Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Yosemite with Dad - handicap placard needed?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are taking my Dad to Yosemite and while not in a wheelchair, he can't walk that far. I know I have seen cars driving out to Mirror Lake beyond the shuttle stop. Anyone know how I can do that with him? Thanks is much.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 07:16 AM

Check out this pdf:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/access.pdf
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 07:40 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I can't speak to Yosemite specifically but I STRONGLY recommend that you get the handicapped tag/placard for your trip. My sister refused to do so and her stubbornness made our trip to the Grand Canyon (and other points) far more stressful (and painful for her). Do whatever you can before you leave and you will have the options to use it for special parking/access on the trip - or not. That choice would have been priceless for us.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 08:03 AM

Get handicapped placard, also as handicapped he can get lifetime free card for free access to all national parks - and this will include all who travel with him.

National parks include Yosemite, Muir Woods, Hyde street pier, Grand Canyon and others.

You can take him to Hyde st. pier just to get the card, he must be there in person with ID to get the card. This will speed up your Yosemite entrance - he will have the card already, and all in the car get free access.

If he doesn't have a handicapped ID, I think there is a form for his doctor to sign. Or he can use the blue or red handicapped parking sign.

If you have more questions, my e-mail is in my profile.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. He has a handicap placard from Colorado so will have him bring it along.
He just has to remember to put it in his suitcase.

Yes, my husband turned 62 so we are excited to be able to get in free. lol No time to go to SF beforehand.

Yes, Paul, I saw that link. If you look at the top of page 3 it talks about a temporary handicap placard which I found confusing so I sent off an e-mail. This was the response:

Temporary accessible parking placards are obtained at the entrance station
when entering the park.  If you enter when the entrance station is closed,
you can obtain one at the Visitor Center in Yosemite Valley.  If you have
some type of written proof, be sure to bring it with you.  If not, the
staff at the gate will ask your father a few questions prior to issuing the
permit.  Be sure to let them know if your father uses a wheel chair or
walker.

Cheri A. Murdock
Administrative Coordinator
Division of Project Management
Yosemite National Park
209-379-1138 Phone
209-379-1149 Fax
[email protected]
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 10:54 AM

I haven't ridden the tram around Maripossa Grove, but just wanted to make sure you knew about it. It is a great option for those with limited mobility or small children.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 12:49 PM

Spiro, where did you board that tram? We'll stay in Wawona.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 01:08 PM

I haven't ridden it. but click on the link for full info

http://www.yosemitepark.com/big-trees-tram-tour.aspx
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 01:31 PM

If your Dad qualifies for a disabled placard, by all means get one! It makes life immeasurably easier. Just be cautious to not park in a handicapped spot if he is not with you...the fines can be horrendous.
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Just got back. When we entered the gate I told the ranger that my Dad couldn't walk very far and could we please have a temporary handicap placard for him so we could drive him to Mirror Lake. She gave us a photocopied blue placard and a hand.out with the instructions we were to turn it when leaving, which we did.

Driving to Mirror Lake, parking, and walking the short distance to the lake was ok for him. Walking the 1/4 mile uphill to Lower Yosemite Falls was impossible. At Glacier Point he was ready to give up walking again the 1/4 mile to the viewpoint but I encouraged him telling him the view was amazing. He made it with several breaks.

He really enjoyed photographing Half Dome from Sentinal Bridge at sunset. The tram ride in the morning ($25 for adults and $23 for seniors) worked out well. He enjoyed the open air although at times it was hot especially we we had to stop for construction on the way to Tunnel View.

He has been telling people on the phone that the trip was amazing so count it as a success.

FYI we stayed 2 nights at the Yosemite Westgate Lodge at Buck Meadows. Not luxurious accommodations by any means but adequate with fridge, microwave, and coffee pot. We ate out breakfasts outside under the gazebo. The beds were foam (I think) and the second night when we were tired, we slept much better on them. Very clean room, very nice owners.

We ate one night at the Groveland Hotel and one night at the Mountain Broiler Room at Yosemite Lodge. Both were ok. Enjoyed sitting outside at the Goveland Hotel.