Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Oregon? Southwest US? Where to go and what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's time to ask for suggestions, advice, and information for this year's vacation. My wife and I are trying to decide between a trip to the Pacific Northwest, probably Oregon, or the Southwest, to include the Grand Canyon. We have never been to either.

Things to consider:

We do not do popular night-life, although theater, shows (non-kitsch), and classical music are good. We like good food and wine and chocolate, and like to try local specialties. We like cultural and historical places, museums, art exhibits and galleries, photography, ethnological art/artifacts, crafts, zoos, aquariums, botanical gardens, wineries, and so on.

We don't often spend much for a fancy or quaint place to sleep, but will consider a nonmotel type place for a night or two. I do most of the driving, which means we don't like long interstate drives, but enjoy scenic routes despite my acrophobia. I get bored after driving for more than an hour or two without finding something to do for a while.

We don't hike, but enjoy walking in an interesting city or town, and will do walks that don't require hiking shoes or distances over a mile or two at a park or nature preserve.

The ideas we are considering for Oregon are very vague: Portland, wine country, scenic coastal and mountain drives, maybe a little Lewis & Clark. Any specific details appreciated.

For the Southwest we are thinking Phoenix (how long? what to see?), Sedona (jeep rather than hike), the Grand Canyon (South Rim shuttle and drives, a sunset +/- sunrise, maybe a few hundred yards of Bright Angel Trail), and then where? We can do an open jaw airflight if the rental car dropoff charge won't kill us, so Bryce and other Utah to Nevada areas and flying back to New York from Las Vegas is an option, or maybe head to Taos or Santa Fe?
The trip should be from 7 to 12 days, including flight days.

I've been searching the boards for a while now, but can't come up with a more definite plan. So, it's time to be intrigued or warned. Whre to go? What to see? What to do? The info I got here last year led to a great California trip, so I am hoping for a good result this year.

Thanks !!!

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't say how much time you have.

I might be a little biased; okay..a lot biased; I live in Portland. But I am also beyond excited about a trip to Santa Fe and Taos planned for later this year. Regardless, western Oregon has a match for each/any of your interests, especially if you include Ashland and the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. IMO, the question would be availability of accommodations of the type you're seeking.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 08:20 PM

What time of year are you planning to visit?

Lee Ann
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Ashland and Shakespeare. Sounds good. I'll google. Do you think there would be difficulty getting lodging and tickets?

So far the plan is for June, July or August for the trip. I here the summers are hot in Arizona. Oregon is sounding better.

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Ooops. Put a "hear" where the "here" is.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 07:53 PM

We had no problems finding a room and play tickets for late August. If you have some flexibility, you shouldn't have a problem.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 11:12 PM

The best time to visit the Southwest is probably late September or early October. May can be a good time, too. You would find it very hot in June, July and August, except at the highest elevations.

Oregon and the Pacific Northwest have some of the most pleasant Summer weather you could wish for. Go mid-July through early September if you can. You can find some cultural activities like the Ashland Shakespeare festival, but for the most part the emphasis is on outdoor activities. Don't miss the Oregon coast and Columbia River gorge. There are many other wonderful things to see in that area. The Seattle area is only a few hours north. The Olympic Peninsula is a gorgeous place to visit, also.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 01:45 AM

I would recommend Pacific Northwest, and include Seattle and possibly Vancouver. The key to my recommendation is the driving issue - when we did Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion 2 years ago we were amazed at how long, flat and boring the driving was south of the Grand Canyon (we were on our way to San Diego). Our teenage son said "If you fell asleep at the wheel for 10 minutes when you woke up you would still be on the road". Also, interesting food was not a highlight of this trip - rather basic American fare.

On another trip to Pacific Northwest, we found Seattle to be an interesting city - only spent about 18 hours in Portland so can't comment as much on that. Much better restaurants - great seafood. A stop between these cities at Mt. St. Helens was fascinating.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 01:52 PM

If you enjoy historical places, Astoria, OR would a must-see for you. www.oldoregon.com

Good food, wine, chocolate? Portland has a really nice chocolate shop in the Pearl District called Verdun that we fell in love with! DH will be back in Portland the end of the week and I'm hoping he brings some back for me.

Park Kitchen, Higgins, clarklewis, Bluehour, Wildwood and Pho Van Bistro, Hurley's are all wonderful places to dine in the Portland area. The Oregon Zoo is also very nice. Ponzi is a very nice winery in the Portland area, we just bought three different types of Pinot Noir from them.

