OREGON: tandg's trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, another big thanks to all the great Oregon posters that really helped make this trip a success. Beachbum, mms, sunbum, john, nwwander, scarlett, just to name a few. It was truly a wonderful vacation.

ARRIVAL: We arrived in Portland around 10:00 pm on Hawaiian Air. We were pleasantly surprised to find out that they still provided a hot lunch (pasta) and free water, juice and soda, along with pillow and blanket. Smooth flight, no delays….really Hawaiian is one of the best airlines we’ve ever flown.

The minute we deplaned, we could can see why PDX won all those awards from business travelers. It’s very nice and most importantly, CONVENIENT. A very simple design makes it almost impossible to get lost. I also loved the fact that the rental cars are actually right there on site! No having to catch a shuttle!!! WONDERFUL!!

We picked up the car at Hertz and headed out to the Staybridge, located just a couple of miles from the airport. This entire area is filled with hotels and restaurants and is very convenient for an overnight stay or as a home base for exploring the area. I would not recommend it if you plan to spend a lot of time at your hotel. It really is an area to sleep at, not to vacation at. The hotel itself is very good. Everything looked new, and the room came with a fully equipped kitchen. There was a love seat in the sitting area along with two small tables. The AC was quiet and the shower had good water pressure. The only downside is that vanity area is outside the bathroom, so the one who gets up early will be getting the late sleeper up as well.

DAY 1: We headed out to Cannon Beach around 10 am. We took H26 and although it was billed as a rather pedestrian drive, we found it to be quite scenic. Farm land at first, than forest/mountain type scenery toward the end.

The CB downtown shopping area is quite small, just 2-3 blocks. However that made wandering about quite easy. We had lunch at Mo’s in CB (clams and scallops). Quite good. We also checked out Ecola and Oswald State parks. Both were great. BB, you were right about that hike down to the beach in Oswald. The forest was beautiful and the stream that runs through it also added a nice touch.

By the time we left the area for Yachats, it was already late in the afternoon, so we skipped the 3-Capes. The fog was also rolling in around then. In fact, by the time we got to Yachats, we couldn’t even see across the street!

We stayed at the Overleaf in Yachats and it’s a nice inn type hotel. Nothing fancy, but functional and very nice and cozy. We had an Innisbrook room with gas fireplace and a small lanai with 2 plastic chairs and a small table. The room is quite large with a mini kitchen. It does look a touch dated and an upgrade may be in order, but really, no complaints. We had dinner at the Landmark restaurant (might have had the best chowder of the trip there) and went to bed hoping for better weather the next morning.

DAY 2: Well, at first light, it looked like our hopes weren’t going to be realized. The fog was thicker, and we couldn’t even see the ocean (which was a stone’s throw away). Seeing as how I was scheduled to play two rounds of golf in Bandon the next couple of days….well….I was getting a bit concerned. At it turned out, my worries were ill-founded. Upon checking out that morning, the clerk informed me that for some reason, the section of coast line from Depoe Bay to Yachats had the worst fog, and she seemed pretty confident we wouldn’t have any problems. Well, she was right. We back tracked a little north to Newport, and weren’t more than a couple miles outside Yachats when the fog lifted and we were surrounded by gorgeous blue skys!

We headed first to the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport. Now, we’ve visited our share of aquariums, but this one, though small, had a charm all it’s own. The displays were well organized, and the animals were all very easy to see.

Lunch was at Local Oceans in the Newport marina area. We were actually going to just eat at the aquarium but overheard a conversation in the gift shop about this place. When we inquired with one of the workers, another visitor jumped in and said they’d eaten there several times and it was the best.

I guess this is also as good a place as any to complement all you Oregonians on your hospitality and friendliness. We’ve been to many places, but we were hard pressed to think of anywhere we’ve been where the people had been so friendly. Everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE seemed to go out of their way to greet or thank us, or to just engage in friendly conversation. Just wonderful.

The Newport marina area was also a nice place to browse about after lunch (crab sandwiches). From the docked boats to the charming local shops, the entire place had a nice warm feel to it. Oh, and boy, were there tons (literally) of sea lions!! It rivaled Monterey! As a side note, we did end up skipping the Sea Lions Caves (as some of you suggested we should). We figured we couldn’t get any more close up to the sea lions than here.

