Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Oregon Coast (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/oregon-coast-767252/)

texan01 Feb 12th, 2009 05:45 PM

Oregon Coast

I'm an amateur landscape photographer and am interested in doing some shooting on the coast. I'm trying to determine the best time, May or September, to visit to enjoy the best weather (which I understand is always unpredictable) yet avoid the tourist crush. From what I understand, May can be cool and rainy still, but the flowers and waterfalls will be best. Is this true or will September also be good for the waterfalls as well? I'm planning on being there for about a week and travelng from around Tillamook to Bandon. Any suggestions for the best time as mentioned?

Fodorite018 Feb 12th, 2009 06:05 PM

May is definitely better for waterfalls, but yes, it will most likely be rainy too. Both May and Sept are not too bad as far as crowds, although Sept is still considered high season since it typically is nice weather. As long as you don't mind getting rained on, May is fine. The coast during a storm is actually really interesting, so that might sway you as well since it is more dramatic.

Andrew Feb 12th, 2009 06:22 PM

Don't know if you just want to shoot waterfalls...but Cannon Beach is worth adding to your itinerary if you can. Very iconic for Oregon. Haystack rock is one of the most photographed sites in Oregon.

And for waterfalls in general, it would be a shame not to take a spin through the Columbia River Gorge with all of its spectacular waterfalls (which should still be photogenic unless we have a drought this spring).

But yeah, you are rolling the dice with weather any time of the year at the Coast. Last September, I hit a fog bank in Bandon driving south and it didn't ever let up til I hit the Redwoods in California. Otherwise, September is generally considered better odds for good weather.

Fodorite018 Feb 12th, 2009 06:27 PM

Andrew listed some good places for waterfalls. Another favorite area for that is Silver Falls, just east of Salem. There are 10 waterfalls in a 7 mile hike. Very scenic, any time of year.

Andrew Feb 12th, 2009 06:30 PM

Oh, yes, Silver Falls is amazing. But, it does require more time investment than the Gorge, which is an easy side trip from Portland and doesn't require extensive hiking to be able to photograph many of the falls (I am guessing you might be flying into Portland? Just a guess - of course you didn't say that.).

Fodorite018 Feb 13th, 2009 07:03 AM

Andrew--True, to see all of them you need to hike. But it is such an easy hike that I don't think of it that way. But there are several places that you can drive and park near the falls, so unless one is wanting to see them all, there are still easy options.

Kal Feb 13th, 2009 07:07 AM

<i>TICK TICK TICK</i> C:)
&lt;she musta hit a free wine bar somewhere and is sleeping in&gt;.

beachbum Feb 13th, 2009 08:32 AM

Are we agreed on September? :-)

While I agree with everything suggested, I'm pitching for starting your coastal trip in Newport, then heading south. Central and south coast beaches are more isolated, with fewer visitors. Some of them have an almost mystical aura about them. I think you have a better chance of capturing those scenes that could make you consider changing your amateur status to something more. That, plus you could possibly squeeze in some redwoods and maybe even Crater Lake on the return to Portland.

How you'd do all that, and the Columbia River Gorge, and/or Silver Falls, in a week.... I haven't a clue.

Cue ***post*** for dining recs... ;-)

kimamom Feb 13th, 2009 08:44 AM

Hi, September is a gorgeous month on the coast. I agree with Andrew (he is a very skilled photographer) on Cannon Beach. Ecola State Park has some amazing photo ops, take the drive back to Indian Beach which is awesome. :)

In the Tillamook area, don't miss Cape Lookout State Park. Pacific City, Netarts and Oceanside also offer some very pretty places for scenery. Enjoy your time on the coast! ***kim*** ((#))

Scarlett Feb 13th, 2009 08:47 AM

The first time we were ever in Oregon (Portland) was September. After we moved there and lived there, I still preferred the months of August and September for exploring..
We went to the coast one weekend in September (Arch Cape) and it was quite chilly damp and very foggy- only photos that worked were close-ups.

I am going to post my photo of Haystack Rock, Cannon Beach on a &quot;sunny&quot; day ..
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...stack-rock.jpg

And the Coastline on a September afternoon along #101 going South to Manzanita
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...d2/caption.jpg

Scarlett Feb 13th, 2009 08:49 AM

Andrews website .... which is one of the first websites that I found in my research before we moved to Portland that really helped convince us to move West !
www.portlandbridges.com

texan01 Feb 13th, 2009 10:24 AM

Thanks so much for all the great information! It sounds as if I will need to plan on at least 10 days to do justice.

Andrew, I will be flying into and out of Portland so thought I might try to do a loop there and back.

It sounds as if September may be the best time. While I would like some dramatic weather shots, I hope not to be stuck in a fog bank for the whole time there!

Thanks again.

Kal Feb 13th, 2009 11:47 AM

PHEW!!!
I was worried!

b'bum...;)

bbqboy Feb 14th, 2009 02:50 PM

like clockwork :)

Scarlett Feb 14th, 2009 03:08 PM

kal... I don't think you ever need to worry .. as long as there is internet in that part of the world, etc... or a battery operated computer .. or ....

Kal Feb 16th, 2009 07:18 PM

And a Lexus that can travel at the speed of light so one can be in two diff places virtually at the same time????