Oregon road trip September

Old Jan 15th, 2020, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

Oregon road trip September

Hello everyone,
DH , myself and our 2 Westies are taking a road trip from the SF Bay Area to Yachats then back down the coast home.
we have booked our first night in Ashland with plans to head north inland and head to the coast near Eugene.
3 nights in Yachats, 2 nights in Gold Beach and last night in Mendocino.

Any suggestions on things to see, not miss in the above areas?? We enjoy hiking, I am into birding, the pups are low key but will be a factor as to where we go. On the plus side Oregon is much more dog friendly as far as parks and beaches.

Thanks in advance for any ideas shared
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 06:32 AM
mms

Yes, OR is very dog friendly overall. We have taken our dogs to the OR coast my entire life. For parks especially, be sure to keep them on leash.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 07:08 AM

Unless there is something you really want to see in Eugene, take 138 west from just north of Roseburg off I-5. You hit Rt. 38 at Elkton. About 5 miles east of Reedsport stop to see the Roosevelt elk at the Dean's Creek viewing area. Take a good hike at the Oregon Dunes before arriving at Yachats (pronounced ya-HOTS). I like 38 better than 126 to go to the coast even without the chance to see elk.
Maybe on the way home you can stop to see the "Trees of Mystery" for an up close look at some great Coast Redwoods. They have a chairlift up to a viewing platform that at times you can see to the ocean.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Tom always good to have alternative routes. We hope to find some things to explore enroute to Yachats etc
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 06:18 AM

What month will this be? And can we presume you're familiar enough with the redwoods that you can shoot past the main groves on the way south?

I agree with Tom re using SR 38 out to the coast; IMO it's the fastest and prettiest of all the routes.

Perhaps you're familiar with the Oregon Coast Birding Trail - Oregon Coast Birding Trail
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 07:16 AM
mms

In the title is says September.
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

I did not know about the Oregon birding trail. Thank you, I will check it out.
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 11:06 AM

Yeah, September. Doh! Sorry.

With any stops in the redwoods, Gold Beach to Mendocino can be a pretty long day. I'd wonder out loud if you might consider swapping one of the Gold Beach nights for one a bit farther south, around Eureka and Humboldt Bay. If you did, you could (a) enjoy a meal at the Samoa Cookhouse, a former lumber mill mess hall with hearty food served family style, and (b) think about a loop past the top of the "Lost Coast," the last remaining coastal wilderness in California. From Ferndale (a lovely little village full of terrific Victorian architecture) you can loop out to the top of the Lost Coast, then back to the Avenue of the Giants (another "don't-miss" part of the drive IMO.) Map - https://goo.gl/maps/UFq3VYE1Zkqug7bV9
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

We need the 2 nights in gold beach as there is this incredible restaurant we discovered several years ago....I just have to go back! Ferndale is a cool little town, we may need to wander around there. Thank you for the suggestions
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 08:31 PM

Instead of staying IN Mendocino check out Little River Inn just 5 minutes south of town. Dog friendly and glorious views

https://www.littleriverinn.com
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

We stayed there on our honeymoon a million years ago!! Unfortunately, they didn't have a compatible room for the date we needed. So we're staying up the road a bit