After that, it was on to Bandon. The drive was quite easy as all the roads (even though one lane each way), had passing lanes every few miles. So even if you were stuck behind a slow driver, you didn’t have to wait very long to pass them. Very convenient! As such, we made excellent time getting to all our destinations. Along the way from Newport to Bandon, we took in Cape Perpetua, Heceta Lighthouse, and the Oregon Dunes Park. There’s nothing for me to really add to what you can read on other travel sites. Suffice it to say they are all beautiful and worth a stop.

We got to the Bandon Dunes Golf Resort around 6:30 pm. The resort is actually a few miles outside of Bandon town. This gives it a very secluded feeling. The building are really well designed, in that most of them blend well into the forest and dunes landscape that make up the property. Besides the three beautiful courses (I played Bandon Dunes and Pacific Dunes), there are miles of hiking trails, along with a couple of eateries. It’s really catered to the golfer, but my wife also enjoyed it, especially the hiking trails. Our room was very nice; modern and new, with decent space. The bathroom though is quite small, and the vanity is also outside in the main room, so the early riser/late sleeper issue comes into play again. No fridge though (that would have been a nice touch). It also had two very comfortable leather chairs along with an equally plush ottoman.

We checked in then head straight into Bandon town for dinner. As expected in such a small town, most every place was already closed, but we did find a place called the Wheelhouse restaurant and ate there. I honestly can’t remember what we had, but it was seafood (what else).

DAY 3: Morning called for Golf and hiking for me and my wife. I’ll let you guess who did what!  Around noon, we headed down the coast for a day drive into Brookings. This part of the coast did live up to it’s billing as the most scenic area along the Oregon coast IMO. The rock formations out in the ocean were quite a sight. I must say though, that I was quite surprised at the amount of time H101 does NOT run along side the ocean. I don’t know for sure, but it seemed that half the time, we couldn’t see the ocean, as 101 either took us inland, or there were a grove of trees paralleling the highway on the ocean side. We actually didn’t mind, but I did find that a bit surprising.

Anyway, we had lunch at a little place in Port Orford called the Crazy Norwegian. It was the first time I DIDN’T have seafood (had the chili). Nice and filling. We got back to Bandon around 5 pm and had dinner at Bandon Boatworks restaurant. I had the fillet mignon topped with crab and béarnaise sauce. It was the best meal I had on the coast! We also took a stroll around Bandon town (the touristy section). This area (which is down by the beach and harbor) is quite small, but still very charming. The town’s main drag is actually located a bit above this area on H101.

DAY 4: The Safari Park outside of Bandon was our morning destination. Nothing fancy, but the great part was that the design of the displays really put you up close with the animals. I don’t recall any park or zoo that offered such close up views. They also allow deer, goats and a rather lazy donkey to mingle in the park with the guests. You do have to watch your step (literally), but it certainly added to the ambiance of the place.

Lunch was at the Bandon Fish Market (known for their fish and chips). It was good; nothing special. My wife had the deep fried clams. That was good! Best clam dish we had on the trip (and we had a lot)! Afternoon was golf for me and more hiking for my wife. Dinner was at a place called the (). It was your basic diner food. Nothing special.

DAY 5: Well, we finally had to leave the coast. It was just as beautiful as everyone said. The beaches were quite different from what we have in Hawaii, but just as beautiful in their own way, and certainly more dramatic. We cut across H42 and hit Roseburg, then onto H138 past the Umpqua river and on to Crater Lake. Well, as least that WAS the plan. But a large wildfire forced the closure of 138 and forced us to get back on I-5 and head south toward Medford. We ended up entering CL park from the south and along the Rogue River. I don’t know what we missed from the Umpqua river drive, but the route we took was beautiful. I guess you’d be hard pressed to find a drive through any Oregon park that wasn’t breathtaking. CL itself lived up to it’s billing. For us, it was similar to the first time we saw the Grand Canyon. You see all the pictures, but once you walk up to the rim and see it in person….well….it does take your breath away.

