Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Oregon for 6 days (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/oregon-for-6-days-939217/)

fergy3323772 Jun 15th, 2012 08:07 AM

Oregon for 6 days

I am whisking my husband off to Oregon for his 60th b'day from Chicago.
After some research, here is what I came up with. I know it is ambitious, but we like to be on the go stay busy and wind down at dinner.
Day 1: arrive Portland by noon, spend time in the city- (dinner suggestions?)
Day 2: Cascade/Mt Hood area (suggestions as to where to stay)?
Day 3: Willamet wineries(big red cab and syrah fans --should I book a tour?) and spend a night Eugene
Day 4: Drive down the coast (which part is best on 101?)
Umpqua valley wineries --spend a night in Roseburg area
Day 5: Drive to Crater Lake, drive to Eugene for the night
Day 6: Nice breakfast in Eugene, then to Portland airport for afternoon flight.
Any comments, suggestions would be most appreciated!!

ponygal Jun 15th, 2012 12:12 PM

Hi fergy, I have a few suggestions for you! Downtown Portland has many great restaurants. One of my favorites is Jakes which is primarily a seafood house. There's a nice restaurant inside the Benson Hotel (also downtown). Can't remember the name right now, but it's very classy and the food is suberb. The Cascade/MtHood area covers a large area. If you want to take a beautiful drive through the Columbia Gorge, you'll be able to visit Multnomah Falls (quite spectacular) and end up in Hood River. If you want to actually go to Mt. Hood, head towards Government Camp/Sandy area and proceed from there. I've never stayed anywhere in that area except for campgrounds, so can't suggest a place. However, Hood River Inn is nice as is the Best Western near there. If you really want to visit the wineries in the valley area, then you'll end up driving a lot. Not sure about any tours for the wineries, but most used to be open during the day in the summer. If there is a nice tour, you may want to do that to save you time - there are many wineries in that area. Eugene is a nice college town - the University of Oregon is there (GO DUCKS!). The Oregon coast is the most beautiful of all coastlines, I think (though the northern part is better than the southern part). To see it, you would need to take Highway 101. It's slow going because it's only two lanes in most areas, but it's a nice drive. There's not much in Roseburg. You'll love Crater Lake. Depending on when you go, there may be snow so check. It can be very cold there even when it's hot on the way, so have a warm jacket (though being from Chicago you may love it! Just kidding - my husband is from Chicago.) There are nice trails and many view points at Crater Lake so plan to spend a few hours there. There is a nice restaurant too. Just so you know, the drive from Eugene to the Portland Airport will take about 3+ hours, but it's a fairly direct drive. And, of course, depending on what time of day you are driving, the traffic can get very bad. So, to help you out with planning your trip, I found a site - www.budgettraveldeal.com - that has excellent rates on hotels and flights and will save you time. I use it and love it. If you want to check hotels there and then ask me about them, I'm happy to assist. Just so you know - I was born and raised in the Portland, Oregon area but had to move to Arizona for warmer weather! Hope this helps you!

happytrailstoyou Jun 15th, 2012 03:12 PM

<i>Cascade/Mt Hood area (suggestions as to where to stay)?</i>

Stay at the Best Western in Hood River. Book one of the new rooms on the river with balcony. Have dinner on the deck of the hotel dining room or in town at Cilelo.

<I>Drive down the coast (which part is best on 101?)</I>

Ocean views from 101 are good from Lincoln City to Florence and great from Port Orford to Brookings.

I would spend more time on the coast and less (or no) time in Eugene or Roseburg.

HTTY

Connie Jun 16th, 2012 06:06 AM

If you go through Astoria, we enjoyed the Coast Guard/Maritime museum and climbing up the Astoria Column. Just down the road is the Lewis and Clark fort. Good video about their trip. It's small and doesn't take long.

Cannon Beach and Ecola State Park (for great coast views) were our favorite area in the northern coast area.

Tillamook Cheese factory was fun too.

tomfuller Jun 16th, 2012 06:54 AM

All good advice above- Here are my thoughts on seeing what you want in Oregon. Land at PDX and take the light rail into the city. Rent the car downtown when you need it the next day.
Head west on US 30 to Astoria where you get on US 101 south to either Seaside or Cannon Beach. Each has merit. Take 101 south to Florence with a stop at Tillamook and maybe at the Aquarium just south of Newport. Take 128 over to Eugene. Next day take I-5 south to Roseburg to get on 138 east to the Diamond Lake/Crater Lake area. You would enjoy Bend but if you can't find the time, head back over OR 58 to get back to Eugene. Either way, get to Hood River and Mt. Hood (Timberline). Be sure to make a stop at Multnomah Falls. Turn in the car in Portland and take the light rail back to PDX.