Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Oregon trip help (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/oregon-trip-help-434762/)

postmastertom May 23rd, 2004 05:42 PM

Oregon trip help

My wife and I are flying to Portland for nine nights in Oregon the last part of June. We've never been to Oregon before. I'm interested in comments about our itinerary. 1st night at Inn At The Gorge in Hood River. 2nd night at Crater Lake Lodge. 3rd night at Jacksonville Inn. 4th and 5th nights at Lighthous B&B in Bandon. 6th and 7th nights at Tyee Lodge in Newport. Nights 8 and 9 at Grandview B&B in Astoria. Thanks.

bob_brown May 23rd, 2004 05:51 PM

You should leave time somewhere to visit the Rose Test Gardens in the park west of the city. Those are the most beautiful roses I have ever seen. And there are so many of them that I came away deeply impressed at all the knowhow and effort that goes into cultivating and maintaining such beautiful flowers. To visit Portland and not see the roses is to miss one of the most gorgeous gardens you will ever have the chance to see.

Oregon is full of beautiful sights, some natural, some man-made. This one, though man-made, is worth the time and effort to see it, even if you cut out something else on your agenda.

pdxtravel May 23rd, 2004 06:29 PM

Wow, that is an ambitious itinerary! From your list, I'm assuming you have no interest in visiting any of the cities (namely Portland)? Either way, It's a lot of driving and not much time in any one place. Personally, I would pick two or three key places in Northern Oregon and spend 3 days each...one Gorge, one on the N.Coast (Newport, Cannon Beach or Astoria) and maybe a few days in Portland. The coast is beautiful, but unless you are targeting something specific there are a lot of similarities. Crater Lake is also great, but it is a long drive to only stay a few days. For the Gorge I would recommend the Historic Columbia River Highway (includes Multnomah Falls)and Crown Point. This could be done at the beginning or end of the trip since it is close to the airport. Save Southern Oregon for another trip and fly into Medford (if you can).

Orcas May 23rd, 2004 08:19 PM

Hi postmastertom! You are so lucky! Driving from the Gorge to Crater Lake is quite a long trip, and you will be skipping some fascinating scenery in between if you do it in one day. I'd not spend two nights in Astoria, either. I'd choose Canon Beach, which is far more scenic.
Here's an alternative:
Day 1. Drive the scenic hwy to the Gorge, visiting various falls along the way.
Day 2. Drive to Mt. Hood (Timberline Lodge), then on to Bend. Visit the Native American museum on the way at the Warm Springs reservation. Stay overnight at the Riverhouse in Bend.
Day 3. Drive south, visiting Lava Butte and walk the lava tube. Drive to Crater Lake and stay the night.
Day 4 and 5. Take the boat trip on Crater Lake. then drive to the Coast. Stay in Yachats (or somewhere) two nights, visiting Cape Perpetua.
Day 6. Newport.
Day 7 and 8 Canon Beach. Drive 3 Capes loop. Visit Ecola State Pk.
Day 9 To Astoria- Visit the column and the mariner's museum. Then Portland for the night.
Day 10 Portland.
How does this sound, people?

jimshep May 24th, 2004 06:56 AM

Orcas has given you a much improved itinerary. In Yachats stay at the Overleaf Lodge and in Newport stay near Nye Beach (we stayed at Elizabeth Street Inn with ocean view).

The drive from Crater Lake to Bandon is long because of two-lane roads and, though Bandon is a lovely place, so are the more convenient towns to which Orcas is sending you.

kimamom May 24th, 2004 08:24 AM

Hi Postmastertom: Keep your two nights in Astoria, it's a beautiful place and VERY scenic. The Grandview is nice, but the Clementine has received rave reviews lately and Judith
Taylor who owns the place is an outstanding chef.

Be sure to visit the Maritime Museum, Fort Clatsop, the Astor Column and ride the riverfront trolley. www.oldoregon.com for more info. I could recommend some great places to dine in Astoria and some places to AVOID if you are interested.

We will be traveling to Astoria for a couple of weeks next month, then hope to spend a month in the Astoria/Seaside area.

Cannon Beach is only thirty minutes from Astoria, so you could go there one afternoon. Stop at Fort Stevens State Park on your way there and check out the cool wreck of the Peter Iredale on the beach there.

There is also the very new and trendy Hotel Elliott, www.hotelelliott.com which is another great place to stay in Astoria. If you like spas, the Columbia River Day Spa across the street is gorgeous and very first class. Have a great trip! ***kim***