Oregon Coast, Crater Lake to Camp Sherman

Old May 10th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oregon Coast, Crater Lake to Camp Sherman

I am planning a short trip for my parents flying into PDX mid-June and will have a few days to travel to Camp Sherman for my SIL's wedding. This is what I have come up with so far.

Day 1: Arrive PDX, drive to coast - Rockaway Beach or Cannon Bay or other suggestion.
Walk on beach, explore town, relax from flight.

Day 2: Drive to Yachats, Overleaf Inn.
Stop in Depoe Bay, Devil's Punchbowl, Yaquina Head lighthouse, Newport (aquarium, docks). Maybe a stop at the cheese factory in Tillamook for ice cream? - my dad really likes ice cream

Day 3: Drive to Steamboat Inn.
Stops: Cape Perpetua viewpoint, Strawberry Hill, Heceta Head Lighthouse (hike to beach then Hobbit's trail?), Dune Country Viewpoint.

Day 4: Drive to Crater Lake Lodge.
Hike to waterfall. Meet us at Crater Lake Lodge (driving from Camp Sherman with infant and 3 year old).

Day 5: Drive to Camp Sherman.
Drive Rim Road if open. Bend. Lava Butte/Tube.

My main gaps are: lodging the first night on the coast. The Overleaf, Steamboat and CLL are all a little pricey, but seem worth it. For the first night I would like something a little less expensive but in an idyllic setting and comfortable enough as it will be their first night - and their first view of the Pacific Coast.

Also, since my husband and I will be joining my parents along with my 3 year old (almost 4), I am looking for something enjoyable for her to do on the drive back to Camp Sherman - something in Bend? somewhere with animals? We will have an infant front carrier for the 5 month old and a backpack carrier that I think my 3 year old can still fit into (on my husband's back). Light hiking only.

If Rim Road is open (likely mid-June?), would it make sense to drive in from the Northwest entrance and go around Rim Road clockwise to the Lodge. The next morning, leave the lodge and continue on clockwise exiting through the Northwest entrance?

Any cell phone coverage leaving Steamboat Inn to Crater Lake? Also, once we leave Bend towards CL? I'm just thinking about how to meet up earlier than at CLL.
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:51 PM

I am your person to help with this one and will give you better details first thing in the morning. For the most part, you are on the right track and for sure stay at Steamboat Inn-the Van Loans are fabulous hosts.
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:01 AM

For that first night, your options will be limited since most places in Cannon Beach have 2-3 night minimums. That said, you are coming right when a lot of these go into effect, so your exact dates will probably play into this a bit. Cannon Beach is a beautiful town and would be my first choice to stay. Ecola Creek Lodge is one place that is reasonably priced and might not have the minimum stay requirement (depending on your dates). I have not stayed there, but the location is good and you can walk to the heart of downtown and the beach itself.

Just south of Bend, Lava Butte would be perfect for your kids. From Crater Lake, it is only about 90 minutes to there. You will need a NWForest Pass, that they will sell to you on the spot if you have not already bought one. We do the annual, but I think the day pass is $5. They will give you a time to drive to the top. If you have time before, park and go walk the trail through the lava beds. When you drive up to the top, be sure to bring bread. Chipmunks galore up there! Amazing views too.

Pretty much across the highway from there is the lava cave. We really like it, especially on a hot day. They will rent lanterns if you don't have one.

Another great place, that is a must see, is the High Desert Museum. It is on the same side of the highway as the lava cave and not far from it. Much of it is outside and there are loads of animals there.

Not far from Camp Sherman is the Wizard Falls Fish Hatchery. Kids can feed the fish there and there are picnic tables so you can bring lunch if you like.

We have AT&T and have cell coverage between CL and Bend, and around Camp Sherman.
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:17 AM

One comment about your plans, it is quite a bit of driving and there is not much to see between Cannon Beach and Lincoln City-a suggestion would be to go directly to Newport Beach and stay right on the ocean. Then you can go to the Aquariam for half the first day and work your way down to Florence. The fifty mile stretch here is so beautiful, if you have time, stop at Sea Lion Caves. From Florence or Reedsport, you can get to Roseburg, that will take you roughly 2.5 hours due to curvy roads. Steamboat Inn is 45 miles east of Roseburg, and as mentioned before, is an amazing place to stay as it is right on the Umpqua River. Famous for their dinner as well.

On your third day, it is only about one hour to Crater Lake from Steamboat Inn. June will be very doubtful the rim drive will be open and unless it warms up soon, the North Entrance may not be open. The Hwy 230 entrance is really nice as now you follow the Rogue for ten miles. Once you get to Crater Lake, be sure to have lunch at the Lodge, it really is not necessary to stay there, but enjoy the Lodge and scenary. It is really amazing. The drive to Bend is closer to two hours, and you can exit the Fort Klamath entrance to Hwy 97 and be right in the High Desert of Central Oregon.

