Oregon Coast, town of Newport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Oregon wine country and Oregon coast in May 2009. We planned on stopping in Newport, on the coast for a night. We are also staying in Lincoln City, as well as, McMinnville and Eugene and Portland. We are doing the wine tour and then along the coast to rest and enjoy the view. Looking for somewhere to stay in Newport that is reasonable and overlooking the ocean for one night. Any suggestions would be helpful. LC, Panama City FL
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 05:50 PM

I've stayed at the Elizabeth Street Inn in Newport a few times. It's a modern place, very decent, not tons of character. Fireplaces in the rooms. I don't recall if all rooms have ocean views but at least half of them do. It may be one of the more expensive places in Newport but there aren't many nice hotels there, anyway.

There's also a Shilo Inn and a Hallmark adjacent. These places would all have views of Nye Beach. The Sylvia Beach Hotel is nearby and is a small place known for its book themes; I think there are rooms named after famous authors but I've never stayed there myself. No radios or TVs in the rooms.

You can find reviews of all of these hotels on Trip Advisor from people who have stayed at them recently, plus find prices for your dates.

FYI, Lincoln City and Newport really aren't that far apart, not even 40 miles apart. I'm not sure why you're stopping in Lincoln City - maybe you have a good reason to. I'm one of those people who likes to minimize hotel changes if I can. You can drive from McMinnville to Newport in about 90 minutes.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 05:53 PM

We like to stay in a deluxe room at Hallmark Inn, which overlooks the ocean. The room is large with a fireplace and mini-kitchen. This is a big hotel, but a great value and near historic Nye Beach.

Avoid Georgies Grill at the Hallmark. It used to be good, but is no longer. We like to eat at April's in Nye Beach.

While in Newport, drive south through the towns of Waldport and Yachats and to the top of Cape Perpetua--the highest point on the coast. Beautiful drive and a spectacular view.

HTTY
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Here is our plan, tell me what you think. We arrive in Portland on Sat. May 23, Memorial Day Weekend. This is a special weekend in Willamette Valley because some wineries are open only that weekend and Thanksgiving weekend. We would like to visit these since they are not open any other time of year. So we plan to arrive in Portland and drive to McMinnville on Sat., our flight arrives early, and spend the weekend there. We will then drive to Eugene and visit wineries along the way and stay in Eugene for one night. Tuesday we plan on heading to the coast, taking our time and spending a night in Newport. A friend of mine is from Oregon and said Lincoln City is a great place to visit and has great food. We were going to stay a night there and then head to Portland until Sat. the 30th. A couple traveling with us wants to go to King Estate near Eugene, reason for the detour. We are also interested in breweries, my husband brews and needs micro brew. ha
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 08:36 PM

Well, I don't mean to denigrate Lincoln City - I mean, I have driven through the place two dozen times over the last few years and have never stopped more than a few times. One of my old bosses used to take his family there to the beach every summer. I'm sure I don't know the highlights of the place. But I don't think the place is known for its cuisine. Lincoln City is a long, sprawling town along US 101 (it was originally 5 small towns that merged in the 1960s I think). Driving through, you pass a ton of gas stations, fast food restaurants, and hotels, as well as a bunch of other retail, here and there. It has some decent family beaches I think, but I've never felt much desire to stop there. The things I want to do always seem to be in Newport.

I'm not sure what you'd even do in Lincoln City overnight, after having driven only about 30 minutes from Newport. (Some places to stop along the way up, though - beautiful scenery.) The beach won't be warm in May - probably not, bring your sweatshirts. If you have a particular restaurant you wish to check out there, I think I'd almost drive up from Newport or stop along the way rather than staying overnight in Lincoln City just for that.

I think I'd recommend instead of staying in Lincoln City driving a bit further north up to Cannon Beach (about 2.5 hours from Newport). Cannon Beach is a much smaller town than Lincoln City, with an extremely scenic beach - if you are lucky enough to see it at sunset, with Haystack Rock and the smaller rocks next to it, you won't forget it the sight. I'd think anyone interested in wineries would appreciate the quaintness of Cannon Beach more than Lincoln City.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 09:15 PM

I love the suggestion for spending time in Cannon Beach. We spend several weeks a year at our beach cottage in nearby Seaside. ***kim***
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 11:10 PM

While in Newport, try to take in the aquarium. I wasn't real sold on the idea of going since I've been to so many, but we went anyway.

It was great! On the small side...nothing like Monteray or even Long Beach, but it was just as nice in it's own way. More intimate and you get a REAL UP CLOSE view of the seals, sea birds and the like.

