Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Orchid Show -- Rockefeller Center (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/orchid-show-rockefeller-center-608905/)

michelleNYC Apr 19th, 2006 08:56 AM

Orchid Show -- Rockefeller Center

FYI -- the annual Orchid Show at Rockefeller Center will be taking place April 20-22. I was just downstairs and they're setting it up -- looks fantastic!

michelleNYC Apr 19th, 2006 08:58 AM

Apologies! It's the April 20-23 (not 22). See http://www.gnyos.org/NYIOS/nyios.htm for more info.

michelleNYC Apr 20th, 2006 09:11 AM

ttt for cindy -- have fun!! Buy me an orchid!!

seetheworld Apr 20th, 2006 11:53 AM

Oh Michelle!!! I am so excited to find out about this show!!! :D

I wonder how much the vendors are selling their orchids for? I just bought a few plants at the NY Botanical Gardens and broke the bank :>

lcuy Apr 20th, 2006 12:18 PM

I was there last night while everyone was finishing the set up. We had a wonderful time browing the vendors tables, but of course couldn't buy anything.

Went back today. It was fabulous, but soooo crowded. Prices vary widely from booth to booth, but I found some amazing ones at good prices. Now I'm hoping I can carry them back home safely!

seetheworld Apr 20th, 2006 12:31 PM

lcuy, last year I found great buys at Shelby Gardens in Florida. Thankfully I resisted and only purchased one plant, because the TSA made me put it through the belt scanner!! Sadly, the stress was too much for the poor Lady Slipper. :(

Good luck with bringing your plants home!! My orchids are like babies to me -- love each one of them. :D

michelleNYC Apr 20th, 2006 12:32 PM

I saw some vendors by the Sea Grill that were selling them for $14 I believe. Correct?

seetheworld Apr 20th, 2006 12:36 PM

:D $14 bucks??? Wow -- that would be a great bargain!!!

michelleNYC Apr 20th, 2006 12:39 PM

Lcuy -- can you confirm?

wantsomesun Apr 20th, 2006 01:08 PM

You'd get better prices on 6th Ave in the flower district or in the Bronx at the flower market in Hunts Point.

lcuy Apr 20th, 2006 01:53 PM

Sorry, I haven't a clue which stores were nearby or even the names of the vendors! last night the stores were closed and today it was push push push to see and pay!

I got a fabulous big yellow flowered cattleya in a six inch pot (not flowering now) for $10, and he had a bunch of 2' plants at 6 (mix & match)for $25. Also found bunches of really unusual cultivars from a columbian vendor for $18.

Another vendor on the corner where big bunches of Spanish moss were hung also had some really nice flowering selections in the under $20 range.

Malesherbes Apr 20th, 2006 01:56 PM

Selby Gardens has some wonderful wonderful orchids for anyone going to/in Sarasota. The gardens are open year round and the shop always has too many temptations for sale at any one time--it would take me forever to decide! I started buying from them years ago and sadly had to leave most behind when we moved, and in FL, anyway, they always came back the next year...or most did. Not much luck with lady slippers, seetheworld. :(

They are so reasonable in FL, where there are so many growers, compared to this area, where the vendors want your eye teeth and more for the "common" Phalaenopsis which has usually already received much too much water and is on its last legs, with all blooms already open.

I would <u>love</u> to see the NY show--those prices are unreal. Can only imagine the treasures to be had..if one could get them home without TSA mashing them!

seetheworld Apr 20th, 2006 02:13 PM

Thanks for mentioning the Shelby Garden location, Malesherbes! I'm staying away from Lady Slippers, they're very tempermental.

I'd be happy paying $25 for just ONE orchid plant. Although I have to say, that that quality at the NY Botanical Gardens is wonderful -- but you do pay for the pleasure! But on &quot;members day&quot; you get a 20% discount -- hoards of people and a &quot;dog-eat-dog&quot; environment. Orchid people are pretty passionate and wild, LOL! :D

seetheworld Apr 20th, 2006 02:14 PM

...oh, and thanks for spelling &quot;Selby&quot; correctly! ;)