ordering in a French restaurant?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once again I am calling on the sophisticated Fodors board members to help me with a problem.

My husband and I have been invited, by some dear friends, to have dinner with them at a VERY NICE French restaurant. This will be, by far, the nicest resaturant we have ever visited, and the menu prices(which I have studied on-line) shock me. Our friends will be covering the bill.

Here is my question:
How does one order menu items that are in French? The names of the entrees are in French on the menu, followed by a description in English. I remembered enough high school French to be able to figure out what's in the entrees, anyway, so that's really not a problem. But, when I order, do I give it my best high-school French try, with the fake French accent that Madame whatever her name was insisted we use? Or will I come off sounding like one of the Clampetts? It doesn't seem right to say the French words flatly, with an American accent, yet it also seems pretentious to attempt to speak French when I do not.

Please advise.
Thanks!
Vicki
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 06:56 AM

If you're more comfortable using the English, do that. It's not necessary to give the full description. So, for example if you're ordering steak and it's the only steak on the menu, say "I'll have the steak" rather than "I'll have the steak with peppercorns in a port wine sauce." Obviously if there's more than 1 steak option, describe which one you want.

Another thought, since you're being treated, follow what the hosts do in terms of how many courses they order. Ask if everyone's having a starter. One thing that's always touchy in these situations is specials. There are bound to be daily specials that the waiter may recite. They're often very good. They're also often (at least in NYC) very expensive and you're usually not told how much they are unless you ask. Try to discuss what everyone is having before the waiter comes for the order. If your friends have been to the rest. before, be sure to ask what they like/recommend.

Don't be intimidated. It's only food. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand what something is. Enjoy!
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Sorry. Someone has called to my attention the fact that I did not make it clear if I am in the U.S. or in France. I am in the U.S. This restaurant serves "French country" food -- not sure what that is, AND grows its own vegetables in the summer.

I think I'm leaning toward the "Tournedos Rossini a ma Facon" which is described as filet mignon, or "Entrecote Paysanne" which is the New York Strip.

I think I'll just go with what Mclaurie said...and just say "I'll have the filet mignon".

This is definitely going to be a meal to remember. Last time he took us out we had three bottles of wine with our meal, AND dessert. I was confused when the waiter handed me the dessert menu and mistakingly thought he was handing me the bill and turned away. Everyone got a laugh out of it. I told him "sorry...where I usually eat, the dessert menu is propped between the ketchup and the napkin holder." Our host is a very dear friend and we feel very comfortable with him. He's just a very generous person.

Vicki
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 09:08 AM

I assumed you were in the US since you posted on the US board. Country French is not as fancy. They generally have more things like stews. Curious what city this is Vicki. Searching on the web, I find that dish listed at a restaurant in Md. here
http://www.zagat.com/verticals/Menu....&HID=500003706

If that's the one, the Tournedos dish is the most expensive on the menu (by a fair amount) and I wouldn't order it unless one of your hosts orders it first. I also notice there's a prix fixe dinner for $35, about the same price as that entree. You should wait to see what your hosts order.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 09:13 AM

While I think you've already pretty well sorted the problem out, let me say that whether in France or the US and there is a language barrier in ordering, a simple raise of the menu, a smile to the waiter indicating "sorry my French is not so good" and then a finger point at the item you want is not a bad solution.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 09:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Be your sweet sellf, order what appeals to you. Your host expects that. Bon Appetit.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:16 PM

I think the days of super snobby service (of the type that would look down on you if you pronounce the entree wrong) are over. Even in Paris at good restaurants the waiters are very patient as I butcher their language ordering my dinner. So I wouldn't worry about it in the US, even in a very nice place-either using English or trying the French will be fine.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A couteous host will solve the guest's fear of over-ordering with simple cues. He could recommend a few dishes (which then gives the acceptable price range to the guest) or say something like "I'm thinking of having the lobster with truffled caviar" thereby signalling that the sky's the limit.

If the host hasn't done this, a simple question such as "I'm not sure if I will like the ..." will get you a hint.

As for language, use your own and no one will bat an eye.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 06:04 PM
J62

It might help Vicki if we also discuss drinks here, as wine will likely cost more than any single dish on the menu. Prices on wine bottles can range from the $30-40 range (for bottles that go for $10-15 retail, and on up to $100 or $150 is not uncommon.

I'm making an assumption that your hosts and you will all enjoy a glass of wine. That may or may not be the case, but let's go with that for now.

Most common is that wine will be sold by the bottle, with a very limited choices of wines by the glass. In this case I strongly recommend you follow the cue of your host. The server may ask you when you are seated if you would like a drink. If your host orders or offers a cocktail, then by all means get what you wish. In most cases this means something besides wine, but could include a beer if you are so inclined. Yes, you may order a glass of wine, but if your host is getting a bottle then you may wish to defer ordering a glass.

Your host may order a bottle of wine for the whole table. If you have a strong preference for white over red feel free to state a preference. For dinner at a place as you describe a red wine will likely be recommended, but it may depend on what everyone orders. If your host asks what you prefer and you don't care, turn it around and ask them what they recommend.

I'm thinking of the filet, what would you recommend with that, etc.

