Search

Oregon road trip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2016, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oregon road trip

Leaving fresno area on a Sunday and stopping at burney falls on the way up to portland. Spending first night in klammoth falls and heading up to portland. Want to visit the gorge river and Japanese gardens. Not sure how many days I should stay in portland. Want to head back home on the 101 and spend 1 night somewhere on the coast just not sure where. Planning to be back on Saturday. Any hotel suggestions or places to see along the way? Not sure if I should stay in same hotel in portland or try different hotels.
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 09:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
It's 6.5 to 7 hours from Fresno to Burney Falls. Depending on how long you spend at the falls, I wouldn't go any farther than Weed, CA for your first night.
Do you have any desire to see Crater Lake NP?
If you are going north on US 97, Bend is a lot nicer than Klamath Falls IMO.
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 10:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>spending first night in klammoth [sic] falls<<

Not very doable -- Fresno to McArthur-Burney Falls to Klamath Falls is a 9 hour drive w/o a single stop ( and it would take longer if you hit the Tracy/Stockton/Sacramento stretch during the morning commute.)
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Yes we will be going on 97 to portland. I did think of staying in bend first night but seemed like a far drive the first day. Think I will pass on crater lake. Any suggestions on places to stay in portland? Should I go on 84 to portland and stay one night near dalles if I want to visit Multnomah falls?
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 07:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Take 97 to Madras and then US 26 to Government Camp and then north on 35 into Hood River. Spend a night in Hood River and then see Multnomah and several other falls off the old Columbia Gorge highway which parallels I-84.
The Dalles is not great when compared with Hood River.
Hood River is a sailboard mecca.
Portland has hotels in all price ranges depending on your budget.
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 08:09 AM

Why Klamath Falls? Nothing much of interest there, and it would take about the same amount of time to get from Burney Falls to Ashland, which is a great little town. From there do a drive by of Crater Lake on your way to Bend and Hood River, as Tom suggests. And next day, visit the Columbia River Gorge on your way into Portland.

As I understand, you've got six nights and 1,800 +/- miles of driving. IMO you're biting off more than you can chew, but if you stick to that plan, I'd suggest two nights before Portland, two nights in Portland, and the last two on the return trip down the coast. Bandon would be my recommendation for the first of those.
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you guys for all the 411. This is our first time going to Oregon and 1st time doing a road trip this long. Klammoth Falls is just to sleep overnight but i appreciate all the info. We will consider all your suggestions.
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 01:57 PM

Klamath (note the spelling) Falls isn't much to write home about . . . and is much too far from Fresno for your first night if you plan on visiting McArthur Burney Falls State Park.

Why not break for your first night farther south -still in California even. You could visit the Falls, then Castle Crags, then stay in Dunsmuir, Mt Shasta, Yreka or Ashland.
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 02:47 PM

oops -- accidentally cut off my last sentence.

>> . . . then stay in Dunsmuir, Mt Shasta, Yreka or Ashland.<< Of those Ashland is nicest, then Mt Shasta city, then Dunsmuir and finally Yreka.
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 10:37 PM
Original Poster

I'm having second thoughts about driving down the 101. Would it be better to stay a few more nights in portland or maybe 1 extra and just do half or none of the 101. We also want to see oneantagorge falls. Just seems like there is a lot to do around portland. Just hate booking along the coast right now because we may need more time in portland.