Search

Oregon/California coast

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2020, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oregon/California coast

Hello,
My wife and I are considering a group tour trip which will travel the Oregon coast from Portland to Eureka. We are then going inland and back up to Portland. There will be a number of interesting stops along the way.

We are trying to establish the best 10 day tour period to select for the trip. Based on the weather,
would it be better to make the trip in late August or early September. I know that it will probably be warmer in August, but I have read that winds pick up in September and October. That would concern me.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jim
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 05:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have a list of the proposed overnight stops? Starting anytime in August should be fine. Turning off US 199 in Cave Junction to go to the Oregon Caves NM would be a good stop on the way back to Portland.
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 05:33 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
If you could tell us more about the tour's agenda we can be of more help. But I don't think there will be much difference between late August and early September, except that things might be a little quieter after the Labor Day weekend as many schools will be back in session.
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 09:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Please include a link to the tour, or at least tell us the name of the company/specific tour so we can look it over.

IMO/IME Sept is better on the coast for both crowd and weather reasons.
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
September is usually even nicer weather for Portland and the coast. Years ago we purposely planned our outdoor wedding for mid September and it turned out to be the 2nd hottest day of the summer, to give you an idea. After mid month, then it is anyones guess and the rains usually start by October.
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 10:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd choose September over August for chances of the nicest weather (i live in seattle, my family's in oregon).