Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Oregon Coast First Time questions/Need itinerary HELP (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/oregon-coast-first-time-questions-need-itinerary-help-769885/)

JudyADenver Feb 27th, 2009 06:32 AM

Oregon Coast First Time questions/Need itinerary HELP

My husband and I are planning a long drive trip from Denver to see the Oregon coast for the first time. We are taking our 45 pound goldendoodble along which will definitely create some challenges for us ( we cannot go in museums or other indoor sightseeing because of the dog because I am reluctant to lock her up in the car)

We are not the type to sit around reading all day, staring out at the ocean. We like activity--some light hiking or general sightseeing. Are dogs permitted on the beaches?

We can go any time -- perhaps the end of August, beginning of September might be best for our best chances of good weather as well as fewer people?? What is the weather like at this time?

We like upscale hotels but often they tend not to be pet friendly. Being right on the beach would be wonderful. Denver is so water deprived that we long to be near the water as much as possible. Any hotel suggestions would be great.

My husband would LOVE to play a round a golf at Bandon Dunes but since I am a non golfer, I can't imagine I would be very entertained hanging around in a generic dog friendly motel in a small town. Or is this area so drop dead gorgeous that I would enjoy a day walking around alone? Too bad the Bandon Dunes Golf Resort does not allow dogs. Are there any great hotels/inns in this area which might accept dogs?

How should we divide up our time? I started with this itinerary and hope you will help me improve on the following:
Night 1 on the road (20 hours from Denver to Cannon Beach) Surfsand is pet friendly
Night 2,3 Cannon Beach (to recover from the LONG 2 day drive)
Night 4 Yachats
Night 5 Gold Beach ? (The TuTu Turn Lodge does NOT accept pets)
Night 6--somewhere on the way to Lake Tahoe (divide up the 9 hour drive)
Night 7 8 9, 10 Lake Tahoe (Deerfield Lodge South Lake Tahoe)
Night 11 on the road (16 hours from Lake Tahoe to Denver)
arrive home Night 12

We could be gone 14 days but can't figure out where to add 2 extra nights? Any ideas how to expand the trip?

Fodorite018 Feb 27th, 2009 06:42 AM

I would suggest early September as we typically have some of our best weather then, and kids are back in school so fewer crowds.

The Surfsand in Cannon Beach is great. That is always where we stay when we head over to CB, and we take our Golden and she is welcomed, not just tolerated:) They truly are pet friendly and provide treats,bowls, towels and a sheet for your dog as well. There are plastic bags provided for your use as well in a couple places around the property. Also an outdoor shower for you as well as the dog to rinse the sand off, and they keep a bowl of water outside for the dogs. The Surfsand is very nice, so you will not be disappointed. Also, they are the only hotel on the OR coast to have cabana service.

Ecola State Park is on the north edge of town and a great place to hike with your dog. The Surfsand is a great location to walk to the heart of downtown, or to walk to Haystack Rock. Both are very close to the hotel.

A nice hike that is outside of CB by about 15 minutes or so is Saddle Mountain. If it is a clear day the views are amazing!

beachbum Feb 27th, 2009 07:29 AM

With the economy as it is, I don't know how heavy play will be at Bandon Dunes, but my experience has been that you need to stay on site to get a tee time. As a single, your husband might not have a problem though. And you might be able to swing it without spending a night. There's a nice trail to the beach starting from near the Lily Pond buildings. You and the dog could do that while your husband plays golf. I walked the trail a few years ago when we got rained out one day. It's a mile or so to the beach, and when I got there, not another soul in sight. Almost a surreal experience. Not to mention an encounter with a porcupine.

I'm not familiar with many pet friendly lodgings down the coast, except for SurfSand, which I agree is a great place. The Fireside in Yachats allows them, I think, but, except for the view, it's not nearly as nice as its sister property, Overleaf Lodge.

If you can find acceptable accommodations, I'd suggest adding a day or two to the coast. Scenery is stunning, and you'll get a huge kick out of watching your dog play on the beaches. But as you've learned, most of the better places down the coast don't allow pets.

JudyADenver Feb 27th, 2009 09:05 AM

Thanks for the confirmation about the SurfSand. It sure looks great on their website but that can be decieving so it's great to hear about your first hand experience. I noticed that the weekends in September are already booked so it must be a very popular time. How many nights before we get ready to move on-- 3 nights so we have 2 full days?

I will definitely call the Bandon Dunes to ask some qustions about getting a tee time.

beachbum Feb 28th, 2009 08:21 AM

Two days in Cannon Beach would allow time to relax, but there's plenty to see in the area if you want to stay busy. Same is true on the central coast. On the south coast, I think you'd be happy with a leisurely drive, provided you allow time for stops at roadside parks/viewpoints.

JudyADenver Mar 1st, 2009 08:55 AM

I ended up making a commitment since we are so limited. Finding great places to stay which will take a dog has been very challenging. Here's what I booked:

3 nights (2 days) SurfSand --Cannon Beach
2 nights Hallmark-Newport
1 night Bandon--Best Western Inn at Face Rock
(no Golf--Bandon Dunes green fees are $325 per round!)
1 night Woodsman--Mount Shasta
3 nights Deerfield Lodge--Lake Tahoe

I am currently trying to decide if we should spend 2 nights at Yosemite at the Yosemite View Lodge near the entrance.
Having a dog could be so limiting but then we are not big hikers and might just be happy with the few trails available with a dog.

saige Mar 1st, 2009 11:38 AM

The tide pools on the Oregon coast are amazing! If you're at all interested in nature, you should try to spend some time exploring them. There are purple, red and orange sea stars (starfish), some the size of dinner plates, and so much more to see. Have a wonderful trip.

sunbum1944 Mar 3rd, 2009 08:07 AM

Since the Bandon Dunes is so expensive you might check out
Sandpines near Florence - I dont golf but friends who have played there enjoyed it

http://www.sandpines.com/

The beaches around there are pretty dog friendly - I see many people letting dogs run on beach without leash.

My favorite beach around there is at Devils Elbow State park-
Thats where the Heceta Head lighthouse is located

Its a nice little cove - you can walk the trail up to the lighthouse for some great views- or longer hike starting from behind the lighthouse if you choose.

There are picnic tables and some grills also if you want to have a picnic.

I like this beach because it is a little more protected than some of the others so on a windy day you can just hunker down behind a log with a book and you wont be blown away (although in Sept, it us usually pretty nice at the coast)

If you stop in Florence, my favorite restaurant is Travelers Cove - its not amazing food but its OK - but they have an outside deck overlooking the river and views of the bridge so very enjoyable on a nice day -

Enjoy!!

beachbum Mar 3rd, 2009 08:19 AM

Yeah, green fees at Bandon are steep, but if he were to play either Bandon Dunes or Pacific Dunes, I doubt your husband would regret paying them. Bandon Crossings is another option; very nice golf course.