From there, we headed to Bend and arrived late in the afternoon. We stayed at the Ameritel Inn. If I had a piece of marketing advice to offer this hotel, it would be to CHANGE YOUR NAME!! Honestly, when I first booked the place, I just pictured it as your typical chain hotel (especially with that name). But it was a really nice, charming hotel. The lobby is high beamed and made to look like a ski lodge, complete with a large fireplace and an assorment of plush chairs and couches. The room itself is HUGE! In fact, if I had one “complaint,” it would be that they really could have taken better advantage of the size of the room. They have a very comfortable chair and ottoman, but with very little maneuvering of furniture, they could easily add a love seat and coffee table. That’s how much extra space there is in the room. And SURPRISE……the vanity area is IN THE BATHROOM!!! One person can actually sleep late while the other gets ready!! If you stay here, try to get a room that faces west. You’ll have a nice view of the Old Mill Shopping district below (Ameritel is built on a bluff overlooking the shopping area) along with Mt. Bachelor and the 3-Sisters mountain range off in the horizon.

DAY 6: We headed to Sisters and the Metolius river after taking in Ameritel’s continental breakfast. It was quite good with a decent selection of items. The hike along the Metolius is spectacular. You can walk as far as you like. The trial seemed endless, and each turn provided another wonderful view of the river. The water is also amazingly clear, with jaw dropping shades of blue, depending on the depth and force of the river’s current. You’ll take a lot of pictures of this place.

We had lunch at the Ski Inn in Sisters. I know the place is known for their breakfasts, but we were too late. We ordered their burgers instead. The meat was good, but they had relish in the mayo, and that sort of spoiled it for me. The town itself is very charming, filled with all types of boutiques, gift shops and the like.

After that, we headed to the High Desert Museum. It had some nice displays. The birds of prey section was particularly interesting.

It was already around 5 pm, but we decided to hit the Cascade Lakes Highway, and boy, were we glad we did. As the name implies, the primary attraction on this drive are the numerous lakes you encounter. They were beautiful enough on their own, but given the time of day (late afternoon), the colors seemed particularly brilliant and the sunset really painted a spectacular picture of the area.

Dinner that night was at the Pine Tavern Grill in Bend. Several of you recommended this place and you were RIGHT! Wonderful food. I had the meatloaf and my wife had the prawn tortellini. Their sourdough scones with honeybutter was also outstanding. Probably the best dinner we had on the entire trip!

Downtown Bend was also a nice area to walk around and window shop. Clean, safe and very attractive. In fact, I can see why so many folks are moving to Bend. It was really a nice charming town. Even driving through third street and the business district, it still maintained a nice small town feel. We really enjoyed the city.

DAY 7: We left Bend and headed to Mount Hood. But first, a quick stop at Smith Rock Park. It’s definitely worth a stop and walkout to at least the overlook. If we had more time, we probably would have done some of the hikes down in the gorge and next to the river.

The drive up to Mount Hood was also great. Some nice “high desert scenery” along the way, and then more majestic forest landscape. Wouldn’t you know it though, but fire once again altered our plans a bit. As we entered the town of Hood River, we noticed quite a bit of smoke and soon discovered a fire had forced the closure of some of the roads in the town. We still managed to look around the downtown section for a bit, but then decided to leave just in case the fire got worse and they closed all the roads leading out of town back to Portland.

On the way to Portland, we crossed over the “Bridge of the Gods,” checked out the Bonneville Dam, and hit several of the falls (of course, Multnomah was one of them). But probably our favorite spots were Vista House and the view from the Portland Women’s Forum overlook. Again, it was late afternoon by the time we reached these sites, and the sun had cast a beautiful warm shade of orange over the entire landscape. I’ll throw in an editorial comment here, but it’s beyond me how people can look at such beauty and still say there is no God….

Anyway, what a way to end our trip!!

We spent the last night of our trip back at Staybridge, and left early the next morning for the airport. Return of the rental was as easy as the pickup. Very efficient.

Once again, thanks to all of you who helped me plan this trip. You have a very beautiful state and should be proud of it. Take good care of it. We hope to visit it again….somewhere down the road.

-Travelinandgolfin
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 08:01 PM

You didn't explore Portland? You missed out on a beautiful and very charming city.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 06:07 AM

Thanks so much for letting us know how it went. Was the Hood River fire you mentioned just this past Friday? DH and DS were caught in that trying to get to eastern OR and said it was a mess to get around. So are you planning a return visit already?
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 08:34 AM

you covered a lot of territory
glad you had a nice time

Old Sep 17th, 2008, 09:15 AM

travelinandgolfin, I really enjoyed reading your trip report. Portland (and surrounding area) are on our "must-see" list.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

irish....

No Portland this time. We only had a week and had some tough choices to make. Bottom line, we are more outdoorsy people and much rather enjoy seeing the great outdoors than a big city.

