Orlando - Need help finding a rental car for 22yr old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me of a reliable rental car company that would rent to a 22 yr old without the extra fees either at Orlando airport or off site?
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 09:22 AM

I don't know any company that rents to under 25s without extra fees. Also, does the person have a clean driving record?

(Sometimes even reserved rentals are refused if there is a history of tickets or accidents.)
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 10:55 AM

You could see if there's a Rent-a-Wreck in Orlando. I know it sounds sketchy, but it's just a rental car company that rents older models, at lower prices, and with fewer restrictions. I have no personal experience with them in Orlando, though.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Aside from a ticket 2 weeks after he got his license (at 16) so far so good. I found Simply Wheelz that is affiliated with Hertz that only charges $15 a day, which is at least better than $25. Never thought about rent-a-wreck. I'll have to look into that.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 01:12 PM

What costs more for young drivers is the insurance - either added on or as part of the rental, just as it costs more on own insurance.

Just make sure that either the 22 year old's own insurance or the rental car has adequate liability and collision insurance - or decide to self-insure. Also, advise him/her to check out car before leaving rental car facility and to make sure any pre-existing damage, even a little ding, is recorded in writing on the rental agreement. Again, just so their are no unpleasant surprises later.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 03:55 PM

I would be very careful using rent-a -wreck - since many of them are. A friend of mine did this for about a week (she had totaled her car and the new one had to be shipped to the dealer - and her insurance oly payed $25 a day for car rental).

In one week she had 3 cars, the first 2 of which died on her - one in traffic, one in a parking lot. And one had a flat tire on day 2 as well.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Ooooh, that would not be fun. I think my son is a little nervous about this whole thing. He was going to drive after I found out all of this but his friend said he didn't want to go if they drove. So, not sure what they are going to do at this point. Thank you for all your help though.