Either way, relax and enjoy the dinner. Dear friends won't care, and as stated above neither will the service.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 06:07 PM

When we dine at a French restaurant, we use it as an opportunity to practice French, and are comfortable doing so.

You should order in the language that you are comfortable with.

Woody
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 06:27 PM

Yes, it is pretentious (even ill-advised) to speak French when you do not. Speak English--the waiter will understand.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 07:59 PM

You have time to learn rudimentary words. Get started, and don't the Fodors non-speakers dissuade you. The waiter will respect your effort. And you will, perhaps, have begun a new way forward.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 08:52 PM

You can always pay hour kind hosts the compliment of asking them to suggest items for you, or even of ordering for you.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 09:23 PM

I would recommend ordering in English.

And, if you point, pay careful attention when they repeat your selection back to you! My husband always just nods. But, often they've brought him a fish fork and knife after he swears he pointed to steak.

It's also important to pay attention to the entire description (and sometimes they are not quite complete). Here is the USA, the translations will be accurate, but in France...

For example, "Tournedos Rossini a ma Facon". Facon refers to a style of preparation, and Rossini usually means with a reduction sauce (typically flavored with a wine such as Madeira) and served with foie gras and/or truffles. So, if a slab of goose/duck liver atop your filet would not be appealing to you...

Ask whatever questions you need to ask. No one will mind.

If your friends drink wine and patronize this restaurant regularly, they will know which wine(s) to order or acquire assistance.

Your hosts will not likely care what you order or pay attention to the prices. In my observation, people who enjoy and can afford fine dining select offerings they find most appealing, and don't quibble over price differences of choices (and would not order something because it is a few dollars less than what they really want to have).

I've also learned to glance over the menu, but not study it too carefully until I've heard the specials, if they have them. Often the specials are more appealing than the menu, sometimes not. It doesn't bother me a bit to ask them to repeat them or ask the prices.

Whenever choosing gets overwhelming, I select whichever main ingredient(s) I'm in the mood for (steak, salmon, chicken, whatever) assuming the preparation is appealing.

Note also that many French chefs "design" the plate for color, etc. Sometimes the accompaniments are noted, sometimes not. If they are, don't be shy about mixing and matching. If you note they offer asparagus and mashed potatoes with the steak and that's what you'd prefer with your veal, rather than zuccini and cous cous, or whatever - ask. There was a time when the staff (because of the Chef) was fussy about this, but not any more. On the other hand, those Chefs know what they're doing and go to great effort to combine the most pleasing ingredients.

For that matter, viewing the menu online gives you a chance to study it - BUT, most restaurants do not keep their online menus up to date and you could be presented with something entirely different when you arrive. I've learned, if I'm visiting a restaurant for a particular dish I've seen on the online menu to ask when I reserve if it's still on the menu.

The important thing is to relax, not take the experience too seriously, and enjoy yourself.

Old Dec 24th, 2006, 04:05 AM

All depends on theperson taking the order. If he or she is french it will certainly be appreciated to try to order in their language. On the other side, a restaurant is a comercial business and the customer is king(or should be)so they should be able to speak your language. Greetings from Belgium. Bon appetit .Paul
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies.
Yes McLaurie, you've got the right place -- doesn't it look grand?

How is foie gras pronounced?
foy-GRAH?
I certainly don't want any of THAT.

Our guest list is growing -- there will be 12 adults and, believe it or not, FIVE small children! We will be in our own dining room, thankfully. I can't believe the children will be there, but it wasn't my call, of course.

Our host is definitely a wine drinker, and he took us out several months ago, and our table consumed three bottles of wine. He's so funny...he puts on his spectacles and peers at the wine list and says "oh jeez...I don't know...I'm never any good at this..." Then, ordered a wonderful wine.

Vicki
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Jed

Many years ago we went to a fancy French restaurant with another couple. At that time, the menu was in French with no translation. The husband asked "what is xxxxxx?" The waiter bent down and quietly said, "hamburger".

Menus have come a long way since, but if we don't understand what it is (which happens), we still ask.
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 06:49 AM

Vicki, I only saw the menu on that website, but it does look absolutely wonderful. The tournedos dish you were interested in has foie gras mashed potatoes with truffle sauce. I'd suggest you try it. It's pronounced FWAH-grah.

Since you're eating in a private room, it's possible they've already arranged a menu for you, so wait and see. Hope you have a great time and report back to us (so we can drool) on what you ate and drank.
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 09:30 AM

There are a number of websites (but I recommend Rick Steves Fench phrase book) for information on ordering meals in French.

You don't have to learn much, but it may make you more comfortable. If the menus are also in English, I don't think you have to worry at all, most of the people will be ordering in English, I am sure!
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 06:50 PM
mdn

& don't forget the cardinal rule - even if your host is taking you to a superior restaurant which serves wonderful food, you're on the invite list because of your personality & what you mean to the host. So, while you can take a few minutes to peruse the menu & figure out a couple of things you may want, you're probably best being yourself & spending your time being social around the table (esp. since you'll have such a big group)!
Also, keep in mind that some places still have snobby service but it rarely is a reflection of your own competence or lack thereof. The best hosts / servers are the ones who make you feel at ease and make you comfortable. Pretty clear that excitement is high, you've taken the trouble to study the menu etc. Now just think of how you'll be your wonderful self & keep others around the table entertained. All the best!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -