr. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/orlando-restaurnats-recommendations-near-international-dr-293329/)

Middie Feb 28th, 2003 02:34 PM

Orlando - Restaurnats Recommendations near International Dr.

Hello fellow travelers...I will be in Florida on business and am staying the weekend with my husband in Orlando. <BR><BR>Looking for restaurant recommendations, but NO CHAIN restaurants please. Local seafood houses or good ethnic (Italian, South American, etc).<BR><BR>Also how is the Rosen Plaza Hotel...got a rate for $75.00 so I can really splurge on food.<BR><BR>Thanks for any help.

Postal Feb 28th, 2003 04:38 PM

International Drive has tons of restaurants, and Orlando's so called &quot;Restaurant Row,&quot; Sand Lake Road just west of International Drive has about 20 more.<BR><BR>Actually, a locals' favorite IS a chain. There are about five Bahama Breeze restaurants in the Orlando area and everyone loves them. They are run by Darden Restaurants, the same people who do Olive Garden and Red Lobster, and they are truly excellent.<BR><BR>Other than that, I would check out those new Sand Lake Road restaurants like the Samba Room, Roy's of Hawaii, Seasons (another Darden restaurant), and several new fish places.<BR><BR>Rosen typically has good hotels but I don't know anything about that one personally.

LilMsFoodie Feb 28th, 2003 04:45 PM

International Drive has almost every restaurant chain in America, whether 2 or 3 or 5000 restaurants in the chain. The rents are so high, small individual restaurants can't foot the bill to have this location.<BR><BR>Two exceptions come to mind: Ming something, which is a very good Chinese restaurant and pretty to boot. The other is probably the best steak house in central Florida: Vitos.

BostonLucy Feb 28th, 2003 06:54 PM

One of my favorites on International is Cafe Tutu Tango. It's modeled after and artist's loft and actually has some great artwork for sale. Everything is served appetizer style so everyone orders two or three things and shares.

LilMsFoodie Mar 1st, 2003 02:55 AM

I like Tu Tu Tango, a tapas bar actually. Very funky decor. Another one is in Coconut Grove.

Dreamer2 Mar 1st, 2003 08:58 AM

Will you have a car? If so, why not head over to the City Walk at Universal. Lots of restaurants to choose from, and great atmosphere for strolling, as well. For that matter, Disney West Side has lots of options, too. Of those mentioned, I'd go with the Ming Garden or Tutu Tango.<BR><BR>

Derek Mar 1st, 2003 10:28 AM

It's confusing. There is the Rosen Plaza and the Rosen something else (Center?). both are close to each other and close to the convention center. Both are big, crowded hotels that are next to (or almost next to) the convention center.<BR><BR>As far as restaurants, the others have covered it. I didn't see any little cafes or restaurants. There were at least 2 places that had &quot;all you can eat&quot; lobster, but I didn't go there.

Middie Mar 4th, 2003 08:13 PM

Thanks everyone for your help...Great tips...I will try Vitos for steak..now my hotel deal fell through so I'm looking into another place, but still in the area. <BR><BR>Thanks Again<BR><BR> <BR><BR>