Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Orchid or Hapuna Prince - Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/orchid-or-hapuna-prince-help-259796/)

Suzanne Sep 20th, 2002 07:16 PM

Orchid or Hapuna Prince - Help

Please help me decide. I have it down to the<BR>two hotels above. My priorities are : beautiful relaxing grounds, a wonderful pool,<BR>good service, nice beach. The pool is esecially important to my young son. Which<BR>would you advise ? Thanks.

xx Sep 21st, 2002 06:56 AM

Suzanne,<BR><BR>Let's see, for your priorities, I would give grounds, pool and service to the Orchid, but - no contest - beach to Hapuna. The feel of the Orchid is luxury, whereas the Hapuna has a more institutional feel; there is something cold about it. It just depends on where beach ranks on your priority list. <BR><BR>One other consideration is that there has been construction by the Orchid, particularly by the beach. Directly behind the beach, (so much so that they had to put up a wall leaving just 50 feet or so of sand at the swimming area) is a construction site, with heavy equipment. That would severly impact any beach time. Although there are chairs along the ocean throughout the property, these spots are rocky, not sandy or swimmable, shore.<BR><BR>Now the X factor I would add is where is it more likely that there would be other children for your young son. That, I suspect, would be Hapuna. <BR>

natalie Sep 21st, 2002 11:13 AM

Stayed at both. I preferred the Orchid because of the lea greeting, customer service, and loved watching the turtles along the shore line. As the above poster said, the beach is much better at the Hapuna but I think that's about it. The Orchid had the covered canopy lawn chairs and the scenery is better. Also depending on which month you're visiting the Orchid has lovely whale viewing not too far from shore. Pool wise I think they're both the same. Hope this helps = )

Suzanne Sep 22nd, 2002 08:17 AM

Thank you both for your replies. Great help! I won't ge going until May - so<BR>I will see if the contruction at the Orchid will be done. Is the beach at<BR>the Orchid not swimmable at all ? If so<BR>the pictures are very deceiving. Can anyone tell me about the pools at each hotel ??<BR><BR>Thanks again.

natalie Sep 22nd, 2002 09:41 AM

There are cut out smaller manmade ocean waters that we enjoyed during our stay. We didn't venture out past that so I can't really comment. I think the pools are both about the same size but again I think the scenery from the pool looking towards the ocean is better at the Orchid. There are lots of tall trees not far from the pool at the Hapuna making it a more clouded view of the ocean.

Suzanne Sep 23rd, 2002 10:13 AM

One last thing ... The Four Seasons is<BR>so much more money .. does the Orchid<BR>even compare at all ?? Should I spend<BR>the extra for the FS ?? Just how much<BR>nicer is it ? <BR><BR>Thanks

natalie Sep 23rd, 2002 11:31 AM

Hmm... that's a hard ?. Out of the BI resorts I liked the FS and the Orchid the best. No, I think you should stick with the Orchid, of course it's your choice. I think the atmosphere will be better for your son at the Orchid. FS rooms are better but it is more of a couple/honeymoon resort and dining is really expensive. Breakfast french toast is excellent if you feel like visiting 4S. I think the Orchid's scenery is better but there's more turtles at the 4S. If you're trying to save a little $ I think you'll be just as happy with the Orchid - it's really quite beautiful & you get great Aveda shower aromatherapy products.

Suzanne Sep 23rd, 2002 04:03 PM

Natalie,<BR>Thanks so much for your replies. You have been a terrific help and I will<BR>go with the Orchid. Now I feel much better about my choice.<BR><BR>

MAr Oct 2nd, 2002 11:41 AM

We took our two little ones to the Orchid for one of the best ever family vacations. Very kid friendly place. Often in the morning I'd take the kids to breakfast (buffet) and leave Dad sleeping in the room. While I'd get the food, I'd have to leave the kids (4 and 6 years) at the table though I could see them. Almost every day staff folks would come over voluntarily and keep the kids entertained. One morning they brought coloring materials, another guy started juggling fruit, it was just great! The kids' beach is full of sand toys that everyone shares and there is a sand bottom jacuzzi that my kids thought to be Heaven! they beg to go back!