Opinions wanted on proposed itinerary

Feb 28th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Opinions wanted on proposed itinerary

After a lot of research, I have come up with an itinerary for our "August 2006 Alaska Trip of Lifetime".

Day 1: arrive Anchorage (overnight Captian Cook)

Day 2: dep Anchorage 6:30 to Barrow 9:30 (cross Arctic Circle spend night in Barrow)

Day 3: dep Barrow 10:00 arrive Anchorage 1:30 depart for Redoubt Bay at 5PM (overnight Redoubt Bay)

Day 4: Redoubt Bay -- fishing and bearviewing (overnight Redoubt Bay)

Day 5: Redoubt Bay -- fishing and bearviewing dep @ 5PM for Anchorage (overnight Captian Cook)

Day 6: dep Anchorage 8:30 arrive Kennicott Glacier 11:00 via Wrangell Air --tour of Kennicott (overnight Kennicott Glacier Lodge)

Day 7: Kennicott Glacier -- full day Root Glacier tour(overnight Kennicott Glacier Lodge)

Day 8: dep Kennicott Glacier 11:00 arrive Anchorage 2:00 via Wrangell Air (overnight Captian Cook)

Day 9: dep Anc 7AM arrive Denali 12:30 via Denali Express on Alaska Coach -- Nenana Gorge Rafting (2PM or 6PM for 4 hrs) (overnight Denali River Cabins)

Day 10: Visit dogs at Denali then travel in to Katisha 1:30 - 8:00 (overnight Kantisha Roadhouse)

Day 11: Denali - fishing/hiking/biking (overnight Kantisha Roadhouse)

Day 12: dep Kanantisha 6:45 arrive Denali 11:30 depart Denali 12:15 arrive Anchorage 8:00 pm via Alaska Rail (overnight Captian Cook)

Day 13: dep Anc 6:45 arrive Seward 11:05 via Alaska Rail then to Gibson Glacier Dog Sledding (overnight on glacier)

Day 14: return to Seward in the AM then head to Fox Island for lunch (overnight Fox Island)

Day 15: Full Day Sea Kayak Tour (overnight Fox Island)

Day 16: Full day NW Fjord Cruise (overnight Seward Windsong Lodge)

Day 17: dep Seward 10:45 return to Anc. 1:30 via Alaska Coach and catch red eye home

It is probably pretty aggresive and certainly very action packed but my husband and I very much enjoy that sort of thing. I know I have a lot of in and out of Anchorage but it seems like the various places we want to get in and out of only have transportation in and out of Anchorage. We do plan on taking advantage of the time there to visit and sightsee there too. We did not want to rent a car -- it always ends up with hubby driving and me sleeping (I can't help myself!).

Your coments are welcomed -- tell me where I have screwed up...

Thanks!
Feb 28th, 2006, 05:31 PM

We spent 3 weeks in Alaska a few years ago. Here is my two cents:

It is cloudy A LOT during Alaskan summers. In 3 weeks we saw Denali in the distance 2 different days. Once on the flight in to Anchorage, and once from Fairbanks.

Fishing is not good in and around Denali. Take the bus ride into the park. Reservations should be made at least one day in advance. I took a plane ride to and around Mt. Denali.

We really enjoyed the Eskimo Olympics in Fairbanks. I asked the elder Eskimo woman if the walrus penis she was selling (yes, it is a bone) really brought good luck. She whispered, no, but the tourists believe it does.

We rented a car in Anchorage, drove north to Palmer, east to Glennalien, and south to Valdez. It took 1 whole day. We agreed with the Milepost magazine that Thompson Pass, north of Valdez, was one of the most beautiful places in all of Alaska. About 20 miles before Valdez, you will pass through Keystone Canyon, with spectacular waterfalls. In the winter, crazies ice climb here. We fell in love with Valdez. We witnessed “combat fishing” which was literally elbow-to-elbow fishing.

Our favorite day was kayaking in Prince William Sound.

Between Anchorage and Seward are 2-mile hikes were you can see salmon swimming upstream. Not to be missed. Also between A and S is Exit Glacier, where you can walk less than a ˝ mile hike to be within inches of an active glacier. My boys still remember the soccer ball someone had kicked or thrown on the Glacier.

We didn’t do this, but Travel Channel did a spot on most interesting US campgrounds. Brooks Camp in Katmai National Park was featured, which has an electric fence around it due to the high concentration of bears. It is about 300 air miles SW of Anchorage in the Alaska Peninsula, across from Kodiak Island. Bear viewing at Brooks Camp is best in July and September, and this area claims to be one of the best places in the world to see grizzlies. If I ever get back to Alaska, I will go to Katmai.

http://www.terragalleria.com/parks/n....katmai.5.html
Mar 1st, 2006, 04:41 AM

What are you doing in Barrow. I suggest you hook up with a local and really see the area. I find the tours- just about "fake" in my experience, just a thought??

And certainly correct, forget fishing at the Denali Park area.
Mar 1st, 2006, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Okay, we'll forget about the Denali fishing. Plenty of other stuff to see/do.

BudgetQueen -- any recommendations for Barrow? I guess we could fly up on our own and hook up with a local to guide us? How would we find such a person?
Mar 7th, 2006, 08:34 PM

I would also like to know of any local Barrow guides who could take us up to Point Barrow in June to look for polar bears...also what else a local guide can offer....???
Sue

Search this Thread