Good suggestion about the High Desert Museum-plan on at least 1/2 the day here as there are really great exhibits and animal programs. Camp Sherman is about 45 minutes from the museum. Minor correction on the NW forest pass-Crater Lake is a National Park and requires a park pass that is valid for seven days. Also, good suggestion about Wizard Falls.

I was the director for Southern Oregon Tourism and worked for Diamond Lake Resort for a number of years. And currently live in Bend. You and your family are in for some amazing scenary. Crater Lake will still have plenty of snow, which makes for even more amazing photos.

Yes, I love Cannon Beach, however you will lose 1/2 a day seeing beautiful cows. And Tillamook ice cream is sold state wide-have fun. Please feel free to ask any more questions.
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:31 AM

I agree, if you take 101 from Cannon Beach south to Lincoln City, it isn't the most scenic route. You can take the Three Capes route for part of it though and that is beautiful!

I personally do not care for Sea Lion Caves. If you want to see the sea lions, you can do it for free (without the smell too) in Newport.

It will be touch and go as far as the north entrance to CL being open. Usually that is mid June, but the mountains have had some late snow, so I would keep checking the CL website and have a plan B.
Old May 11th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help!

The High Desert Museum, Lava Butte and lava cave sound perfect. Will there be time to do all three in one day?

Still undecided about coast - staying in Newport (to save time) or Cannon Bay (drive Three Capes). If staying in Newport, does it make sense to stay the next night in Yachats? I guess they could spend 1/2 day in Newport before heading out to Yachats. Also, they could take hwy 18 to the coast and do Devil's punchbowl and Yaquina Head the first day.

It seems like they will have extra time Day 4 at Steamboat, but it might be nice for some hikes and then relax at the lodge while waiting for us to arrive. Once the grandkids show up it won't matter where we are.
Old May 11th, 2010, 10:45 AM

Yes, you could do all three on the same day, but if pressed for time, skip the Lava Caves, cold and dark and scary for little kids, be sure to go to Lava Butte, and there are hiking trails and a road to the top for views. High Desert Museum is truly a 3-4 hour event because the Birds of Prey, Otter, Porcupine and Cat programs are staggered in time, and all are very good. Plus the time just walking in and outside is worth the time. Both Lave Butte and HDM are located within one mile of each other, so go to the museum early and if time permits, back one mile to Lava Butte.

Agree with the sea lion smell. however for people that have never been down the elevator to ocean level and heard the barking and all the action of the waves-pretty interesting.

Lastly, if you opt for Newport, then stay in Florence versus Yachats, and I love Yachats, but you can stop there en route.
If you don't mind a long day of driving, then start at Cannon Beach. Not much hiking at Steamboat Inn, but great place to take a breath before all your next adventures.

You will love Camp Sherman, it is a very special place. One more things, I did not catch your dates. If you come around June 11,12 & 13, the Sisters Rodeo is going on, and town of Sisters near Camp Sherman is pretty hectic. Great parade on June 12 if you are around.

I am planning a trip to Australia, and have found the local help incredible. Hope this helps you.
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:10 PM

Not far from Steamboat you should find some nice light hikes- there are a lot of waterfalls along that strip - several with short walks in.

Do you have a place to stay at Camp Sherman?
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:17 PM

Tokatee Falls is the one I was thinking about close to Steamboat
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Still may do Yachats because the Overleaf looks nice (but then again its just for the night).

I can't decide what not to do near Bend. Maybe we can do all 3, but may be we should do one without my parents on the drive down. My 3 year old may like the caves since she is fascinated by a headlamp she got for a scavenger hunt that glows red or white. She would think that was so cool to get to wear it in a cave!

Camp Sherman is wonderful. My in-laws have a cabin there and I have been there (from Kentucky) 5 times - twice in the summer and 3 times in the winter. I didn't know about the rodeo - we will miss the parade as we will be arriving on the 12th late in the day.

I love this forum for planning trips. Thanks for the wonderful advice. I really need to write up my trips afterwards though - I'm bad about doing that.
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:06 AM

The rodeo is also on Sunday at 1:00-if you have any interest in going, you will want to get tickets before you arrive as the last performance always sells out. Tickets are $12-20 and there is really not a bad seat anywhere. Lots of the top name guys and gals from all over the US come to this rodeo as there is lots of money to be won. Just be aware getting from Bend to Sisters on Saturday morning will be a mess, as is around noon to one as the rodeo grounds on on the main road into Sisters. That would be the time to stay at the museusm or caves. Also, be sure to have dinner at the Kokanee Cafe in Camp Sherman. Not a cafe, but a really nice restaurant owned by a great guy.
Old May 18th, 2010, 12:20 PM

About 5 miles before you get to Steamboat Inn is Fall Creek falls. A nice walk of about 1.2 miles round trip. Beautiful creek gushing down a chute. And the trail leads through a big cracked rock. My kids love it and we always take company there. I live in Glide, 20 miles from Steamboat Inn where my husband was Head Gardener and designed most of the landscaping a few years ago.