Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Orange County Beach Lodging (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/orange-county-beach-lodging-880760/)

run Mar 6th, 2011 03:16 PM

Orange County Beach Lodging

My family is planning a June trip to the Orange County area and want to stay on the beach. I need some help in knowing the correct beach and hotel. We also want to do Disney and some other LA things. Help?

paula1470 Mar 6th, 2011 03:38 PM

Laguna Beach would be my first suggestion. It would help if we knew your budget and what other LA things you want to do. Laguna is fine for visiting Disneyland but you'd spend an awful lot of time in your car driving to Los Angeles.

One thing to remember is that in June, we have what is called "June Gloom". A marine layer settles on the beach area and can often last all day. While the beach can be foggy and cold, it can be warm and sunny a few miles inland. Some years June gloom really does last all month, other years it's not so bad. Just wanted to let you know as June is not usually the best time for laying out at the beach. The water is still very cold so also not the best time for swimming. Don't know how long your trip is but you might want to consider staying in two locations. I am not usaully one who likes the idea of changing hotels but with the possibility of gloomy weather and the fact that you want to do things in LA, it might work best for you. Let us know your plans.

SOCALOC Mar 7th, 2011 08:16 AM

If you are planning on visiting Disneyland AND want to stay at the beach I would look into Newport Beach or even Huntington Beach. Freeway access is much more convenient and you'll be closer to DL. Do try and visit Laguna Beach, though.
And agree if you are planning on doing the major sights in LA you won't want to be driving back and forth from OC.
How long will you be in the area?

run Mar 7th, 2011 10:03 AM

We will be in the area for 6 days before moving up the coast. Any resort come to mind? Should we spend a few days and move closer to LA?

paula1470 Mar 7th, 2011 10:09 AM

I agree with Socaloc that Huntington or Newport have much better freeway access to Disneyland. Again, what exactly do you want to see besides Disneyland? That will give us an idea of how to help you.

Do you want a resort or just a hotel and what is your budget?

kimamom Mar 7th, 2011 11:00 AM

We love Laguna Beach. The Hotel Laguna is oceanfront and walking distance to shops and restaurants. You have your own private area of beach at Hotel Laguna with lounge chairs and food and beverage service. ***kim*** ((#))

FrankS Mar 7th, 2011 11:13 AM

Laguna is a great choice. Dont sweat the traffic to Disney, because you will be in the carpool blowing by all the commuters on weekdays.

Hotel Laguna is run down (imo) The Inn @Laguna Beach on the other side of Main Beach from the Hotel Laguna is a better choice
http://www.innatlagunabeach.com/

paula1470 Mar 7th, 2011 11:22 AM

Frank-It's not the traffic on the freeway that's the issue with staying in Laguna Beach, it's the access to the freeway as we mentioned. It can take quite awhile to get in and out of Laguna while especially with Newport there is quick access to the freeway. However the downside of Newport is that hotels aren't directly on the beach. So it depends on what the OP is looking for.

FrankS Mar 7th, 2011 11:35 AM

Paula
Laguna Canyon Rd to the toll road to 55 to 5 and Disney
Laguna Canyon-Laguna Freeway to 5 then to Disney
PCH to Newport Center to Toll Road

Not bad options vs fighting traffic and a zillion lights up Newport Blvd or the Back Bay

joesorce Mar 7th, 2011 11:37 AM

www.lagunariviera.com

paula1470 Mar 7th, 2011 12:29 PM

Frank-I know the routes in and out of Laguna. I have been on Laguna Canyon Rd many times where I crawled the whole way. PCH to Newport Center is probably a quicker route but PCH can be bad also although depending on what part of June they are coming, it might not be so bad. Laguna Beach traffic is a nightmare in the summer but unfortunately I have to go there for business.

I do agree that Newport Blvd can be bad but I usually have pretty good luck on that road hitting the lights just right. I wouldn't really recommend Newport because of the beach situation but it's still a shorter drive to Disneyland.

run Mar 7th, 2011 12:34 PM

i didn't mean to start an argument. Someone told my wife that we should stay in Santa Monica.