Next time though, Portland will be given a closer look.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

mms....

That fire in Hood River was on Friday! Do you know what was burning? The only thing we missed in Hood River that we were looking to check out was the lunch at the Columbia River Hotel, which had a good write up in AAA. It looked like it was in the midst of the chaos, so we ate somewhere else. But on the way out of town, we noticed it was sitting well outside the fire area! Oh well, that lunch at Taco Bell was wonderful...

Return trip? Most definitely. Not sure exactly when, but my wife already mentioned a return trip one day. Thanks again for all the advice.

Old Sep 17th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

sunbum.....

The Metolius was just as good as you folks talked about. I think you mentioned you do a lot of biking around there. I can see why. We saw a lot of rivers, streams, that sort of thing on this trip, but the Metolius might have been my favorite.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

samsaf.....

I would highly recommend Oregon to anyway. Beautiful scenery, but also, the people are incredibly friendly. We didn't do much in Portland, but in general, the state also seemed very "clean." Don't recall seeing many things like trash, graffiti, things like that.

Old Sep 17th, 2008, 09:48 AM

tandg--Yes, the median caught fire and then spread across both sides of the freeway. It was a mess for quite a while. DH said they were stuck in it for about 90 minutes, and were rerouted through town. Friday afternoon for that was about the worst timing there could be, but hey, that's the way it goes.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 09:48 AM

tandg,
I have to say I was a little concerned about you having crammed so much into your itinerary. Glad that it all worked out, and sounds like you had a great time. BUT, you left out the important details. What'd you shoot?? And which did you like better, Bandon or Pacific Dunes?

Agree with you about Overleaf; nice, but no frills. But that view!! Covers a lot of blemishes.

Where along the Metolius did you hike? And did you make it to the fish hatchery?
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

mms....

Thanks for the info. Hope none of the building were affected.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

bb.....

Hey, I was going to mention the golf, but outside of you and me, I figured I'd bore most of the other posters!

On Bandon Dunes, we played from their "green" tees, which looked to be their standard men's tees (about 6200). I was really sailing along, even with the wind and unfamiliarity, but ended up tripling the last for an 82! Ugh...

Pacific was much harder. The greens were rock hard, and in fact on both courses, it almost looked like the grass was dying, though it still putted ok. This time, we played from the black (about 6600). To top it off the wind was howling and wind chill had to be around 50 (did I make enough excuses? ). Anyway, I proceeded to shoot 13 over, just on the front!! But right as we made the turn, the clouds broke, the sun came out and the wind died down and I came in with +2 on the back, so a +15 86 (par 71).

I would say I prefer Pacific (#14 hole may be the prettiest hole I've ever seen).

The resort itself is definitely catered to the golfer. Not a whole lot for spouses to do (fortunately, my wife likes to hike, so she did those trails). But the property is just magnificient.

For the Metolius, we actually did our hikes starting at the fish hatchery (thanks for the tip). Also, the colors of the river in that area were quite spectacular as you said. We must have spent quite a while just staring at it.

bb, thanks for all your tips. You really helped make things much easier to plan. All the Oregonions we met on this trip were like the posters here, super friendly and very helpful. Thanks again!!
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 10:27 AM

tandg--Bandon is building a spa, so if you come back maybe it will be done in time and your wife can enjoy that
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

mms, the clerk mentioned that spa! So we'll have to go back to check that out.....oh, and since we'll be there, I might as well try out the other course (Trails) and the new 18 they're building. I mean, since we're going to be there anyway....
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 11:42 AM

Glad you had a nice time! Isn't Short Sands Beach great? My son enjoyed a surf lesson there last week, very pretty area of the coast to spend time in. Thanks for the report back! ***kim***
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 12:47 PM

tandg--Did you see a mid 40's man with a bright orange OSU golf bag by chance?
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

kim....

That's quite a walk up and down that trail carrying a surf board, but it does seem like a popular beach. You sure do need a wet suit though. Nothing like surfing in nice warm weather in Hawaii!

mms....

I didn't see anyone that fit that description. Was that your brother? Is he a caddie?
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 02:52 PM

tandg--Yup, my bro...but not a caddie...he is the one in charge of the entire construction project that has been going on for the past few years. Quite the perks...
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Wow, that's pretty good!

And yes, I can imagine the perks.

But he's obviously doing a good job, because the place looks great, including "The Inn" where we stayed, which just got finished last month I believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -