Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Orlando Marriott World Center, Disney Coronado or Royal Pacific with a 4 year old?

Search

Orlando Marriott World Center, Disney Coronado or Royal Pacific with a 4 year old?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any tips/advice on a great resort to stay at for my husband, myself and our 4 year old daughter?

We like to stay at a nice tropical feel resort. We have already stayed @ the Omnio Resort at Championsgate and Hyatt Grand Cypress as well as the Gaylord Palms. We really loved them, but Gaylord was too "convention" like.

We are looking for a place with the following:
1) A Great pool, possibly with a slide but not necessary
2) Tropical settings so we feel like we are on vacation
3) A nice overall resort feel
4) Clean rooms (we don't necessarily need a HUGE room)

Thanks so much. I look forward to hearing from you experts.

Susan
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Also we are considering Disney Swan or Dolphin. Thanks
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:44 AM

Forget the Orlando Marriott World Center if you don't want a huge convention hotel. Even though the Disney Coronado gets a lot of convention business, you won't notice unless you hang out in the building with the meeting rooms. Are you going to the Disney parks? If so, stay onsite at the Coronado. The Swan and Dolphin have more of a generic, big hotel, convention atmosphere. If you are not going to the parks, I suggest the Royal Pacific.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 09:51 AM

The Royal Pacific is a great hotel with everything you're looking for. If you stay there you also get front of the line access to all Universal and Islands of Adventure attractions. It's not very close to Disney but it's a beautiful hotel. We've stayed there twice. For a real treat try Tchop Chop, Emeril's outstanding restaurant. Expensive but worth it.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 10:08 AM
GoTravel

I love the Royal Pacific! Great resort hotel and pool!

Old Jan 16th, 2008, 11:03 AM

My family has stayed at the Coronado Springs twice and would not hesitate to go back. BUT my kids were 9+ when we stayed there. The resort is fairly spreadout and a 4yo may get weary from all the walking to the pool etc. depending upon where your room is. I believe its the Casitas portion of the resort that is usually recommended for people with young kids as it is located equidistant between the pool and the food court. We love the pool and the southwestern feel of the resort. The grounds are beautiful and the rooms are equipped with a fridge which is handy. The pool is great with the water slide and there is a fantastic playground there too.We found the bus transportation to be very good.

Would you consider the Polynesian? - I know its more money than Coronado Springs but its so convenient with the monorail.

I've also stayed at the Gaylord Palms (at a convention) so I understand you not wanting to be there on vacation.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 11:04 AM

Meant to add that the resort has staff driving golf carts around to give you a complimentary ride to your room or wherever.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 12:32 PM

I'd pick the Royal Pacific over Coronado Springs any day. I hated Coronado Springs, it's very budget with nearly no food options and the pools are below average.

I see you've stayed at the Hyatt Grand Cypress before, I was just there are was blown away by the service and pool area.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 07:59 AM

I have a 7-year old son who has been going to Disney since he was 2. Royal Pacific looks like a nice hotel, but if the focus of your trip is Walt Disney World, I'd scratch it off the list.

The Marriott is a nice hotel, great pool, but it's huge and has a lot of convention business (we never let that bother us). You'd probably end up driving to the parks, as the shuttle service is limited (and last time I checked they charged for it).

The Coronado is our favorite of the Disney "moderate" resort. It is beautifully landscaped (ask for the Cabanas section if you want tropical) and has a very nice pool (with slide). But as a "moderate" Disney resort it has limited restaurant offerings (although the Pepper Market counter-service place has lots of choices of different types of food) and is an exterior-hallway entrance. Based on where you've stayed in the past you may find this lacking.

I'd go for the Swan and Dolphin. Comfortable rooms, the grotto pool is great (with slide), the location is wonderful, with boats to the Studios and Epcot (frequent, free buses to Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom), and the boat or easy walk to all of the restaurants at the Yacht/Beach Clubs and Boardwalk resorts (in addition to the numerous restaurant offerings at the Swan and Dolphin). All at prices which generally are significantly less than those nearby Disney resorts.

Both resorts have convention business, but you're in the middle of Disney World, so it shouldn't feel "too convention like." But you may prefer the Swan over the Dolphin, as the Swan is much smaller and generally has less of the convention atmosphere.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have stayed at the Dolphin and the Royal Pacific. You don't say if you are going to any parks. If goint to Disney, then stay at the Dolphin. If you are going to Universal, then stay at the Royal Pa;cific and get all day express access with your room key.
If you are not going to any parks, I would pick the Royal Pcific. It's beautiful, has a great pool for your daughter.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 02:54 PM

The best pool at Disney is at the Beach and the Yacht. Although these hotels are a short walk from the Dolphin, the Beach and Yacht pool are limited to guests of Beach and Yacht.

Respecting that Marriott World is a huge convention hotel, it does have a very nice pool.

If you are planning to spend much time at the Disney parks, Beach and Yacht is walking distance to EPCOT, Boardwalk, and a short boat ride to MGG.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:20 PM

I would go for the Disney Beach or Yacht Club. Right in the middle of the action at Boardwalk - walk to Epcot & MGM. Much nicer than the Swan or Dolphin (as they are geared towards conventions and are the only 2 hotels on Disney property that are not owned by Disney).
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:34 PM

I assume with a 4 year old your preference is Disney?

If so, stay at one of the Disney resorts. You appreciate the morning Extra Magic hours if you are going at busy time of year.

All four criteria you mentioned to me are best satisfied at Disney's Polynesian. Though the slide probably won't work with your 4 year old unless she is a good swimmer. Budget wise, it is at the top of the Disney price list, though probably not all that much higher than the Swan or Doplhin.

I would really suggest you look at one of the Disney properties. Coronado is fine. The Wilderness Lodge is also quite nice, though we are not fans of the boat transport from there. In terms of feeling like you are away, that is certainly true.

I might suggest with the 4 year old Universal will be a waste of money. My daughter is tall for 4 and she still isnt' tall enough for many of their attractions. At $67 a day for a kids ticket, it would seem to be a waste. For my money, SeaWorld is far better for a child that age.

One other Disney resort you might want to consider is the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Your daughter will love the animals walking around the property.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:54 PM

I stayed at the Coronado 4 years ago...for a convention. I can say it does not have any tropical feel whatsoever. It is a big sprawling resort. I agree with other posters that staying at a Disney resort is convenient if you are frequenting the parks, however, I do not think this Disney property will meet what you are looking for. Pool is slightly above average, not tropical, not "resort feeling". Although I will say the rooms were immaculate.