In Ashland, take in a play and the Green Show before the plays start. Chateaulin, www.chateaulin.com is a very nice little French restaurant that produces some excellent food in a very cozy atmosphere with great service. Check out the Ashland Springs Hotel in Ashland. www.ashlandspringshotel.com A very beautiful hotel that serves a nice buffet breakfast on the mezzanine level of the hotel.

Portland also some very nice gardens that might interest you. The Rose Gardens and the Chinese Classical Gardens are both beautiful.

The coastal drives are beautiful on the northern Oregon coast. Cannon Beach and Seaside are both very nice and Manzanita is also worth checking out. I think the PNW has much to offer in what your'e looking for. Have a wonderful trip! ***kim***
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:10 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
While I agree about the northwest over the southwest, I should also point out that the Ashland/Medford area in the summer can hold its own heat-wise with the southwest - 90-100°F days are not uncommon.

Given your penchant for non-long-driving itineraries, and your 7-12 day limit, I'm actually thinking you could look farther north than Oregon - Seattle/Vancouver in particular, which would cover all your bases.

For example, while the Ashland Shakespeare program is great (going ourselves in June for a couple of playdays) Ashland becomes quite expensive in the season, plus it's a long drive from other destinations like the Oregon coast or Crater Lake, never mind Portland.

On the other hand, Vancouver has the "Bard on the Beach" Shakespeare thang in a very cool tent theatre complex right on False Creek opposite the city skyline. We saw a first rate version of the Scottish Play there last summer, for half the price per person of the Ashland shows. Plus, using Priceline you can get a four-star hotel most nights in Vancouver for half the price of an okay motel in Ashland. And needless to say Vancouver offers a rather larger selection of restaurants, outings, excursions, and other attractions than the Rogue River Valley.

You could spend a few days in Vancouver, take the gorgeous drive up the "Sea to Sky" Highway to Whistler, or ferry over to Victoria, or island-hop up the Sunshine Coast, then migrate south to Seattle for more in-city joys, Mt Rainier or Olympic National Park, ferry rides, more lakefront concerts or jazz; again, plenty of variety that is not totally car-dependent, and way cooler than lead-melting Phoenix.

Just a thought.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:46 PM

Some of the Shakespeare fans out there might be interested to know that Cedar City, Utah (north of Zion by 30 minutes and west of Cedar Breaks and Bryce) has a highly acclaimed Shakespeare Festival that runs most of the summer. They also have other productions in addition to the Bard's work.

The director of the festival received a Tony award a couple years ago for his work.

That said, AJ, I do think the Pacific northwest sounds like the summer trip for you.

You might try the southwest in spring or fall - the best time!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:52 PM

Oh! You did say how much time you're planning! With 7 - 12 days, Oregon and Washington (and maybe Vancouver) would be too much unless you plan to use Portland and Seattle as bases, with day trips to the coast, mountains, wine country, or wherever. And that might leave Ashland, which is a solid 4+ hours of freeway driving from Portland, out of the picture.

If you stayed in Oregon, I'd suggest 2-4 nights in Portland with daytrips to the Columbia River gorge, Mt. Hood, and wine country, 2 in Ashland, and the rest along the coast. With 4 nights, you could cover the entire 325 miles of coastline. A more leisurely drive would be to see only the central and southern portions (Lincoln City south).
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

It looks like those who know favor Oregon/Washington/Vancouver over the Southwest, and my wife agrees! I have searched these boards and found more info, too.

So, now I am thinking Portland and maybe Seattle and Vancouver for cities, Ashland for a little culture, wineries, and various mountain, forest and coasts for scenery.

Any personal favorites that anyone wants to post here will be welcome.

Thanks again!

AJ
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 06:57 PM

In Seattle, we like the Edgewater Hotel located directly on the water. It's a gorgeous property. We had a panoramic view room that came with breakfast each am at the restaurant, Six Seven.

The Space Needle, Pike Place Market, ferry ride to Bainbridge Island and the small aquarium there were all fun. We enjoyed the Dahlia Lounge, Salty's and the Flying Fish for great dinners. I would like to see Teatro Zinzanni when we return again in June to Seattle. ***kim***
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 07:00 PM

I would like to advise Columbia River Gorge just east of Portland, OR. If you go through California Redwoods is good and find the Lost Coast. Also Lake Tahoe is pretty cool. If you go through Arizona stay north. It's hot hot hot in Phoenix. Like 110degrees. If you have the time Sedona is absolutely gorgeous.
-Jenna