Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Orlando, Florida Attractions (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/orlando-florida-attractions-313809/)

JDMarie May 5th, 2003 11:36 AM

Orlando, Florida Attractions

My boyfriend and myself will be staying in Orlando for 4 nights in July, and are thinking about seeing the Sleuth's Mystery Dinner Show, Universal, CityWalk, IMAX, etc. I would love to hear anyone's opinions on these places and other places that you enjoyed in the past, maybe even restaurant suggestions...how is the Rain Forest Cafe? Has anyone stayed at the Sunshine Resort and have any info on that as well?

Thanks for anyone's help! :)

k_999_9 May 5th, 2003 12:19 PM

I'm not a real Orlando expert, but I can respond to one part of your post: The Rainforest Cafe.

The short story is that the food is OK, not great, and a lot of people like to take their kids there because of the decor -- jungle-type. Plus, about every 15 minutes or so they have a simulated rainstorm, with lightning and thunder, etc.

As I said, it's OK and can be a fun place to go for one meal. Just don't expect gourmet food.

rjw_lgb_ca May 5th, 2003 12:34 PM

A key question here is: Is the purpose of this trip romantic getaway, hit the theme parks, go to a "big city" or what? If it's primarily the first or third possibility, I would think twice; there are so many other places that give you that kind of experience (Miami Beach, for a start). Obviously if you're hitting the theme parks, you've hit the jackpot.

I imagine you realize that it will be VERY hot and sticky in Orlando at this time of year. Sunscreen and lots of water....

Rainforest Cafe is a chain of Animatronic-enhanced Denny's-level eateries. Absolutely not worth your time unless you have kids that are easily entertained by fake parrots, oversized butterflies, etc.

jon May 5th, 2003 12:40 PM

the wait for Rain Forest Cafe is unbelieveably long. I would recommend eating at one of the restaurants at CityWalk, like Emeril's or Margaritaville.

JDMarie May 5th, 2003 01:47 PM

We are from Louisiana so we are used to the heat. It's going to be a fun getaway romance included, but want to see and do a few things as well. Any good suggestions?

LilMsFoodie May 5th, 2003 02:10 PM

I don't know about Sleuth's Mystery dinner show but I would suggest doing Pleasure Island in Downtown Disney area. I think you would love the nightclubs with live entertainment and the ability to walk with your drink from one to the next with no more cover charge than the one to get in for the night. They usually have an upgrade so that you can do multiple nights for just a small additional charge. Mannequins is a disco with great professional dancers, we always go to the two comedy clubs and the jazz club and House of Blues. There are many others and bands perform in the street as well. I suggest dinner at Wolfgang Puck saving money by eating downstairs in the bar/cafe and people watching. Most of younger working Orlando comes here frequently by buying annual passes. I think you will love it.

Rain Forest cafe is for kids and the food stinks. I liked the Denny's analogy. LMF

clairelong May 5th, 2003 02:18 PM

Rain Forest Cafe is not anything to brag about. The decoration is great - the food is not!

rjw_lgb_ca May 5th, 2003 02:24 PM

To give you an idea of the real Rainforest Cafe ambience, there's one at South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa CA. It's in one of the lower-rent ends of the mall (near Sears or Robinsons-May-- can't recall), and all you hear is screaming brats and screaming parents-- you can't hardly hear the recorded squawks of the Animatronic animals. AND the food stinks. 'Nuff said.

Sleuth's Mystery Dinner Show looks cheesier than Grandma's Friday night fondue, but I've read that families just eat it up, so it could be worth a few laughs. Expect lots of kids.

LilMsFoodie, as I've seen elsewhere, gives very good advice, and I'd say she's right here too. Pleasure Island is a good bet for more "adult-oriented" entertainment (i.e., LESS KIDS)-- not so sure about CityWalk (the one out here in CA is no great thrill, but if you're at Universal, it's handy for a bite), but it could be worth a spin too. IMAXs are pretty much the same the world over, and I don't go on vacations to sit in a movie theatre, but if you've never experienced it, hey, there are much worse ways to spend your money (did I tell you how bad Rainforest Cafe was?).

Postal May 5th, 2003 05:18 PM

I have never heard of Sunshine Resort but I live in Orlando so could give you information based on where it is, if you want to give me the address.

LaurenSKahn May 5th, 2003 05:22 PM

If you haven't been to the Cirque de Soleil, you should go. Cirque is located in Downtown Disney. Tickets are not cheap, but it is worth it. Amazing show!