Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Opinions of The Brown Palace - Denver (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/opinions-of-the-brown-palace-denver-494326/)

Cats_Do_Dance Jan 10th, 2005 02:58 PM

Opinions of The Brown Palace - Denver

After five long years, my family has decided to return to Estes Park this summer. The last time we went in 1999, we stayed at The Stanley for two nights before heading to the little cabin community we always stay at in Estes. This year, however, my husband decided we should fly into Denver and spend a night at the Brown Palace before moving on. The reviews on the Brown Palace sound wonderful and sounds like my kind of place. But I must know what the word is from the folks on Fodors so any up-to-date reviews on the Brown Palace are most welcomed!

Patrick Jan 10th, 2005 03:10 PM

I had eaten at the Brown Palace but never stayed there until two years ago, when traveling with friends we stayed there for two nights.
It was indeed a beautiful hotel, but here's where I'll be picky. I was expecting this wonderful old Victorian Hotel with tons of atmosphere. The room was indeed beautifully furnished and equipped, but it could have been a nice Hyatt or Four Seasons, or anything anywhere else. Maybe they still have some "traditional" rooms, but what a disappointment to me.

Intrepid1 Jan 10th, 2005 04:35 PM

"The Brown" is about the lobby these days, IMO, and not much else.

amwosu Jan 10th, 2005 04:56 PM

I haven't stayed at the Brown but have eaten there. I wanted to be impressed but I agree that it is all about the old lobby.

I didn't want to pay the high price to stay at the Bron so I stayed at The Oxford, built by the same architect a couple years before he designed the Brown. Less expensive but the room was less than I hoped for- the water pressure and temperature of the shower dropped every time someone, somewhere, flushed a toilet. Ugly OOOOOOOLD carpet and the room was musty. I did love the seafood restaurant at the Oxford. Amazing assortment of raw oysters and a waitress who could talk about them as if they were fine wine. I believe it was McCormick's Fish House.

amwosu Jan 10th, 2005 04:58 PM

There is an old hotel in Boulder that might suit you. I am not being helpful as I don't know the name but my brother and his wife use it as a getaway from Denver when they want a little romance. Somebody on here probably knows what I'm talking about even if I don't.

berry Jan 11th, 2005 06:57 AM

amwosu - does your brother's phone or email work?

yale Jan 11th, 2005 06:57 AM

amwosu is probably talking about the Boulderado.

Patrick Jan 11th, 2005 07:03 AM

Gee, what surprising comments. I want to go back and re-explain. Some of these comments make it sound like it's not a great hotel. It WAS! I was only disappointed in the lack of the old fashioned traditional decor in my room. Any other place I'd have been thrilled with the place -- the service, the room itself, and even the beautiful furnishings and decor. I didn't mean to imply it wasn't worth the money as fine hotel -- it was.

sjde53 Jan 11th, 2005 07:10 AM

I too have only eaten there, not stayed there. I have stayed at the Oxford twice. Once we were disappointed in the room, but the other time, we had probably the nicest room we'd EVER stayed in anywhere. It was one of their Victorian Deluxe rooms, an exterior room. Beautiful high four-poster bed, wonderful linens, the bathroom and furniture all in the old style, yet updated. We also loved the lobby and McCormicks restaurant.

Sue

toffiefl Jan 12th, 2005 05:42 AM

We stayed at the Brown Palace a couple of years ago on our way back from a ski trip. Over the years we have traveled to Europe often since my husband worked for a German company, we lived in Latin America for 30 years and of course have traveled extensively in the States. In all those years the absolute best personal service we have ever experienced was at the Brown Palace. Tea (or cocktails) in the lobby with live music is not to be missed, the rooms were very comfortable and the ambiance and history of the hotel so very special. The morning we left I called room service at the last moment to request boxed lunches for the flight home and they were delivered within minutes. We were so impressed and pleased with the hotel and would stay there again in a heartbeat.

amwosu Jan 12th, 2005 06:42 AM

We toured Molly Brown's home in the morning then visited the Brown for a look around and a meal. We also took pictures of ourselves on the balcony at the same spot President Clinton stood during his stay there.

Grasshopper Jan 12th, 2005 07:41 AM

Did anyone see the ghost?

Diz01 Jan 12th, 2005 09:36 AM

Wwe stayed there last September for one night. Room was well furnished and lovely big comfortable bed, loads of hot water etc. Helpful staff etc

But 2 big disappointments. 1. The food in the bar/restaurant was nothing special but we were jet lagged (and breakfast was good). 2. The air conditioning in the room was at tornado level. It can't be controlled from within the room so we asked at reception and they turned it down there. That reduced the noise level but at 3.00 in the morning we were roasting hot and the windows wouldn't open.

Our feeling is it is pretty expensive for what you get.

Cats_Do_Dance Jan 14th, 2005 11:32 AM

Thanks to everyone who replied.

After re-reading all the reviews we could find and talking it over as a family, we've decided to go ahead and stay at the Brown Palace. We have no idea when we might return to Colorado after our trip this summer and didn't want to kick ourselves for "not" staying overnight at The Brown when we had the chance.

Thanks again!

Cats