FrankS Mar 7th, 2011 01:21 PM

run,
I didnt take it as an argument as I know traffic is an emotional topic in CA for those who have to be at work @ 8am. SoCA freeways are actually very nice if you miss the Mon morn or Fri night rush hour.

In case Im wrong, Mickey wont fire you if you are 10 minutes late.

taitai Mar 7th, 2011 03:58 PM

We just spent a week escaping the Minnesota winter in Orange County. We LOVED the Montage in Laguna Beach. A great beach right in front of the hotel. We also really enjoyed Salt Creek Park Beach. Great atmosphere and tons of fun.

For Disney, we stayed at the Residence Inn. The Ramada is closer but we got a deal on a HUGE room (two stories, two bedrooms, two baths, kitchen, etc.). We could walk from the Residence Inn which was nice. We had a GREAT time at Disney.

SOCALOC Mar 7th, 2011 04:39 PM

***SoCA freeways are actually very nice if you miss the Mon morn or Fri night rush hour.***

You just lost any credibility. ;)

Franks- I could swear you recently said to avoid driving Laguna Canyon because you've been 'burned' but you're pushing someone to 'base' in Laguna Beach for Disneyland???

run, Do your 6 days include LA? Maybe do 2 night LAGUNA BEACH, 1 DISNEYLAND, 2 LA AREA.

Give us an idea on your priorities for your trip. If it's beach- then by all means stay in Laguna.

And staying in Santa Monica is great but I wouldn't use it as a base to head to Disneyland.

paula1470 Mar 7th, 2011 05:54 PM

Hey Socaloc-we're going to agree on something. LOL Run, staying in Santa Monica is not the best base for Disneyland. LA traffic can be a little better when it's not rush hour and you can use the carpool lane but getting from Santa Monica to Anaheim is not usually a pleasant or quick trip unless it's late at night.

I had asked earlier what you wanted to see in LA but hadn't heard back yet. You could do Socal's suggestion of Laguna, Anaheim and LA but that's a lot of moving for 6 days. If you are interested in seeing sights in LA, then stay in Santa Monica for a few days and then Anaheim for a few days. You will be by the beach in Santa Monica but it's not quite the same as staying on the beach in Laguna.

If instead you want to relax at the beach, you could stay in Laguna and deal with the traffic to Anaheim (it's not that bad and better than driving from Santa Monica). Then move closer to LA for those days of sightseeing. I would avoid Laguna Canyon getting to Disneyland but Frank's alternate route of PCH to Newport Coast to the 73 Freeway is a better route.

I think it all boils down to what you want to do those days that you aren't visiting Disneyland.

logandog Mar 7th, 2011 08:07 PM

I think that Laguna Beach is a world class travel destination.
There is only one Disneyland.
I have never visited Disney in Orlando. It is on my bucket list.
Enjoy Laguna for its lovely flow between mountains and sea.
Disneyland advice, go as early as you can. You will own the park until about eleven AM. But you have gathered your Fastpass tickets and can relax.

mjs Mar 7th, 2011 09:48 PM

The Ritz Carlton at Dana Point is close to the beach and near the freeway. It is however not very close to LA and probably 30 minutes+ to Disney. Does make a trip to San diego easier.

deedeedee Mar 7th, 2011 09:58 PM

If you decide to stay in Laguna Beach (which I think you should) check out the Surf & Sand Hotel. Right on the beach w/pool & restaurants. Great for taking walks on the beach and swimming in the ocean etc. I think they have just remodeled the rooms. Some of the rooms are right on the water. I would call the hotel direct for the best rates. Good Luck

FrankS Mar 8th, 2011 03:47 AM

SoCal,
I believe I told a visitor in Jan/February to avoid the Canyon during rains because of flooding, this traveler is in Laguna for June. Ever since the widened the 5, the Laguna-Disney route has been a breeze just take the 133 to the 5

*Just a note, one day if someone is traveling during the 1st few weeks of school, I will tell them to avoid the canyon too

**I like the Surf and Sand & Ritz ideas if budget permits