Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Oregon Coast Winter Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/oregon-coast-winter-travel-1160323/)

catlew08 Nov 28th, 2016 07:45 AM

Oregon Coast Winter Travel

I'm heading to the Oregon coast after Christmas. I've been there in the fall but never in winter. I have a water resistant winter coat, but I'm not sure what type of shoes are best for walking the beach and streets at that time of year. What do locals wear for beach walking in winter?

janisj Nov 28th, 2016 09:05 AM

>>What do locals wear for beach walking in winter?<<

They mostly don't. Winter storms make it very iffy.

Fodorite018 Nov 28th, 2016 11:06 AM

An Oregonian here, but we live just over an hour from the coast, so not a true coastal local;)

When we head over in the winter, we do walk along the beach and just wear sturdy tennis shoes. Old ones, that we use for just this type of thing. Yes our feet get wet, but that is fine, we won't melt.

janisj Nov 28th, 2016 01:23 PM

Ah - but mms . . . you live 'locally' and can change plans on the fly and not head to the coast when a storm is headed in. The OP is traveling on set dates.

But yes, I agree - just wear old shoes will get wet.

Fodorite018 Nov 28th, 2016 02:10 PM

janisj--Yes, but we do go over for the storms. That is some of the best viewing! Locals head over for those.

janisj Nov 28th, 2016 05:26 PM

Yeah --me too. I often go to Mendocino/Little River to watch a storm (being in N. CA not S. OR) - but not to walk on the beach really. To sit by the fireplace w/ an Irish coffee and watch the waves/storm.

sludick Nov 28th, 2016 05:53 PM

Not an Oregonian, but - my attire consists of a loose gortex rain jacket (so I can layer up underneath) and my oldest pair of waterproof Keens. Pride prohibits anything more extreme.

Fodorite018 Nov 29th, 2016 07:15 AM

janisj--The people I know here go to watch the storms, but also to walk on the beach. Oregonians do not let the weather stop us from getting outside:)

janisj Nov 29th, 2016 07:31 AM

>>Oregonians do not let the weather stop us from getting outside:)<<

Simple . . . if you worried about the weather . . . you'd never get outside at all ;) >)

elbegewa Nov 29th, 2016 12:57 PM

watch storms on the Oregon coast can be a highlight if you use rain gear and old runners ... I love exploring the beach then.

But exercise caution: the ocean can be very violent and the surf can throw huge logs through the air onto the sand. Don't let that intimidate you, but just stay aware and especially look for any logs that might be floating. People only rarely (almost never?) get hit, but the potential is there, so just be aware if walking on the beach during a storm.

And always be aware of incoming tides ... make sure you are in a place that tides or large waves won't trap you.

And do be aware that although the edge of the surf and runnup of water onto the beach seems rather consistent, every once on a while (every 7th to 14th wave?)a bigger wave occurs and sends water much further onto the beach - especially during storms.

It's safer and more comfortable to watch from above the beach, but is you like adventure...

Fodorite018 Nov 29th, 2016 01:51 PM

janisj--So true!

elbegewa--Good advice. Being a local, it is ingrained in me to never turn my back to the ocean and to always leave plenty of room between me and logs and the surf, depending on conditions.

tomfuller Nov 29th, 2016 02:19 PM

Which section of the Oregon coast are you planning to visit? How are you arriving in Oregon?
I don't intend on going to the Oregon Coast until sometime next summer or fall.
I tend to visit warmer and drier places in the wintertime.