Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Opinions on Anne Marie Island/Long Boat Key and Marco Island

Old Apr 16th, 2000, 03:23 PM
Sarah

Opinions and recommendations on these locations will be much appreciated - planning to visit December/January. Which is best?
Many thanks.

Old Apr 16th, 2000, 03:54 PM
Diane

We've visited all three, but never stayed there (lucky to have both sets of our parents in the vicinity). I like Anne Marie Island a lot, it seems much more friendly and less of a totally planned community. Long Boat Key seemed much more elegant and formal, but it is very lovely. If I recall correctly, it is much larger than Anne Maria. There are probably more large condo/type accomodations on Long Boat Key. Anne Maria will have small hotels and smaller vacation homes (although there are also some beautiful full-time neighborhoods there). Marco Island is "newer" and perhaps not as lushly landscaped as the others. All three are very nice, and offer plenty of restaurants, etc. for when you aren't in total beach-mode. One advantage of Long Boat Key, is that you can easily visit Siesta Key (check out Siesta Beach with its powdered-sugar-like sand), Bird Key (millionaires' homes w/yachts), and you are near to St Armand's Circle, which is a lovely shopping, eating and people-watching area.

Old Apr 16th, 2000, 04:19 PM
cmcdaniel

Sarah...I can't comment on Marco, but can on Anna Maria and Longboat Key. The two are practically next-door-neighbors, but otherwise are 180 degrees apart and your hopes and expectations for an area would govern your choice between the two.

Longboat Key is groomed, elegant, large condos lining the shoreline, all beautifully landscaped with shopping tucked discreetly away. Wear your nice clothes and who has the nicest Rolex?

Anna Maria Island is laid back, shoes off comfortable. It is cottages lining the beach--some lovely, some really old and a little tired on the outside, but perhaps charming too. (I live in the area so don't spend the night and really can't comment on accommodations). It's a wear your comfy clothes and your Timex running watch kind of place.

I've never been to Marco, but from what I hear it is somewhere between the two, perhaps a bit closer to Longboat in style.

Anna Maria is old Florida. There aren't many places left like it and this one is rapidly changing too, with cottages being sold, torn down, and being replaced by huge elegant homes. I love Anna Maria, but those who want glitz and glitter wouldn't be happy. They'd prefer Longboat.

Old Apr 16th, 2000, 09:11 PM
Joe

Try Captiva Island. Tween Waters Inn or South Seas Resort -very laid back and pretty. Also are other accomodations, Sunset Captiva, good restaurants.

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 01:54 PM
SARAH

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR TAKING TROUBLE TO HELP WITH MY QUESTION