Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Orlando Hotels on a Budget & Holiday Advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/orlando-hotels-on-a-budget-and-holiday-advice-458287/)

mimo36 Jul 8th, 2004 02:27 PM

Orlando Hotels on a Budget & Holiday Advice

I'm planning a trip in December (the week between Christmas & New Year's Day)to Orlando, specifically for WDW & the Universal Parks.
I've been there a few times before but this is the 1st time for my boyfriend and I've never been during the holidays.
We are trying to keep to a budget of $70 a day for the hotel and I have a few questions.
1. Has anyone stayed at the Baymont Inn in Orlando and is it livable? I know it's not a Marriott but I'd like to know if it's decent.
2. What's the weather like in December? I've read it's all over the place but what's the safest bet when packing, light pants or jeans? Parka or Light Jacket?
3. On New Year's Eve, what's an approximate cost to get tickets for Pleasure Island or a Universal Studios place?
4. I saw tickets on Ebay for a 3 Day hopper to WDW. I thought a 4 day hopper was the minumum. Is someone trying to pull a fast-one or is that ligitimate?
5. How crowded are the parks? Is it worse than the summer time?

Thank you for all of your help. :)

schmerl Jul 8th, 2004 03:14 PM

The week between Christmas and New Years is one of the busiest times at the parks. If you want great advice, go to www.disboards.com

mimo36 Jul 9th, 2004 04:51 AM

Schmerl,
Thanks for the Link it has been very helpful.

kopp Jul 9th, 2004 04:57 AM

Hi mimo36, you're right about the weather. It can be really nice or very rainy. Just make sure you have either a poncho or waterproof jacket, and you should be okay. Pick up a couple cheap ponchos (about $1.00) at your local Wal-Mart before you go. It will save having to spend $5.00 for one in the parks.

The holidays will be extremely busy. We were there a couple years ago for New Year's, and Disney closed the park early (around mid-afternoon) because of over-crowding.

All kinds of ticketing packages are available for you. One we especially like is available at the Wal-Mart in Kissimmee. They have about the best bet in town. They have a ticket office right in the store, and their tickets are totally legitimate. You can call them to verify their prices, then buy them your first day there. They sell tickets for all attractions in the Orlando vicinity.

As far as a hotel, there are any number of inexpensive yet comfortable hotels in the Kissimmee area, only a few miles from Disney park entrances. Many of the hotels even have shuttles if you are not going to have a car. Of course, the All-Star resorts on Disney property will give you the best value for an on-site hotel. And the Universal hotels offer good value as well. Watch out, though, for ones adjacent to the freeway. They do get a bit noisy if you're on the freeway side.

There are a number of good planning websites which help with all areas of Orlando (Disney, Universal, etc.). Just do a search on this website for either disboards or allears or just plain Disney and Universal. You'll be amazed at the info you'll find.

Happy travels!

GoTravel Jul 9th, 2004 05:43 AM

I've gotten a one day hopper before when I made a quick trip to WDW to meet my husband and stepchildren so don't worry about minimums.

Pleasure Island will be obscenely expensive New Years Eve.

I would pick a cheapie hotel that has a shuttle to the parks. I hate to drive.

Orlando will not be parka weather but bring a light jacket and sweatshirt. The weather could be 80 degrees or 55 degrees.

Lee4 Jul 9th, 2004 01:59 PM

Check out www.mousesavers.com. There are always great deals to be found on hotels and other area attractions, plus lots of great information.