April New Orleans visit

Search

April New Orleans visit

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
April New Orleans visit

I am thinking about another visit, but certainly am concerned about the state of New Orleans. Are there enough "tourist" areas open? I see Snug Harbor is open, what about Bourbon St. ?? Enough to do for a week??
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 06:14 AM

Everything a tourist is likely to visit is open: Bourbon St., French Quarter hotels, restaurants & bars, and the Garden District/Uptown. The St. Charles Ave. streetcar is still down. Enjoy yourself but try to get a cab to drive you to the Lakefront and other areas that were flooded. See for yourself, then inform your local congressional representative & senators that much still needs to be done to help the Gulf Coast communities.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 09:01 AM

I wouldn't hesitate to go. The city worked hard to open as much up as possible for Mardi Gras. And then the French Quarter Festival is in April, so there should be plenty going on.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 09:27 AM

My son and his wife just returned and said they had a very good time. Not everything is quite up to par, but pretty close. The main issue they encountered was the fact the many tours that previously you just needed to show up for, you now had to book in advance - not because the tours were full, but rather for just the opposite reason. Because labor (ie tour guides, tour bus drivers) is in short supply tours do not run unless visitors have signed up to take them. He told me their tour guide mentioned that he was constantly shifting duties depending on which tours were being booked because there were simply not enough guides to cover all the normal tours, so those tours that that no one was signing up for were simply not being conducted.

Ken
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 07:30 PM

BudgetQueen, come on down! I will personally check out any area, lodging, etc., you are interested in . . . just let me know what it is. Most of uptown and the FQ are pretty much back in full swing, with more opening each day. What are your interests in N.O.? Also, check out nola.com for the latest information on businesses opening, etc.

So nice to see an Alaska expert on the Louisiana board! ;-)

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the information. I mainly am interested in the music venues and I see that Snug Harbor has a full schedule, so definately will consider it.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:45 AM
Dan

BQ, you will find that most atrractions, hotels and restaurants are reasonably normal again. A week may be a bit long since the outlying neighborhoods still aren't in any condition to be receiving guests. The NO Museum of Art at City Park, for instance, is just reopening now--six months after Katrina.

I was in the Quarter and Faubourg Marigny for most of the Mardi Gras week and it was easily the best ever! Crowds were the same as always on Saturday and Tuesday and the weather was spectacular. Crime is WAAAAY down too, which is an added plus.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 06:35 PM

I say go. Show your support for this great city. If there was ever a time to support New Orleans...it is now.