Also, I'd recommend lunch at Local Ocean, down by the docks. Great food, and afterward you can walk amongst the docks between the fishing boats and then puruse the many shops and boutiques along the street. Also, tones of sea lions sunning themselves.

I'm not an expert in the area, but we drove through Lincoln City on the way down the coast, and as Andrew said, though it's a very large sprawling town, there was nothing really there that made me want to stop and look around. I could be wrong, but just my feeling on the town.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 11:26 PM

I agree. Skip Lincoln City unless you want to visit the outlet malls. Newport is really nice. We've stayed at the Sylvia Beach Hotel, the one with the book themes. It's funky and fun, not upscale. They have a great restaurant in the basement where you are served family style at large tables. The dinner includes games like "Two truths and a lie." Once, Wllm Shakespeare came to dinner and answered questions without breaking character (there was a show in town and the actor came). Newport has a great lighthouse, the Yaquina Head. Also, just south of the lighthouse (and north of Newport) is Agate Beach, where you can go beachcombing for agates. Bring a bucket. As mentioned, the aquarium is good.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 05:14 AM

Cannon Beach is nicer much than Seaside . . Arch Cape is very nice too ( south of Cannon Beach)..
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 05:50 AM

When our car broke down on a Friday evening, we were stranded in Lincoln City for a weekend, and we were surprised at what a good time we had there; however, I agree with those who advise you to spend your second night on the coast at Cannon Beach.

HTTY
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 06:51 AM

happy, if your car has to break down, at least it did so in a town that you enjoyed :- )
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 07:16 AM

I agree, no reason to stay in Lincoln City as well.

Another vote for Elizabeth Street Inn in Newport. We stayed there last summer and loved it. All rooms are oceanfront, and parking is covered. The hotel itself is quite nice as Andrew mentioned, and a short walk to the Nye Beach area.

Yes, the wineries that weekend are a lot of fun It gets pretty busy and the main road, hwy99w, gets very congested, but it is worth it. Be sure that you have a designated driver though as the police have a heavy presence here.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 08:16 AM

We liked the Elizabeth Street Inn when it first opened and rates were in the $99 range, but these days we find that we get much more for our money at the Hallmark Inn.

HTTY
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 02:26 PM

For an elegant dining in Lincoln City, try the Bay House. Main dining room is expensive, but the bar is great. Both have beautiful views of the bay and great food.
Side Door, Black Fish, and Wild Flower are good, too.
For lodging, Inn at Spanish Head is built into the cliff--10 floors, all ocean front. If you want cheap and quaint, The Historic Anchor Inn is right out of the '50's.
In Lincoln City, in the "Historic Taft District" is the Jennifer Sears Glass Foundry. You can blow your own glass floats.
If you are a hiker, go north of Lincoln City, turn west on 3 rocks road and go to the access to the trail up Cascade Head. When you get to the meadow on top, you will have the most fantastic view you can imagine. Or just south of Lincoln City, follow the signs to Drift Creek Falls. Beautiful hike down to a suspension bridge at the base of the falls.
The Rogue Brewery in Newport, near the Aquarium, should fix your brewery needs. And the Aquarium is really worth seeing.
There is a lot to do in Lincoln City. You just need to stop and look.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 02:28 PM

But don't go in the water. The Pacific, especially here, is very different from the Atlantic and we lose a couple tourists every year. Some times even locals.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 09:05 PM

well I don't know you taste or budget- but recently I stayed at the Sylvia Beach Hotel in Newport - its an old eclectic hotel and billed as a book lovers hotel- every room is named after a different author- including the Edgar Allen Poe room- its right on the ocean and great beach with lots of cute shops and restaurants within walking distance.

In the morning you are served a giant breakfast in the dining room with ocean views. They also serve dinners there in the evening. There are lots of books to read and puzzles to do. My group really enjoyed it there but is certainly not a 4 star hotel if that is what you are looking for.

Have fun
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 03:27 PM

My wife and I once stayed in the Poe room at Sylvia Beach, sunbum. Great fun reading the room's guest book. They still play Two Truths and a Lie at dinner? Oh, just saw your post Orcas. When were you last there? Many years ago for us....

If you're still reading Imgrt, what wineries are you planning to visit? One your friends might particularly enjoy is J Albin, located in the hills NW of Newberg. John Albin's day job is Director of Viticulture and Winemaking at King Estates, but also produces wines under his own label. And in my opinion they're much better than what he's basically forced to do at King Estates.